Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   same autograph-2 differant current auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185811)

tazdmb 04-02-2014 08:34 AM

same autograph-2 differant current auctions

The Same Grover Alexander is being offered in 2 different auctions-

http://www.iconicmemorabilia.com/Lot...SA%2fDNA-Grade

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILLIES-GRO...p2056016.l4276

I know the ebay will most likely not sell, but is the cosigner asleep at the wheel?

djson1 04-02-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1261507)
The Same Grover Alexander is being offered in 2 different auctions-....

I know the ebay will most likely not sell, but is the cosigner asleep at the wheel?

No, not asleep at the wheel...but probably just greedy. Which makes me wonder...is this ebay seller somebody at the auction house? Because if it sold on ebay while it's on consignment and in possession by the auction house...how is it going to be shipped out?

earlywynnfan 04-02-2014 10:16 AM

They are sister companies; if one sells the item, the other will pull it.

bender07 04-02-2014 11:15 AM

How about this one...different ebay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Rookie-...item3cde77517a

http://www.iconicmemorabilia.com/Lot...ture-%28JSA%29

tazdmb 04-02-2014 12:18 PM

That is really odd, nice find. I am tempted to call the auction house and ask them about this.

Michael B 04-02-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bender07 (Post 1261583)

The ebay seller is in Cave Creek, Arizona which appears to be about 20 miles north of Scottsdale. Iconic lists a Scottsdale address on the bottom of their site.

Serious ethical possible legal issues here. "I am offering this item in an open/public auction, however, if I sell it for the price I want on another platform you are stuff out of luck." I may as well list everything I am bringing to The National on ebay starting on the Monday before with a BIN price. If you come to my table and want to purchase it you will need to wait until I check to see if someone purchased it on ebay before I can sell it to you or vice versa.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 04-02-2014 12:58 PM

I have never seen a Mantle quite like that. When did he change his signature?

bender07 04-02-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1261638)
I have never seen a Mantle quite like that. When did he change his signature?

That was his 'rookie' style. Throughout the 50's he got closer to his more familiar 90's show circuit style.

bender07 04-02-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1261624)
The ebay seller is in Cave Creek, Arizona which appears to be about 20 miles north of Scottsdale. Iconic lists a Scottsdale address on the bottom of their site.

Serious ethical possible legal issues here. "I am offering this item in an open/public auction, however, if I sell it for the price I want on another platform you are stuff out of luck." I may as well list everything I am bringing to The National on ebay starting on the Monday before with a BIN price. If you come to my table and want to purchase it you will need to wait until I check to see if someone purchased it on ebay before I can sell it to you or vice versa.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with the scenario you proposed. I think this is more muddy. So I go out and put a bid on the Mantle on the Iconic site but you hit the BIN on ebay; now what? I'm sure the auction rules state that my bid is binding.

joed25 04-02-2014 03:07 PM

They are the same company. They are constantly putting things in their auction and then relisting them on eBay if they don't get a high enough price.

Shoeless Moe 04-02-2014 03:13 PM

yah good luck ever trying to win something from one of their auctions, the prices are insanely high.

So figuring that would be good to consign to them, they never got back to me after several emails asking to consign some high dollar items.

Very odd for an auction house not to want consigned items.

And with those high prices, definately makes me think something is up there.

Big Dave 04-02-2014 03:53 PM

Perhaps these are not consignments, but actually owned by the auction house. Wouldn't be.the.first auction company to behave in this manner.

Michael B 04-02-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bender07 (Post 1261656)
I actually wouldn't have a problem with the scenario you proposed. I think this is more muddy. So I go out and put a bid on the Mantle on the Iconic site but you hit the BIN on ebay; now what? I'm sure the auction rules state that my bid is binding.

I would not disagree. Your bid is binding as to your obligation. Think of your scenario in a different way. You enter a bid on the auction, say $697.85 on the last night of bidding. I see it on ebay with a buy it now after you enter your bid. I buy it for $750.00. Your bid is not topped and the auction runs its course. You think you've won the auction and once you pay you will be the proud owner of a nice 'rookie era' Mantle signature. You go to the website and see that your top bid did not reach the 'hidden reserve'. You cannot do much about that. A week later, I am now in possession of MY 'rookie era' Mantle and I post a scan of it in the 'April pickups' on Net54. You see it and say what the *&#$%%. You drop me a nice PM asking about it and I tell you that I purchased it as a buy it now on ebay on April -fill in the date. This is the same day you entered what you thought was your winning bid on the auction site. From my perspective that would suck eggs. And since I own it Nyah, nyah!!!

djson1 04-03-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1261686)
yah good luck ever trying to win something from one of their auctions, the prices are insanely high.

So figuring that would be good to consign to them, they never got back to me after several emails asking to consign some high dollar items.

Very odd for an auction house not to want consigned items.

And with those high prices, definately makes me think something is up there.

When did you write to them? Maybe they're still getting around to it. I once sent them an email about consigning items as well and they took about a month to get back to me. Needless to say, I didn't respond and decided to go to another auction house.

bender07 04-11-2014 06:01 PM

Shady

https://www.iconicmemorabilia.com/Lo...px?lotid=50512

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...item3cdfa834d0

gnaz01 04-12-2014 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Similar thing happened to me:

I saw Probstein123 offer an Abraham Lincoln signed military appointment on eBay, and it was GORGEOUS!!!! I emailed him and asked him what he would take for it, and he replied and we agreed so I bought it.

Now here's the rub: when I showed it to my buddy, he said that it had just sold at Premier Auctions a few weeks ago, Lot #1. Weird!! When I got the package, it was shipped to me FROM Premier Auctions!! :confused:

So, did the sale not complete, was it shill bid at Premier, etc??

Regardless of the situation, I am EXTREMELY happy to own it, and it is gorgeous!!

Thoughts???

Greg

bender07 04-12-2014 05:37 PM

Sorry wrong URL from Iconic. Still shady business. I would never purchase from them.

khw 04-13-2014 03:22 PM

yep the funny thing this auction was the same night as huggins and vsa auction , a week ago i had more bids in this auction than the vsa and i think huggins , after looking at the bids i thought something was up , my prices are fair , some are high but i know what the stuff is work , i sell alot and know what level things are going to sell for , well when you have a auction like this and a item like a pucket psa/dna baseball gets to be well over what you can buy 20 on ebay for and then all the items start creeping up , then i see this topic on here , hummmm the mantle is still on ebay , well i spent about $26,000.00 total on thurs night and guess what didnt advance one bid and ended up spending zero with iconic , so not sure whats up but there is a auction every week too fishy when i can put a max bid on 450.00 in huggins and see that i won it at 150 , and not go on ebay a week later and see it for 2000.00

tazdmb 04-13-2014 05:05 PM

Odd thing is Alexander was "won" but still on eBay, I think a case could be made for shill bidding.

khw 04-13-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1265504)
Odd thing is Alexander was "won" but still on eBay, I think a case could be made for shill bidding.

i was the backup bidder it appears on the alexander , was outbid a few days earlier , i just had a bad feeling about this auction

djson1 04-14-2014 11:53 AM

Interesting stuff. They have also put up a few items that keep showing up in successive auctions and I was wondering how they would be consigned so quickly when it supposedly just sold in the previous auction. Now, I am suspicious. This makes me lose confidence in their auctions.

MikeKam 04-14-2014 01:26 PM

I've seen the Mantle, the Freddie Mercury, the Jackie Robison MLK page and other items back on eBay as soon as the auction finished. I think the ID was autographs-for-sale for some of the items.