Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Case Cracking Failure: Darn you PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=193304)

shernan30 09-01-2014 01:28 PM

Case Cracking Failure: Darn you PSA

Have you ever dinged a card while cracking a case?

Guess what, I did today :(:(:(:(

Very depressing :(:(

For those wondering, I prefer my cards raw, but sometimes only graded examples are available. Therefore I crack the cases when adding to my set. SGC are not that difficult, but I knew one day PSA would get me good.

Econteachert205 09-01-2014 01:38 PM

Been there. It sucks. I watched some videos to improve my technique. Don't think it will happen again

KCRfan1 09-01-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shernan30 (Post 1317195)
Have you ever dinged a card while cracking a case?

Guess what, I did today :(:(:(:(

Very depressing :(:(

For those wondering, I prefer my cards raw, but sometimes only graded examples are available. Therefore I crack the cases when adding to my set. SGC are not that difficult, but I knew one day PSA would get me good.

Steve, did you crack the new case or an old one? The new cases look very difficult to crack, and I doubt that I will ever try it.

shernan30 09-01-2014 01:49 PM

It was a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke 09-01-2014 01:51 PM

Sorry to hear that :mad:

I always worry about it happening.

refz 09-01-2014 01:53 PM

I never had an issue with the psa holders. Sgc and the old Gai ones took a little more effort for me.

KCRfan1 09-01-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shernan30 (Post 1317203)
It was a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Steve.

gnaz01 09-01-2014 01:57 PM

BVG's are almost impossible

Sean1125 09-01-2014 02:23 PM

Hammer + Flathead Screwdriver is the way to go.

Chip the top corner off /w pliers or the screwdriver (hammer at an angle) and simply leverage the rest of the case, it should pop any of them including BGS.

glynparson 09-01-2014 02:38 PM

I agree with Sean

that is the way to do it. Take your time and you'll be fine. That said I rushed on a Rose rookie PSA 8 one time and the screwdriver slipped and ran across the whole back of the card.

vthobby 09-01-2014 02:47 PM

Cracking cases......

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnaz01 (Post 1317209)
BVG's are almost impossible

Greg, for me Beckett holders are actually the easiest for a couple of reasons: For one their older cards are in a protective sleeve which gives me a bit more confidence. As mentioned before, a hammer and flat head are all you need....and of course...a little liquid courage! :)

Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:

Same motion a few times at the top seam to make sure it blasts away. Then with the flat head, I just gently pry the 2 pieces apart and gently pull them apart with my 2 hands when I can grab them.

Sounds crazy and shaky but I have never damaged a card. PSA and SGC are fine also but I always do worry when the card is not in a protective sleeve like on BVG cards but still never hurt a card..........."knock on wood" :rolleyes:

Peace, Mik:)

conor912 09-01-2014 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=vtgmsc;1317223]Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:
QUOTE]

+1

I wont's crack BVG slabs without goggles anymore. I seriously came within a millimeter of impaling my eyeball with slab shrapnel once.

vthobby 09-01-2014 03:08 PM

Too funny!

[QUOTE=conor912;1317227]
Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1317223)
Flat head at top seam and smash it.....preferably on concrete floor in your garage (so the flying plastic shards do not impale your family while watching TV!) :eek:
QUOTE]

+1

I wont's crack BVG slabs without goggles anymore. I seriously came within a millimeter of impaling my eyeball with slab shrapnel once.

Okay..... that is my first +1 which begs a couple of questions.......can you get a -1 at all thereby reducing you back to ZERO? :rolleyes: and......what web site do I go to and shop for goodies with my +1...you know like a credit card reward web site? :eek:

Not trying to be a weirdo here but I'm giving you back a plus 1 for the goggles quote.....SO TRUE! +1 back at ya!

peace,
mik:)

DHogan 09-01-2014 07:09 PM

I have never tried to free a card from a holder. But, has anyone tried putting one in or on dry ice for a bit and then try to free the card ? Not long enough to freeze the card it self. I have a few graded cards. I'm one of the buy the card not the grade types. I know one or two other ways to use dry ice. We won't got there today. :p