Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ty Cobb check question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190771)

w7imel 07-12-2014 01:14 PM

Ty Cobb check question

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I purchased A ty cobb check and had some questions on if I should pay 150 to PSA to have graded. It has been professionally matted and framed. My question is this does this auto look as it would grade 9 or better? And if so would it be worth my time and effort and cost to send off to be graded? I dont plan on reselling it later. I purchased it because it was made out on my birthday and really liked it.

shelly 07-12-2014 01:20 PM

Why would you spend the money. Keep it the way it is.
Another reason I would not do it. PSA if they where to do there job correctly would have to tear the frame apart.

MooseDog 07-12-2014 01:33 PM

That's a beautiful piece you have there and a gorgeous Cobb check. Ask yourself what are you really getting for that $150? I call it the "PSA Tax".

The only people interested in whether PSA calls the signature a 9 or a 10 are those out there looking to flip. A real autograph collector looks at the autograph, not the grade.

To me the signature is a 10. I'd buy it in a heartbeat without PSA's stamp of approval.

w7imel 07-12-2014 02:25 PM

Thank you for posts. The pictures I took still dont capture how nice check is. I was very happy when I got it. I eventually hope to pass down to my 18 month old son. Who by the way my wife let me name Tyrus. She wouldnt let me go as far as naming him Tyrus Raymond lol, so Tyrus Ethan it is. Oh well you cant have everything haha

Deertick 07-12-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1296984)
Hey everyone! I purchased A ty cobb check and had some questions on if I should pay 150 to PSA to have graded. It has been professionally matted and framed. My question is this does this auto look as it would grade 9 or better? And if so would it be worth my time and effort and cost to send off to be graded? I dont plan on reselling it later. I purchased it because it was made out on my birthday and really liked it.

Beautiful display! Absolutely no reason to send it to PSA, or anyone else for that matter.

JimStinson 07-12-2014 05:16 PM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by MooseDog (Post 1296995)
That's a beautiful piece you have there and a gorgeous Cobb check. Ask yourself what are you really getting for that $150? I call it the "PSA Tax".

The only people interested in whether PSA calls the signature a 9 or a 10 are those out there looking to flip. A real autograph collector looks at the autograph, not the grade.

To me the signature is a 10. I'd buy it in a heartbeat without PSA's stamp of approval.

Bingo !!! +++++ a wonderful gift for young Tyrus Ethan ..and in twenty years he won't have to ask you "what is a PSA"????

Vintage autographs for sale on my web site
stinsonsports.com

w7imel 07-12-2014 05:25 PM

thanks

thanks guys i really respect your opinions!!!!!!!!!!!

drcy 07-13-2014 01:01 PM

I understand getting a second opinion about authenticity, but never understood paying money to a signature graded for condition. One only needs eyes to see that a signature is in Mint condition. Someone random off the street who can determine that. It's like paying someone to tell you the color of your car.

djson1 07-14-2014 11:11 AM

$150 is such a waste of good money. You're probably already convinced that it's authentic, so the only reason you might want to get a cert is if you wanted to sell it in an online auction. I've only sold things in an auction once, and I told the auctioneer, if he wanted a TPA cert, he could pay for it himself (which they did). Otherwise, I ain't blowing a good $100-$200+ on a questionable opinion.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather keep $100 and buy some autographs. :)

w7imel 07-14-2014 01:27 PM

Like I said I have no intention of ever selling. Ive looked darn near 25 years for a ty cobb check and a babe ruth check made out on my birthday. Have 1 of 2 now.....Ruth still eluding me. haha although I have managed to snag a ruth check he made out to his wife that signature is mint

Mountaineer 07-15-2014 01:48 PM

Like others have said, I would definitely keep it intact just the way it is. Only reason I would take the pieces apart and send to PSA is if you had doubts on the authentication of the Cobb autograph.

RichardSimon 07-15-2014 03:52 PM

There is no question of authenticity regarding Ty Cobb checks.
Don't give those people your money.

thenavarro 07-15-2014 11:51 PM

I've seen color copies of checks that look good framed up. You've probably already done it, but if not, examine it up close to make sure it is not a nice color copy.

w7imel 07-16-2014 01:00 PM

I have looked up close and its no copy. can see raised areas where cancelation marks as well. Are there any Player checks that I should aviod?

shelly 07-16-2014 01:42 PM

Babe Rurth for sure.

w7imel 07-16-2014 02:02 PM

I have a ruth check from his personal account. Should I be worried about it? It has been thru PSA as well as JSA.

Mr. Zipper 07-16-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1298608)
I have a ruth check from his personal account. Should I be worried about it? It has been thru PSA as well as JSA.

There are Ruth check high quality copies on the market... Usually sold matted and framed.

If yours has been examined by PSA and JSA I wouldn't be concerned it is a copy.