Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Omg!!! GAI Grading Reprints.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190252)

rdwyer 07-01-2014 12:02 PM

Omg!!! GAI Grading Reprints....

How long has GAI been grading reprints? A new low for GAI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Capital...item3ce2ff530c

ullmandds 07-01-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1293186)
How long has GAI been grading reprints? A new low for GAI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Capital...item3ce2ff530c

ha ha...is a new low possible?

i have no problem with fakes being graded and labeled as fakes.

Tyler 07-01-2014 12:17 PM

OHHHH, I need that red American Beauty Joss for my back run!

bobbyw8469 07-01-2014 12:23 PM

nothing they do surprises me. desperation leads people to do stuff they normally wouldnt do.

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2014 12:24 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Topps-1...item337685bcd5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T-20...item5d4a9b83d6

SGC grades those Wagners too.

Leon 07-01-2014 12:31 PM

GAI labeled them as reprints but it's not easy to tell at first glance.

Actually, the labels do start out saying "1983 Capital" so that is fairly easy to see......As someone else stated, I have no issue grading reprints as reprints. It's free enterprise and if someone wants to pay why not let them?

bnorth 07-01-2014 12:45 PM

I also have no problem with grading reprints as long as they are labeled correctly.

GAI is a whole different story. For a good laugh check out the web site. http://www.globalauth.com/ My 2 favorite services are "certified sleeve" they put your card into a cheap card saver 2 and put a label on it.

The "Duel Certification" though is a very needed product. This service lets you get your PSA/SCG/Beckett cards certified by GAI. They even put their sticker on your PSA/SCG/Beckett slab so everyone knows it was approved by the best in the business.:eek::D:rolleyes:

drcy 07-01-2014 12:57 PM

As long as the item is accurately labelled/described is my motto. Why someone would want them graded is another question :)

Those are the old GAI labels, from years back.

Exhibitman 07-01-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdwyer (Post 1293186)
How long has GAI been grading reprints?

Since Monday...

barrysloate 07-01-2014 01:02 PM

Is there any reason that a TPG would grade reprints other than to collect a fee? There is no way this is helping the hobby in any way whatsoever.

Leon 07-01-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1293208)
Is there any reason that a TPG would grade reprints other than to collect a fee? There is no way this is helping the hobby in any way whatsoever.

It could be argued that grading reprints helps the TPG survive, and that by them surviving, it helps the hobby. Also the fact they are labeled as reprints means that anyone buying one won't be remotely fooled (not that they would be but this is safer than not being labeled reprints)

I think anyone getting one graded is kind of silly but that is just my opinion.

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

What's wrong with collecting a fee if someone submits it? I don't see the issue here as long as it's labeled a reprint.

barrysloate 07-01-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1293215)
What's wrong with collecting a fee if someone submits it? I don't see the issue here as long as it's labeled a reprint.

What purpose does it serve Peter? I thought grading services were supposed to grade original cards and reject fake ones. Isn't a reprint a fake? You know, they are actually allowed to turn something down. If I submit the cocktail napkin I got with my hot dog at Yankee Stadium, it's okay if they say we don't grade those. It's cool. Same with reprints. It's okay to turn them down. I think grading reprints cheapens the product (if such a thing is even possible).

bobbyw8469 07-01-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

If I submit the cocktail napkin I got with my hot dog at Yankee Stadium, it's okay if they say we don't grade those. It's cool. Same with reprints. It's okay to turn them down. I think grading reprints cheapens the product (if such a thing is even possible).
Hmmm....not a bad idea. No worse than one 3rd party grader grading newspaper clippings!! I have some old programs that are dog eared and falling apart. Maybe I can cut out the pictures in those and get them graded!

rdwyer 07-01-2014 02:24 PM

Many, many years ago I got Alan Hager to slab a fake Wagner. He was the only one at the time that would. Of course, it stated it was an altered reprint. My point being is that only a crook would slab fakes.

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1293218)
What purpose does it serve Peter? I thought grading services were supposed to grade original cards and reject fake ones. Isn't a reprint a fake? You know, they are actually allowed to turn something down. If I submit the cocktail napkin I got with my hot dog at Yankee Stadium, it's okay if they say we don't grade those. It's cool. Same with reprints. It's okay to turn them down. I think grading reprints cheapens the product (if such a thing is even possible).

A reprint is not a fake if it is clearly designated as such. Obviously people like them or they would not buy them. And if they want them slabbed as well, then the answer to your question is that grading them is serving a demand. Personally, I don't want reprints graded or un, but if people do, and there is no deception, then I have no issue with it at all.

barrysloate 07-01-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1293238)
A reprint is not a fake if it is clearly designated as such. Obviously people like them or they would not buy them. And if they want them slabbed as well, then the answer to your question is that grading them is serving a demand. Personally, I don't want reprints graded or un, but if people do, and there is no deception, then I have no issue with it at all.

Why bother?:(

Peter_Spaeth 07-01-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1293239)
Why bother?:(

Dunno. Why pay $100 for a Cracker Jack Babe Ruth? Search me.

barrysloate 07-01-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1293242)
Dunno. Why pay $100 for a Cracker Jack Babe Ruth? Search me.

Wouldn't pay a nickel for it. At least we agree on that one.:)

BengoughingForAwhile 07-01-2014 04:28 PM

I can see it now, in a few more years someone forging reprints and trying to get them slabbed. But would it really be forgery if you're just copying something that's already a copy? I'm confused. :)

Leon 07-01-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cubs1969 (Post 1293273)
I can see it now, in a few more years someone forging reprints and trying to get them slabbed. But would it really be forgery if you're just copying something that's already a copy? I'm confused. :)

Sounds like a comedy skit to me :). Can a reprint get an AUT?

brewing 07-01-2014 05:04 PM

With so many fake 1983 Topps 1952 Mantles, I get mine slabbed.

calvindog 07-01-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1293206)
Since Monday...

Damnit. I was going to say that.

doug.goodman 07-01-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

The only reason that a TPG grades anything is to collect a fee.

BengoughingForAwhile 07-01-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1293282)
Sounds like a comedy skit to me :). Can a reprint get an AUT?

And then the next thing to worry about, trimmed reprints! :eek:

marvymelvin 07-01-2014 07:14 PM

100% real authentic genuine forgery of a reprint.

It reminds of the juice I just bought at the gas station today. The label reads 100% real imitation flavor!!!

I can imagine the day where there is no room left on the TPG label, or the label is bigger than the card.

Authentic
Forgery of a Reprint
Trimmed
OC
Diamond Cut
Colored
(MK)

rdwyer 07-01-2014 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For Sale:

Was an original until someone altered it into a reprint. $100,000 OBO

bbeck 07-02-2014 02:30 PM

At least GAI designates them as reprints on the flip and can tell what really is a reprint. A Beckett BVG graded 1913 Joe Jackson National Game sold for $899 back on April 6th. It was a brutal reprint, as bad as it gets. Beckett graded it a 1.5. Nice work BVG.

drcy 07-02-2014 02:47 PM

The 1973 Topps '1953 Reprints' are a rare test issue by Topps that re-created 1953 Topps cards. The backs are different and give the 1973 date. These reprints-- some might call them fantasy cards because I don't think all the players appeared in the original set-- are actually many times rarer than the original 1953 issue and highly collectible. All of Topps tests issues through the years, in their various forms from cards to stamps to plaques to candy lids, are highly collectible, and some collectors specialize in them. I use '1953 Reprints' as a case where a reprint issue has value and collectibility in its own right, and and is worthy of getting graded and authenticated. Plus, these reprints are now over forty years old. An ungraded complete set of eight cards sold for over $800 at REA (which is where I got the below pics).

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...em_19249_1.jpg

As far as those 1983 T206 Reprints go, I don't morally object to them being graded, but don't understand the cost effectiveness. I would think the grading fee would be higher than the value of the card. I understand getting a 1973 Topps '1953 Reprints' Satchel Paige or Jackie Robinson graded, because the card is probably worth a few hundred dollars ... But, of course, it's not my money and I don't get to tell collectors how and where to spend their money. 'It's a free country' and 'No skin off my nose,' as they say.