Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Question about this Babe Ruth Signed Ball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190208)

LCBaseballCollector 06-30-2014 02:44 PM

Question about this Babe Ruth Signed Ball

2 Attachment(s)
Hello...what do you guys make of this signed Babe Ruth baseball? It is in the new Coach's Corner Sports Auctions and it SAYS (no proof shown) that it comes with a PSA/DNA cert, as well as a cert from Andrew Bradley. Who the hell is Andrew Bradley?

The "words" PSA/DNA must carry some weight because it's already at over $2,000, and I bet it will be fetch ten times that of this beauty which Babe has been so kind to note that he is the "Home Run King".

barrysloate 06-30-2014 02:48 PM

You're going to want to stay away from this one.

keithsky 06-30-2014 02:58 PM

I don't think I have ever seen Ruth sign Home Run King. You should ask those clowns to send you a picture of the cert and then post it cause it will tell what the cert number is. Plus in there strange little world over there the letters PSA doesn't nessesarilly mean the original PSA it could mean some made up compnay they have and used the letters.

shelly 06-30-2014 04:17 PM

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bigdaddy 06-30-2014 09:29 PM

If you ask nice, maybe they could have them personalized any way you want.

canjond 06-30-2014 10:35 PM

As an FYI - I believe the OP is saying that the ball on the left is purported to have the PSA/DNA cert. Additionally, the ball on the right (and obvious forgery) is also being sold in the same auction, but that's not the purported PSA/DNA cert'ed ball, hence why the OP states that the ball on the left will sell for much more.

thetruthisoutthere 07-01-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCBaseballCollector (Post 1292938)
Hello...what do you guys make of this signed Babe Ruth baseball? It is in the new Coach's Corner Sports Auctions and it SAYS (no proof shown) that it comes with a PSA/DNA cert, as well as a cert from Andrew Bradley. Who the hell is Andrew Bradley?

The "words" PSA/DNA must carry some weight because it's already at over $2,000, and I bet it will be fetch ten times that of this beauty which Babe has been so kind to note that he is the "Home Run King".

Laughable forgery of Babe Ruth.

gnaz01 07-01-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1293085)
Laughable forgery of Babe Ruth.

Agreed, absolutely horrible!!

thetruthisoutthere 07-01-2014 05:01 AM

Roach's Korner Babe Ruth Lee Trythall Scott Malack

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1293087)
Agreed, absolutely horrible!!

I have yet to see an authentic Babe Ruth sig listed by Lee Trythall and Scott Malack.

GrayGhost 07-01-2014 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1293088)
I have yet to see an authentic Babe Ruth sig listed by Lee Trythall and Scott Malack.

and likely never will.

RichardSimon 07-01-2014 10:43 AM

But CC is having a special now,,, in addition to a fake ball with Home Run King, you can get fakes with Champion Hot Dog Eater, Big Time Ladies Man, Tony Lazzeri is a lousy player, I always hated Miller Huggins and Earle Combs is overrated and should not be in the HOF. Personalization is extra and no photos allowed.

LCBaseballCollector 07-01-2014 12:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I do think less of Pete Rose because apparently he was somehow involved in the death of Kennedy by the inscription on the side of one of the balls.

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was asking the opinion of the board of the scan on the left that has (without proof) authentication by PSA/DNA, and Andrew Bradley who is unknown to me.

And look at these beauties for s**ts and giggles. Simply wow.

Klrdds 07-01-2014 01:04 PM

Even over the internet these balls smell bad. Whoever is signing their stuff is getting worse with their signatures. I always thought practice made perfect but these guys are giving that slogan a bad name also. Their stuff is so bad that they do not even need responses anymore.

shelly 07-01-2014 01:40 PM

I think you got a fair opinon from some very good people. It stinks.:eek:

khkco4bls 07-01-2014 02:19 PM

Wipe ur ass with those

RichardSimon 07-01-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCBaseballCollector (Post 1293201)
I do think less of Pete Rose because apparently he was somehow involved in the death of Kennedy by the inscription on the side of one of the balls.

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was asking the opinion of the board of the scan on the left that has (without proof) authentication by PSA/DNA, and Andrew Bradley who is unknown to me.

And look at these beauties for s**ts and giggles. Simply wow.

Andrew Bradley was a forensic examiner (who at one time may or may not have been partnered with other forensic examiners of renown). He is now in the same place as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, etc. but his masterpieces live on.

shelly 07-01-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1293261)
Andrew Bradley was a forensic examiner (who at one time may or may not have been partnered with other forensic examiners of renown). He is now in the same place as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, etc. but his masterpieces live on.

Andrew Bradley is not part of any crew. He is an expert in his filed.

That being said. I will tell you that he is not a person that I would trust with a Babe Ruth signiture. I am sure if it went to court he would have a big edge over Jsa and Psa, which is not saying a whole lot. I have no idea why he would authenticate that piece but it will be fun to find out.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for document examination, September 23, 2000
By Andrew Bradley, Forensic Document Examiner
This review is from: Document Examiner Textbook (Hardcover)
This book provides an extensive survey of the entire field of document examination. It serves as an instruction manual as well as an historic and technical reference. Its contents are well organized and accessible, making this complex subject easy to understand. I highly recommend this book for both new and experienced document examiners, as well as for attorneys, investigators, and others who are interested in this field.

drcy 07-01-2014 05:45 PM

Bradly taught courses in forensic document examination and was the chief document examiner for Denver's county sheriff's department. I'm no autograph expert and can't knowledgeably give opinion on anyone's expertise in the area, but know he was a well known guy.

btcarfagno 07-01-2014 05:49 PM

The dreaded Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson Sharpie autographs. Talk about scarce.

Tom C

shelly 07-01-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcarfagno (Post 1293301)
The dreaded Babe Ruth and Joe Jackson Sharpie autographs. Talk about scarce.

Tom C

That is what I can never understand. Really good guys that belive they are right can be so wrong. All they need to do is research and they would turn them down in a second. :confused:

Shoeless Moe 07-01-2014 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1293163)
But CC is having a special now,,, in addition to a fake ball with Home Run King, you can get fakes with Champion Hot Dog Eater, Big Time Ladies Man, Tony Lazzeri is a lousy player, I always hated Miller Huggins and Earle Combs is overrated and should not be in the HOF. Personalization is extra and no photos allowed.

Richard, explain your hatred toward Miller Huggins. Curious.

7nohitter 07-02-2014 06:50 AM

Paul,
You're joking, correct? Richard doesn't hate Miller Huggins-Babe Ruth did...Richard was adding funny inscriptions that 'Ruth' might add to an autograph!

CamaroCPA 07-02-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1293372)
Richard, explain your hatred toward Miller Huggins. Curious.

I think he is providing tongue-in-cheek examples of personalizations for fake Babe Ruth signatures.

RichardSimon 07-02-2014 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCPA (Post 1293418)
I think he is providing tongue-in-cheek examples of personalizations for fake Babe Ruth signatures.

+

jad22 07-02-2014 07:13 AM

Who is bidding on these auctions? I just don't know how they still get bidders.

gregr2 07-02-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad22 (Post 1293423)
Who is bidding on these auctions? I just don't know how they still get bidders.

My guess, people who are relatively uninformed, not doing any research and looking for a deal. The old adage still proves true, "If something sounds too good to be true..."

Shoeless Moe 07-02-2014 07:37 AM

whooops

sorry I read that wrong.

E1

Klrdds 07-02-2014 08:45 AM

Also people who deep down want to believe something is real even when logic says it is not real...emotion sometimes gets in the way.

rjackson44 07-02-2014 08:55 AM

why are these people not in jail ,month after month of pure garbage ,,,:eek:

Runscott 07-02-2014 10:44 AM

The buyers of these things could be using CC as a discount store for cheap forgeries for reselling. They get an autograph that will fool a few people and comes with a COA. They can then hide behind the COA if their buyer complains.

If you don't think there are plenty of buyers out there for this sort of stuff, just look at all the people right here on Net54 who show us an obvious forgery and ask if it's real or not, some of them even referring to COA's from scammers that we all know about, but apparently plenty of future collectors don't.

Klrdds 07-02-2014 11:22 AM

The trouble is those people still do not believe the opinions expressed here. I wonder how many people still buy a piece when the people on this site say it is not good. The majority of people believe a COA from a TPA over the experience and knowledge that is available here.
W C Fields was right " there's a sucker born every minute".

Runscott 07-02-2014 11:54 AM

I suspect some of the people who pop up here with very little feedback, asking such questions, are testing us to see what the likelihood is that they can slip their items by fools on ebay...or perhaps slip them by some of us.

Deertick 07-02-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1293497)
I suspect some of the people who pop up here with very little feedback, asking such questions, are testing us to see what the likelihood is that they can slip their items by fools on ebay...or perhaps slip them by some of us.

You think? *cough*Freddy*cough*

rjackson44 07-02-2014 01:30 PM

agree scott

gregr2 07-02-2014 01:38 PM

Good point Scott, had not thought of that.

shelly 07-02-2014 04:04 PM

I was wrong about Bradly. He was part of the Rich Solis group. I was really really wrong:o

shelly 07-02-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

That is why I have refused to answer anyone that has not been on here for at least three years. If you notice most of the crazy statements and autograph questions have come from newbe;s:eek:

Nyygameused 07-02-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1293606)
That is why I have refused to answer anyone that has not been on here for at least three years. If you notice most of the crazy statements and autograph questions have come from newbe;s:eek:

While I understand where your coming from, this blanket statement of "newbies" shouldn't be applied to everyone. I for one am just getting into vintage autos and memorabilia after nearly seven years of collecting modern stuff. As well as being an active member on another game used forum for five. My first post on this site was about a ruth auto, not because I was attempting to scam or "test the waters" it was simply because I saw the plethora of knowledge on this site.

Runscott 07-02-2014 08:43 PM

Shelly said "most", so it wasn't a blanket statement.

Nyygameused 07-02-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1293686)
Shelly said "most", so it wasn't a blanket statement.

"Anyone" to me means all. Don't want to take the thread off track, just my 2 cents.

Runscott 07-02-2014 08:57 PM

Holy cow.

Shelly - I am beginning to lean more in your direction on this.

shelly 07-03-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyygameused (Post 1293694)
"Anyone" to me means all. Don't want to take the thread off track, just my 2 cents.

I did mean anyone in regards to not helping them if there on here 3 years or less.
I meant most when it came down to comments made. :)

jad22 07-03-2014 11:57 AM

I appreciate the opinions that are given here. I used to collect HOF signed plaques but stopped. If I was concerned about the authenticity of a signature I would definitely ask here. From what I have seen posted, there are some who are trying to slip items by but for the most part I think its just people looking for advice.

7nohitter 07-03-2014 01:11 PM

I LOVE this forum and especially appreciate the help of Richard, Shelly, Jim Stinson and Chris 'thetruthisoutthere'!

The fact that these people will offer for free, what some of them make a living doing, is appreciated beyond words.

Andrew

shelly 07-03-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1293883)
I LOVE this forum and especially appreciate the help of Richard, Shelly, Jim Stinson and Chris 'thetruthisoutthere'!

The fact that these people will offer for free, what some of them make a living doing, is appreciated beyond words.

Andrew

:):):):)

gregr2 07-03-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Andrew

Well stated, couldn't agree more!!

SikSyko 07-03-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Same has happened over on SCN. A few of us thought that the person posting were doing the forging them self.

Runscott 07-03-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SikSyko (Post 1294030)
Same has happened over on SCN. A few of us thought that the person posting were doing the forging them self.

Not surprising. While reading some of the responses I started thinking of a line from Shakespeare involving protestation.

jgmp123 07-04-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Andrew

+1!!

Leon 07-05-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Andrew

I agree.. Kudo's to our members who consistently help and give of their time. The only way to stay ahead of the curve is to be vigilant.

And I think it is important to always question everything. People coming on this and other forums, with very posts asking questions about what to look for, is this good or bad etc... always get the courtesy of being vetted, overtly or covertly. I guess I am just a suspicious person. :confused: