Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT:Walk turns into a Strikeout (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191296)

Deertick 07-23-2014 08:15 PM

OT:Walk turns into a Strikeout

Watching the Rays / Cards game and I saw something that I have only vaguely heard of in all my years of watching the game. In the bottom of the seventh, John Jay struck out on a count of 4-2. The 7th pitch was fouled off and the eight pitch was a called strike. The umpire, batter and pitcher never flinched on ball four. Neither did the bench, and the Rays announcers never made mention of it. I rewound and watched the sequence 3 times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

How common could this possibly be???

timn1 07-23-2014 08:40 PM

Cool!

This is what I love about baseball-- despite all the rituals and expected outcomes, crazy stuff still happens (and now we have it all on camera)!

the same thing probably happened back in 1906 or so and the record is buried in a daily newspaper somewhere-

Tim

Peter_Spaeth 07-23-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1301273)
Watching the Rays / Cards game and I saw something that I have only vaguely heard of in all my years of watching the game. In the bottom of the seventh, John Jay struck out on a count of 4-2. The 7th pitch was fouled off and the eight pitch was a called strike. The umpire, batter and pitcher never flinched on ball four. Neither did the bench, and the Rays announcers never made mention of it. I rewound and watched the sequence 3 times to make sure I saw what I thought I saw.

Did the scoreboard record the fourth ball or did this happen because a ball just wasn't recorded so everyone thought it was still 3-2?

Milton 07-23-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1301301)
Did the scoreboard record the fourth ball or did this happen because a ball just wasn't recorded so everyone thought it was still 3-2?

This is kind of what I was thinking. I think it's more likely that a pitch early in the at-bat wasn't recorded on the scoreboard and/or the ump's clicker. That would seem more likely than to miss the fourth ball or third strike.

Deertick 07-23-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1301301)

The count shown on TV stayed at 3-2 even as the pitch count incremented. The announcers said " Strike one, Ball one, Strike Two, Ball two, Ball 3 (low sinker)Cobb goes to full . Next pitch was low and away. next an inside pitch fouled off, then Finally a called strike up and in to end the inning.I wonder if he batter gets credited with a walk or a K. What would have happened if he hit a HR?

Anyone watching St Louis broadcast, or even listening on the radio hear a mention of it?

kmac32 07-24-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1301273)

If Jon Jay struck out, worth posting on Facebook and taunting all the Cardinal fans you know.

bn2cardz 07-24-2014 07:20 AM

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/24/car...-out-ball-four

I didn't pay attention to the broadcast last night (I was out celebrating Batman 75th anniversary) but it apparently was noticed in the broad cast by the "graphics guy":

"the only person who seemed to notice it was ball four was the graphics guy on Fox Sports Midwest. Matheny took blame for the miscue after the game."

bn2cardz 07-24-2014 07:24 AM

http://www.kmov.com/sports/Jay-Mathe...268395372.html

This article seems to show a more in-depth explanation of when everyone lost track on the count being 3-2 thinking it was 2-2 because the scoreboard didn't change.

Deertick 07-24-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1301423)
http://www.kmov.com/sports/Jay-Mathe...268395372.html

This article seems to show a more in-depth explanation of when everyone lost track on the count being 3-2 thinking it was 2-2 because the scoreboard didn't change.

I will say that Jay needs to review the tape. He indicates that he asked the ump? If he did, it doesn't appear he moved his head or lips. :)

I think things went awry when Cobb was ready to pitch quickly, Jay stepped in the box and then out quickly. From that point he barely left the box and was ready as fast as Cobb wanted to go. Very funky to watch if you get the chance.

triwak 07-24-2014 10:18 AM

Yeah, the Cardinals broadcasters were all over it - the following inning, haha!!

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2014 11:21 AM

Imagine if the Cardinals miss the playoffs by one game.

birdman42 07-24-2014 11:26 AM

How does everyone miss this? (At least everyone who counts.) The batter, the ump, the manager, the scoreboard guy. Even the broadcasters missed it. And the pitcher and catcher didn't react like they'd just given up a walk. I can imagine the replay guys in NY yelling "CALL US! CALL US!"

Bill

bn2cardz 07-24-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1301529)
Imagine if the Cardinals miss the playoffs by one game.

I am sure there would be a few StL fans around saying something, but for the most part I don't believe they would because the Cardinals were already loosing 2-0 and there were 2 outs with no one on. Sure it would have brought up the tying run, but there is no way you could conclude that the cardinals would have come back and won since they didn't even score a run after this play.

If the score was 2-1 with bases loaded yeah maybe there would be a lot said, but I am also sure more people would have been paying attention to the count.

Deertick 05-23-2015 03:52 PM

Another situation during the Rays / A's game. Top of the 6th Muncy walks on a 4-1 count. Must be a lot more common than I realized. :)

bn2cardz 06-01-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1414213)
Another situation during the Rays / A's game. Top of the 6th Muncy walks on a 4-1 count. Must be a lot more common than I realized. :)

Here is another one for you:

Votto Walks on 3 Balls then scores on an RBI from Bruce.