Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   To all members not reading the rules.....concerning names in posts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183625)

Leon 02-19-2014 01:52 PM

To all members not reading the rules.....concerning names in posts

Here is the deal. I am tired of reminding members to put their full names by posts where they give opinions...good, bad or indifferent. Later today, and from here on out for the foreseeable future, I will be adding full names per the rules...and when I add them there won't be any going back as they are permanent. If you don't like it, I don't care. If you don't want your full name attached to your opinion of someone or a business, then don't post one. Thanks and happy collecting....

here is the verbiage, at the top of every page, that no one seems to read but will be more enforced from here on out...

"If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post."

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-19-2014 01:53 PM

Leon - Just to be clear do we need to give our full name if we comment on the authenticity of a card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon 02-19-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1243836)
Leon - Just to be clear do we need to give our full name if we comment on the authenticity of a card?

IS that an opinion of someone or a business?

Now, if someone is selling one and you think it is bad......and you state that, then yes, probably.

Here is why......lets say you are selling a card. And then I come on anonymously saying, no way...that card is fake as a 3 dollar bill!!!! Would you want to know who is saying that?

and this thread especially pertains to many of the threads on the front page right now. I see around a dozen posts where I am going to start putting full names by the users name....meaning it will be in ALL of their posts here on out.....again, that is the rule. If you don't want that to happen then edit out your opinion.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-19-2014 01:59 PM

Not trying to be a jerk. Just want to make sure I understand the rules.

Leon 02-19-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1243841)
Not trying to be a jerk. Just want to make sure I understand the rules.

and I didn't take it that way at all. I just get tired of enforcing the rules and I have the ability to put names under user id's that are permanent. I will put periods between letters so they won't be google searchable, but I won't have to remind that member again. A first name and last initial won't do it either. I truly believe that rule helps our forum immeasurably. Say whatever you want to, for the most part, just put your name next to it.

bnorth 02-19-2014 05:09 PM

I do not understand why putting periods between letters would make them so they are not google searchable. Is it because then you can not just copy and paste? Sorry if this is a dumb question I just do not understand.

I put my real name by my user name to avoid having to remember to add it when needed because one of my first posts was calling out a scammer of altered cards on ebay. I think it is a great rule.

Sean1125 02-19-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1243920)
I do not understand why putting periods between letters would make them so they are not google searchable. Is it because then you can not just copy and paste? Sorry if this is a dumb question I just do not understand.

I put my real name by my user name to avoid having to remember to add it when needed because one of my first posts was calling out a scammer of altered cards on ebay. I think it is a great rule.

If you search for "Sean Bassik" on google it shows up. But if it is typed S.ean Bas.sik, then unless someone searched exactly that it wouldn't pop up.

EvilKing00 02-19-2014 05:21 PM

Just an fyi - below my posts is a link to my business website, which has my name, number and whatever. Please dont call me after 11 as i will most likely be asleep lolol.:D

Bestdj777 02-19-2014 05:30 PM

Rayl 02-19-2014 06:20 PM

Sorry everyone. This is related to a post I made commenting on someone having overpriced cards on eBay. I didn't think that was a big deal. I should have read the rules and I didn't.

Leon - I apologize for you having to monitor more closely. I did not do it intentionally.

Apologies, Ray Leonzi

Bestdj777 02-19-2014 06:27 PM

Leon,

I posted earlier but deleted it because I figured I should read the rules again before asking a question. Does this apply to both positive and negative posts? For example, can we recommend auctions we have had good luck with, businesses we frequent, and members we have had good deals with? The excerpt you provided would suggest that this is not appropriate but the rules on anonymous posting imply it only applies to criticism.

Apart from weighing in on fakes, I don't feel the need to post anything negative. But, I wouldn't want my clients googling me and learning what a nerd I am.

Thanks,

Chris

bnorth 02-19-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1243957)
I wouldn't want my clients googling me and learning what a nerd I am.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris we collect pictures of young athletic men in uniforms, we are all nerds.:D

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-19-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1243962)
Chris we collect pictures of young athletic men in uniforms, we are all nerds.:D

Hahaha

CW 02-19-2014 06:38 PM

Don't worry, Chris. I'm sure all your clients already know what a nerd you are.

:D ;)

Leon 02-19-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestdj777 (Post 1243957)
Leon,

I posted earlier but deleted it because I figured I should read the rules again before asking a question. Does this apply to both positive and negative posts? For example, can we recommend auctions we have had good luck with, businesses we frequent, and members we have had good deals with? The excerpt you provided would suggest that this is not appropriate but the rules on anonymous posting imply it only applies to criticism.

Apart from weighing in on fakes, I don't feel the need to post anything negative. But, I wouldn't want my clients googling me and learning what a nerd I am.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris
I will have to go back over the rules and refine them if they are not clear. The rule is fairly easy though. Just like it says at the top of every page. It doesn't say what kind of opinion on purpose. That is because ANY opinion positive or negative should really have a full name by it. That being said the name rule is enforced much less due to positive remarks than negative ones. The reason it's there is for the mere fact we don't know if the person saying something positive is a shill for whomever they speak of. I know it sounds a bit far fetched, but it isn't. I don't want this place to be sterile either so try not to come down too hard too often. But when I see thread(s) on the main page, with multiple people in each one, giving negative opinions or remarks anonymously, then I have to say something. It's important, imo, to keep the rule in place. I am on a few other boards, which allow anonymity even when bashing, and I think it sucks.

Bestdj777 02-19-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1243968)
Don't worry, Chris. I'm sure all your clients already know what a nerd you are.

:D ;)

Hahaha, I am not positive they even know my name yet. But, when they do, I am sure they will quickly discover what a nerd I am. The cards with pictures of baseball cards on them are just the start of it. I also have a collection of West Highland Terrier (picture little white fluffy dogs) tobacco cards.

Leon, thanks for clarifying. I really appreciate your willingness to address comments and questions.

the 'stache 02-20-2014 12:36 AM

Leon, I don't understand why there is any issue with this rule at all. It's impossible to miss atop the forum, and it's unambiguous in its wording.

I get there might be some people who wish to discuss vintage cards, and not provide their full name (celebs, for one, might wish to maintain their privacy). And that's fine. But when one starts engaging in commentary beyond the collectibles themselves, opining about the people in the hobby, and their business practices, then these words can clearly have ramifications. That they are said in a virtual setting does not change that fact.

I think the relative anonymity of the internet has allowed people to get away murder (metaphorically speaking) for too long, and I strongly support the application of this rule. I relish the opportunity to speak on a myriad of topics without fear of censorship-that, along with the quality of people who frequent our forum, make Net 54 my favorite place on the web. But I am ever mindful that I could be held accountable for my words if I cross a line.

Rich Klein 02-20-2014 02:44 AM

Bill:

I agree with you 100 percent, and Leon and myself actually discuss this often. The issue is not really if you give an opinion on a T-206 condition but really more if the issue can be somewhat controversial. As you said, and correctly, with the internet many people starting making posts without having to say their name. Well, frankly, one of the reasons this board has survived is that if you say something, you can be held accountable with your name. Makes a big diffference.

Rich

toledo_mudhen 02-20-2014 05:10 AM

Cant believe there is so much "discussion" on this. We all know each other - why would it be such a big deal to simply add your name to a post where you provide an opinion - or even just simply post something. Pretty sure the Chinese government is not trolling the Nerd Boards looking for their next mark.

Misha 02-20-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1243962)

Lol! Which sounds worse, collecting young men's pictures, or collecting their dirty clothes!? Especially when you spend more on their dirty laundry than your own clothes :D

drmondobueno 02-20-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha (Post 1244072)
Lol! Which sounds worse, collecting young men's pictures, or collecting their dirty clothes!? Especially when you spend more on their dirty laundry than your own clothes :D

D*mn. We've been found out:D:D:D I guess it would be too much to ask to not tell anyone? Gotta go, ran out of Tide.

ooo-ribay 02-20-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 1244066)
Pretty sure the Chinese government is not trolling the Nerd Boards looking for their next mark.

I'd be more worried about our own government :eek: ;)

Peter_Spaeth 02-20-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1244184)
I'd be more worried about our own government :eek: ;)

I'm not worried. I'm sitting on my porch with my cache of weapons and my survival gear, waiting for Obama and the New World Order. :D

7nohitter 02-20-2014 11:18 AM

It's not that difficult folks: You say it, you own it!

An.Dre.W M$il&&e$r (not the Red Sox pitcher)

EvilKing00 02-20-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1244197)
I'm not worried. I'm sitting on my porch with my cache of weapons and my survival gear, waiting for Obama and the New World Order. :D

Same here

steve B 02-20-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1244197)

That's some fun stuff there:D

When I worked in a convenience store we had a customer who came in to get "soldier of fortune" magazine. (A supposed mercenary/survivalist thing) One month it was late. I told him the magazines came in on Thursdays which was fine. Thursday came, and I put the brand new copies front and center in the magazine rack at eye level- We had hardly any magazine sales so it wasn't a problem.
He arrives, camo pants, utility belt that even Batman could like, a watchband with a watch cover to eliminate a possibility of glare, and a fluorescent orange sleeveless mesh shirt :eek: Looks at the magazine rack and asks if the new ones have come in, "Yeah, they're on the rack" "where" "Eye level center" "OH!"
As I rung it up I said that if society did actually collapse I hoped to meet him. When he asked why I just said oh, no reason. :D

He never did get it but remained a regular.

Steve Birmingham

Bestdj777 02-20-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misha (Post 1244072)

Haha, my significant other is very understanding of the baseball cards but cannot comprehend the few game used things. She just cannot understand why a sweaty hat made its way onto a bookshelf near her tea set.

ElCabron 02-20-2014 10:50 PM

I don't understand why it's not mandatory for people to put their name by every post, not just "opinionated" ones. Just add it to your tagline, or underneath your avatar. There are some guys that have been posting here for years and I still have no idea what their actual names are. If you really need anonymity, maybe a public forum isn't for you.

-Ryan

freakhappy 02-20-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1244473)
I don't understand why it's not mandatory for people to put their name by every post, not just "opinionated" ones. Just add it to your tagline, or underneath your avatar. There are some guys that have been posting here for years and I still have no idea what their actual names are. If you really need anonymity, maybe a public forum isn't for you.

-Ryan

Let's find out!

Hey Leon, why is it not mandatory for everyone to have their name by every post...Ryan would like to know :confused:

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal if you do or not. I respect the rules put in place and try to knowingly honor them, but I have no problem if someone doesn't want to put their name out there per the rules. Otherwise, I think if someone wants you to know their name, they'll tell you.

the 'stache 02-20-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

-Ryan

Imagine if somebody like Derek Jeter, a man that is intensely private, collected vintage baseball cards, and in an attempt to learn more about his hobby, he signed up on Net 54. He could ask questions, and participate in general discussions, while maintaining his privacy at the same time. If he were forced to disclose his real name, think about the number of questions, and requests, he'd be inundated with.

There are over 70,000 active members on this forum, and nearly 200,000 in total. There are bound to be some pretty famous people among them. In fact, we know that there are. They should be able to log on and enjoy themselves the same way that you or I do.

wonkaticket 02-21-2014 03:50 AM

Not sure I care either way. However I will say the only thing that has ever come out of posting my name. Was making Nash's website with a public tally of my spending habits and ending up on another guys website as part of his daily blog about chickens, Jeff Lichtman and so on. So I can see why some folks say no thanks and keep to the shadows.

barrysloate 02-21-2014 04:04 AM

It's nice to know with whom you are communicating, and I've always thought everyone should put their name out. But after giving it a little more consideration, I think Leon has found the right balance. You can discuss Drum backs anonymously, but if you want to badmouth a dealer put your name out. It is amazing the things people will say on a chatboard when they can do so anonymously and not have to be accountable for it.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-21-2014 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1244480)
Imagine if somebody like Derek Jeter, a man that is intensely private, collected vintage baseball cards, and in an attempt to learn more about his hobby, he signed up on Net 54. He could ask questions, and participate in general discussions, while maintaining his privacy at the same time. If he were forced to disclose his real name, think about the number of questions, and requests, he'd be inundated with.

There are over 70,000 active members on this forum, and nearly 200,000 in total. There are bound to be some pretty famous people among them. In fact, we know that there are. They should be able to log on and enjoy themselves the same way that you or I do.

I used to collect comic books and was a member of a very small forum. There was a meeting at comic con and everyone was shocked when Billy Corrigan showed up. He was a member of the board and nobody knew.

Leon 02-21-2014 06:49 AM

As John mentioned, there can be reasons when folks don't want to be known but still participate. One long time member (still is) has/had a public position and didn't think it would be good for him to be known. There are some people who just don't want to be known on a public chat board. I sort of understand.

However, It's not like names are really that searchable if you put spaces or characters, periods etc.....in between a few letters. But we have debated this many, many times over the years. It is a solid rule that, while is much more difficult to enforce than having it all one way or the other, is best for our forum. I am always open for debate but would be shocked if there was a convincing reason (in my mind) to change.

As I said previously, I am on a few other boards, and when someone throws barbs your way it really stinks to not know who the coward is. I feel strongly that people need stand behind what they say if it is controversial or opinionated. And I side on the name needing to be there if it is a close call. This rule and our registration process causes a few folks not to be members, and that is a good thing in my mind. If they want to be 100% anonymous and not give contact info to me, or not play by our rules, then so be it. There are plenty of other forums that allow anonymity.

barrysloate 02-21-2014 07:14 AM

I find it funny that people will put their entire lives out on Facebook- what they had for dinner, how many times they went to the bathroom, and even include pictures- but when it comes to Net54, they become very secretive. I'm the first to admit I don't really understand the FB phenomenon and the information age. I guess some of the older generation have been left behind.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-21-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1244524)
I find it funny that people will put their entire lives out on Facebook- what they had for dinner, how many times they went to the bathroom, and even include pictures- but when it comes to Net54, they become very secretive. I'm the first to admit I don't really understand the FB phenomenon and the information age. I guess some of the older generation have been left behind.

I think Facebook has gotten to the point of ridiculousness. Why does everyone need to know where you are all the time?

Peter_Spaeth 02-21-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

-Ryan

+ many

bnorth 02-21-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1244525)
I think Facebook has gotten to the point of ridiculousness. Why does everyone need to know where you are all the time?

Yes the criminals do. Then they know when to rob your house or abduct someone.

Paul S 02-21-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

-Ryan

There can be many legitimate reasons why a person chooses to not use their last name on a public forum. You just need to widen your mind about why. Here's some of my own:

- Name similar to a famous record producer who is currently incarcerated. I get emails or asked in person, although that is dying out which I assume is due to some of them are now either deceased or too young to know or care about his name. And you know, I am not a prison penpal (different than prison paypal option).

I get contacted because some people think:
- I am actually a serial killer (this is for people who can not distinguish between television and reality).
- I am a psychologist/author (there's many of them)
- I am a doctor (many of them too)
- I am a DDS (Hi Pete! Can I sue myself for performing my own unlicensed extractions?:eek:)
- I am a Nazi hunter
- I am being pursued by Nazi hunters
- Permission to use "my" survey about Predictors of Job Satisfaction for Gay, Lesbian and Bisexuals" (not that there's anything wrong with that:))

I could go on.
- In the eighties when I lived in Manhattan I received a phone call from a woman, who looked up my name in the phone book, and told me she had a great time chatting (in person) with me the night before. I had a difficult and lengthy time convincing her otherwise. It was actually a great conversation because I could say anything I wanted with impunity. Coincidentally, I had a friend who knew the other Paul S, although my "twin" and I had never met. Eventually we just referred the wrong callers to each other's number. (And yes, I still remember her name but don't you be cheeky and ask me -- it's been tried before).

- I have a blog, now dormant, dedicated to my father, who was a journeyman cartoonist/animator. I am well known in that community with my last name. Eventually I had to turn on comment moderation (hi Leon!) because, among many other things, I kept getting people asking about how, after forty years, to get in touch with my sibling.

Soooo...anybody I've ever had dealings with on Net54 knows my last name. I Include it in my PMs and the return address on envelopes. B&L has it since I have cards consigned...please shill on my...:D

Maybe now you get a better sense of why I don't feel like inserting my full name in posts. It might keep me from registering a strong opinion but I like the peace of mind.

Pa.ul $p3(t.or
(There, you all feel better now?):)

slipk1068 02-21-2014 10:43 AM

My concern is always my home being burglarized. Someone who knows my name can look my up my address and they may think I keep expensive cards around the house.

I keep my expensive cards in 2 Safe Deposit Boxes, but someone searching the internet wouldn't know that. I also have 3 very large dogs, and enough guns/ammo to start a war but would prefer not to go that route.

Kawika 02-21-2014 12:17 PM

Hi Guys!

http://photos.imageevent.com/kawika_...20McDonald.jpg

ALR-bishop 02-21-2014 12:23 PM

DM

No use trying to hide in the crowd, David

Gary Dunaier 02-21-2014 12:28 PM

My real name is Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönedanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

:eek:

hangman62 02-21-2014 01:02 PM

name

Gary,
I was just gonna do something like that !
I don't like giving my full name for fear that someone will recognize me as a grown man who still collecting baseball cards !

Ralph G

slipk1068 02-21-2014 01:20 PM

You have a common name. Congratulations. And your point is?

sportscardpete 02-21-2014 01:32 PM

Glad I changed my name to "Mclovin"

timzcardz 02-21-2014 01:35 PM

I'm not sure that I could imagine the hoopla if my buddy Santa Claus signed up and posted here.

And yes, there is a Santa Claus, as that is actually his legal name!

ElCabron 02-21-2014 02:04 PM

Does this mean I need to put my real name, or can I still use this Ryan Christoff alias?

-Derek Jeter

Jaybird 02-21-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCabron (Post 1244717)
Does this mean I need to put my real name, or can I still use this Ryan Christoff alias?

-Derek Jeter

Congrats on the great career and finishing on top. Now you can focus on baseball cards.

Cardboard Junkie 02-21-2014 02:20 PM

Bitches confuse me with George Clooney all the time.