Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Clemente collectors at National in Cleveland (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191028)

hcv123 07-18-2014 02:18 PM

Clemente collectors at National in Cleveland

Hi Guys,

Howard Chasser here. I wanted to see if any die hard Clemente collectors were planning to go to the national in Cleveland and if there was any interest in meeting up?

-Howard

gopherfan 07-19-2014 07:48 AM

Howard,

I'm not going to the National, but I am trying to acquire a 1998 Topps Chrome Refractor #21 of Clemente. It is one of 5 cards I still need to complete the set. If you have one, or if you find one, I would be happy to pay for it.

Thanks,

Rob A.

hcv123 07-20-2014 07:17 AM

On ebay

Hi Rob,

The card you are looking for is not expensive and I found it with a quick ebay search.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_from=R40&_...All-Categories

hcv123 07-23-2014 05:50 AM

bump

Any Clemente collectors going to the national?

judgebuck 07-23-2014 07:06 PM

Clemente dealer at National

Not going to National, but I've been several times and remember seeing a dealer that had nothing but Clemente cards and memorabilia for sale. Don't know who it was, but some of you guys who may be dealers or regulars at the National may know him. In fact, it seems like there were maybe two dealers who dealt exclusively with Clemente stuff

roarfrom34 07-23-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgebuck (Post 1301232)
Not going to National, but I've been several times and remember seeing a dealer that had nothing but Clemente cards and memorabilia for sale. Don't know who it was, but some of you guys who may be dealers or regulars at the National may know him. In fact, it seems like there were maybe two dealers who dealt exclusively with Clemente stuff

The dealer's name is Paul Kutch and I believe his company is called "Clemente's Corner"...He should be set up at The National (I have seen him at several).

hcv123 07-24-2014 06:49 AM

Any collectors?

I know the dealers including Paul well. I was hoping to connect with some collectors who I have dialogued with at net 54 and the SCU message boards, but never met.

smtjoy 07-29-2014 09:56 AM

Hi Howard, not going to make it this year. Hope to make the National next year. Have fun, I had a blast last year. Scott

Mark70Z 08-09-2014 07:53 PM

Clemente

Any Clemente pickups while you were there?

hcv123 08-10-2014 08:00 AM

The cupboards were bare - almost

With the items on my want list down to the fingers on one hand (plus the possibility of finding something I have never seen before) I go to shows with no expectation of finding items. That said, my expectation was met at this years national.

There were 3 1959 Kahns for sale (all low grade - priced fairly, so I presume they sold), a 1957 Kahn's low grade, a 1965 Macgregor advisory staff card graded 7 by Becket - the guy was asking $3500 for it - telling me the only other one that sold was graded a 4 and sold for $1400 - I didn't even bother continuing the conversation - everyone is entitled to their own reality. A few nice autographed items (The autographed items I have in my collection are about the item (incidentally happen to be autographed)) - so none for me.
Nothing else I can think of that was notable.

I took my 7 year old son to his first national and the time we had exceeded my expectations. 6 hours into the 8 hour drive, I heard the first "are we there yet?" He is a special child and I love him dearly. It was awesome - We got 2 cards made by upper deck - 1 of him and 1 father/son card. He got to hold a 1932 Babe Ruth game used bat. We did some pack ripping. He also was drawn to a 1950's Johnny Antonelli stadium pin which I bought for him - why that one? Time will tell perhaps. A few dealers gave him cards "for free" which he got really excited about. A number of people got a kick out of asking him who his favorite player is and hearing him say "Roberto Clemente". We also found a few additions to the 1952 Pirates set we are working on. All in all a wonderful memory I will treasure the rest of my life. Waiting for my 5 year old to get a little older to do the same with him!

bobsbbcards 08-10-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1308330)
a 1965 Macgregor advisory staff card graded 7 by Becket - the guy was asking $3500 for it - telling me the only other one that sold was graded a 4 and sold for $1400 - I didn't even bother continuing the conversation - everyone is entitled to their own reality.

This one sold in a Goodwin auction for $428.40 in 2012.

http://cf86c9262baba95fae98-705a4957...m/7529488.JPEG

Mark70Z 08-10-2014 03:22 PM

Clemente

Howard,

Appreciate you letting us know about your experience at the National. As pretty much a single player collector myself it would be neat to hear if you were able to pick something up of your player and/or see something you've never seen before. As you, I've had plenty of experience with dealers thinking an item is worth "way" more than the going rate or price people are willing to pay. I guess they'll haul the item around and keep it in their inventory. You would figure a person who collects that player exclusively, in your case Clemente, would know what the item is really worth rather than the dealer selling the items; oh, well.

I'm so glad you had the opportunity to take your son to his first National and it exceeded your expectations; can't get any better than that!