Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   July Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190539)

bnorth 07-07-2014 06:46 PM

July Pickups

2 Attachment(s)
I got this amazing Bob Ojeda Red Sox Payroll check in the mail today. Traded a fellow member a very nice picture of Andrew Jackson even up for it.

I traded for this check sight unseen with no information other than it was a Bob Ojeda PR check. I get the check today and to my amazement it is dated July 31 1980 and Bob Ojeda pitched his first game for the Red Sox on July 13th making this one of the first checks he received as a Major League player.

This is the first Payroll check I have ever owned and am very happy to add it to my collection.:D

kalcott 07-08-2014 07:28 AM

That's cool. Interesting to see the amount. I wonder if that was a weekly amount or just an incentive payout, etc.

bcbgcbrcb 07-08-2014 09:20 AM

Think that was from his minor league days..........

savedfrommyspokes 07-13-2014 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome pick up Ben!

This is not my pick up, but my 7 yr old son's. We were on a Jeter (my son's favorite player) farewell tour game in Baltimore yesterday and my son (on his own) managed to get Jeter to sign this card. Jeter signed for just a handful after BP with my son and a few other kids his age managing to have Jeter sign either cards or balls for them. It was very refreshing to see Jeter sign for mainly kids and not the profiteering adults who crowded around the dugout also. My son now has something in his growing collection I do not, a signed Jeter card

cardsfan73 07-13-2014 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1297400)
Awesome pick up Ben!

This is not my pick up, but my 7 yr old son's. We were on a Jeter (my son's favorite player) farewell tour game in Baltimore yesterday and my son (on his own) managed to get Jeter to sign this card. Jeter signed for just a handful after BP with my son and a few other kids his age managing to have Jeter sign either cards or balls for them. It was very refreshing to see Jeter sign for mainly kids and not the profiteering adults who crowded around the dugout also. My son now has something in his growing collection I do not, a signed Jeter card

Very cool! What a great memory for you and your son!

bnorth 07-13-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes (Post 1297400)
Awesome pick up Ben!

Awesome story Larry. I don't have a signed Jeter either, glad your son got one. Also happy to hear Jeter signed for the kids and not the profiteering adults.

savedfrommyspokes 07-13-2014 07:32 PM

Thank you Ben and Scott.....he is still stoked about his newest card. I can't believe as much as he talked before the trip about wanting to have Jeter sign for him he will ever forget (or understand how much of a challenge it was) receiving this.

darkhorse9 07-14-2014 01:47 PM

It's cool that your son will always have that memory no matter what. I live in Kalamazoo where Jeter is from and in fact coached at the little league and umpired at the high school he played at.

Derek used to come back to town every now and then. When he first signed with the Yankees he was more accessible here. Then his parents moved out and we haven't seen him since. They did name the local high school baseball field after him. He has a charitable foundation here in town called "Turn 2" that helps keep kids off drugs.

I've got several items signed by him, but a friend of mine has an even cooler item. She has the jersey Derek wore in high school. It's signed by Jeter as well.

cardsfan73 07-14-2014 08:08 PM

Went to a local antique mall today and picked up a factory sealed 1985 Donruss set for $15.00 bucks today. Not to shabby.

Scott

t206blogcom 07-15-2014 06:32 AM

I picked up some junk wax at the Chantilly show - '88 cello box and '89 Fleer wax box. Pulled a Billy Ripken FF out of the '89 Fleer, something I had always wanted to do when I was a kid. Also pulled one Griffey Jr RC.

If anyone needs a particular 88 or 89 Fleer single, let me know. Or if anyone is interested in the leftover cards or stickers, let me know. If no interest, I'll probably throw them away.

savedfrommyspokes 07-15-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 1297800)
It's cool that your son will always have that memory no matter what. I live in Kalamazoo where Jeter is from and in fact coached at the little league and umpired at the high school he played at.

Derek used to come back to town every now and then. When he first signed with the Yankees he was more accessible here. Then his parents moved out and we haven't seen him since. They did name the local high school baseball field after him. He has a charitable foundation here in town called "Turn 2" that helps keep kids off drugs.

I've got several items signed by him, but a friend of mine has an even cooler item. She has the jersey Derek wore in high school. It's signed by Jeter as well.

Neat story Mark...your friend's jersey is certainly a rare/unique item.

Quote:

x

Quote:

x

brett 75 07-15-2014 07:33 PM

Away on vacation in the Seattle area and picked up some cards I needed for my sets and picked up one of the keys to the 2003 Upperdeck Playball set . A Joe DiMaggio ! Love going to DJ's . Also picked up some Vintage at great prices . Really wish we had a card shop in town. :(. Brett

jb217676 07-28-2014 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something I've never seen before. A 2005 Presidential Ticket welcoming the Red Sox to the White House signed by Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein.