Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many native-born HOF autos do you have? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=189510)

clydepepper 06-15-2014 05:05 PM

How many native-born HOF autos do you have?

2 Attachment(s)
Georgia has only six native Hall-of-Famers. l have had Frank Thomas for a while and just picked up Bill Terry and Johnny Mize.

The other three, however, are far out of my financial reach:

Cobb, Jackie, and Josh

How many native HOF autos do you have?

Attachment 149047
Attachment 149048

bnorth 06-15-2014 06:41 PM

Very cool, I had never thought about collecting players from my home state. Without researching it I think Sparky Anderson is the only person in the HOF from South Dakota.

We do have 4 current players Sean Doolittle, Justin Duchscherer, Mark Ellis, and Jason Kubel. Former player Kerry Lightenberg is from here and is my sister is laws cousin.

clydepepper 06-15-2014 06:48 PM

Lightningbug!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1287965)
Very cool, I had never thought about collecting players from my home state. Without researching it I think Sparky Anderson is the only person in the HOF from South Dakota.

We do have 4 current players Sean Doolittle, Justin Duchscherer, Mark Ellis, and Jason Kubel. Former player Kerry Lightenberg is from here and is my sister is laws cousin.

Member of one of the all-time best top-to-bottom bullpens!

WillowGrove 06-15-2014 08:31 PM

Interesting Idea

1 Attachment(s)
I also never thought about collecting HOFers by my home state - but of the few signed cards I own I do have one player that checks-in from the great state of New York. The Fordham Flash is from the Bronx, I'm from Brooklyn.

When I acquire a signed card of Brooklyn-born Willie Keeler, I'll post it in this thread too. :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-15-2014 08:36 PM

HOF players from Florida might not be doable.

bnorth 06-15-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1288014)
HOF players from Florida might not be doable.

Not sure how many are in the HOF but Florida has had 460 guys that made it to the majors. Did not notice till I looked at the list, one of my favorite players Tino Martinez was born in Tampa. He is one of my favorites because I went to a lot of Yankee games when he played there and at the end of every inning he would throw the game ball to a kid in the stands and I do mean every inning. A total class act in my opinion.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 06-15-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1288025)
Not sure how many are in the HOF but Florida has had 460 guys that made it to the majors. Did not notice till I looked at the list, one of my favorite players Tino Martinez was born in Tampa. He is one of my favorites because I went to a lot of Yankee games when he played there and at the end of every inning he would throw the game ball to a kid in the stands and I do mean every inning. A total class act in my opinion.

Think was a great player. I think he got a raw deal with the Marlins.

the 'stache 06-15-2014 09:31 PM

I've never thought of pursuing this. What a cool idea. Unfortunately, I'm thinking completing an autograph collection of the 4 native Wisconsin Hall of Famers is pretty much impossible. Once you see the names, you'll know why: Al Simmons, Kid Nichols, Burleigh Grimes and Addie Joss.

I've seen examples from Simmons. He's signed photos, balls, and the occasional baseball card. And of course there are checks that he signed.

Kid Nichols isn't that difficult. I've seen cut autos of his. Also, signed index cards that have been authenticated by JSA and PSA/DNA.

The same can be said for Burleigh Grimes. He lived until 1985, when he was 92 years old. Several examples of his signature exist.

The toughie (and I'd say "toughie" is an understatement) is Addie Joss. I have never seen an example of his signature, and I'd say it would be near impossible for a private collector to obtain. I don't even know if an exemplar exists. As difficult as Shoeless Joe Jackson's signature is to acquire, I'm betting the Joss autograph makes the Shoeless Joe sig look almost common. Joss is the one that makes completing this set of 4 pretty much impossible.

itjclarke 06-15-2014 09:48 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Lots of CA HOFers, especially considering guys who moved there as kids like Jackie Robinson, Rickey Henderson, Willie Stargell, etc. I've got a handful of them, but am a bit ashamed I still don't have any sigs of SF HOFers- Joe D, Harry Heilmann, Joe Cronin, Lefty Gomez, Tony Lazzeri.

Here are the CA guys I've got scans of...

Attachment 149069Attachment 149073Attachment 149074Attachment 149070
Drysdale and Snider on a Dodgers ball..
Attachment 149071Attachment 149072

Also have sigs of Stargell, Rickey Henderson, Joe Morgan, Bob Lemon, Seaver, but no scans or pics. I would love to add old D Stars or Goudeys of Lazerri, Gomez, Cronin and a nice Dimaggio ball at some point if anyone's selling!

mighty bombjack 06-15-2014 09:58 PM

Exactly one born in my home state of Colorado: Rich "Goose" Gossage.

I met him and got his auto at a book signing. Cool guy and personalized it to me.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...FT/Gossage.jpg

clydepepper 06-15-2014 11:05 PM

To Alex & Ben-

Three native Floridians:

Steve Carlton
Andre Dawson

- and the tough one

Pop Lloyd