Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   An autograph you despise? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198668)

7nohitter 12-20-2014 08:26 AM

An autograph you despise?

Following the previous thread about your most-liked 2014 pick up, I'm wondering:

Do you have an autograph that causes you pause (NOT because its authenticity is in question) because it is on a medium you don't like, is rushed, is faded, was smudged, etc.

For example, I have many autographed Nolan Ryan baseballs, all in blue EXCEPT for one in black, which for some reason is bothering me to the point where I am going to sell it and replace it with a blue-signed ball.

r2678 12-20-2014 08:59 AM

I have an autographed 8x10 of Cleveland's "Big Four - Feller, Lemon, Wynn and Garcia. Three signed in a bold blue while Feller signed in black. That signature sticks out like a sore thumb and keeps me from displaying it.

Exhibitman 12-20-2014 11:39 AM

I got this myself at the show listed on the ticket. I don't despise it but "Hal" Aaron does stick out at me every time I look at it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...size/Aaron.jpg

w7imel 12-20-2014 03:13 PM

Only thing that stands out about my collection I dont like is the 3x5 cards I have gotten over the years thru the mail to various players and coaches. Probably my least favorite medium to have signed. At the time I didnt think about it but you have to have alot of wall space to frame matte and display. But I did het some nice autographs thru mail!

vthobby 12-20-2014 10:57 PM

3x5s

Michael,

I understand where you are coming from but I have also a TON of 3x5s. I'm not doing much with them (literally thousands) but with the new movie coming out "Unbroken" on 12/25, I decided to dig out my Lou Zamperini items. I wrote to him once and he sent me back 7 items total (most were his items and were bonus items!!!!!!

I have already sold 2 in the last 2 days on Ebay for a total of $180 (and this is the market right now) so I'm pretty happy with my 3x5s!!!!

This is a rare hit, I admit and I was lucky to write to him as my friend tipped me off a few years ago that this guy was signing. Incredible!

peace, mike

packs 12-21-2014 11:22 AM

I really wish this one didn't have that damn sticker:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Mickeysig.jpg

w7imel 12-21-2014 11:45 AM

why not sticker the back?

thenavarro 12-21-2014 02:14 PM

Heat it up with a hair dryer and take it off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1357407)
I really wish this one didn't have that damn sticker:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m.../Mickeysig.jpg

packs 12-21-2014 03:10 PM

Have you tried the hairdryer method yourself? As much as I hate the sticker I'd hate a little oval patch of cover missing more.

thenavarro 12-21-2014 03:23 PM

Yes, I've done it myself before with PSA/DNA stickers. Haven't tried it on JSA stickers. I've done it on exhibit cards, index cards, and magazine pages. Have also used the microwave to heat them up before to heat up the adhesive LOL and also use a hammer to bust open slabbed cards if I want them out so I wouldn't call myself the most careful person. Have never messed up anything other than a Pete Rose BGS 6 rookie and that wasn't from breaking up the slab, it was from being impatient trying to get it out of that damn little plastic sleeve that Beckett puts them in, I couldn't find the scissors so I tried to use a ball point pen to push through and puncture it and to tear carefully but I missed ;)

Your mileage may vary, just relaying my experiences. It's usually not hard getting the sticker off as long as your careful, the tricky part is getting the "sticky" stuff off after that and I don't have a good method for that. I use a heavy duty paper towel and water for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1357477)
Have you tried the hairdryer method yourself? As much as I hate the sticker I'd hate a little oval patch of cover missing more.

7nohitter 12-21-2014 04:08 PM

These are all great responses!

gashouse34 12-21-2014 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this Brett signed photo up at a yard sale a while back for 25 cents. Photo is stuck to the glass and has water damage. Signature is actually fine though...should probably just throw it out but cant find it in my heart to do so.

jad22 12-22-2014 07:27 AM

Mine is a Bill Russell signed Celtic program, where the "ssell" portion of the signature is a sharpie blob.

terjung 12-22-2014 09:49 AM

One that bothers me is that of Willie Mays. I don't know what he is signing, but it doesn't look a thing like "Willie" or "Mays".

perezfan 12-22-2014 11:51 AM

6 Attachment(s)
One that always bothers me is Pie Traynor. His autograph itself has absolutely no style or flair (in an era when most players took pride in their signature). But more irritating is that the guy had absolutely no feel for where to place the signature.

Whether it's on an index card, trading card, photograph or ball, he always crammed it into a ridiculously tight and illogical spot. Typically relegated to an obscure corner, or right up against a border (so you can't effectively mat it) or touching on the laces of a ball.

The concept of signing a sweetspot or side panel apparently never occurred to him. No matter what the medium, the result was almost always aesthetically displeasing.

Republicaninmass 12-22-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terjung (Post 1357683)
One that bothers me is that of Willie Mays. I don't know what he is signing, but it doesn't look a thing like "Willie" or "Mays".

Ditto, though if he had a signing, I'm sure there would be lines out the door

http://signed1952topps.smugmug.com/S...3/zz301-X3.jpg

jad22 12-22-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1357729)
One that always bothers me is Pie Traynor. His autograph itself has absolutely no style or flair (in an era when most players took pride in their signature). But more irritating is that the guy had absolutely no feel for where to place the signature.

Whether it's on an index card, trading card, photograph or ball, he always crammed it into a ridiculously tight and illogical spot. Typically relegated to an obscure corner, or right up against a border (so you can't effectively mat it) or touching on the laces of a ball.

The concept of signing a sweetspot or side panel apparently never occurred to him. No matter what the medium, the result was almost always aesthetically displeasing.

But his early signatures looked nice. Why did he change it?

7nohitter 12-22-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1357729)

Very interesting about the placement of the signatures-I've never noticed that before. Whereas I know Mantle took the time to sign in the 'best' place, I wonder how many players just don't give a crap.

Since Pie is from my hometown I'll cut him some slack!

ScottR81 12-22-2014 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive always hated that greg maddux signed his name like a stroke just came upon him....how did it come to this and is there a real nice signature out there that actually reads well? something a total stranger to the sport could read?

whyconform 12-22-2014 03:08 PM

Cool Papa Bell easily....nice simple 3x5 and he's got his auto crammed up in the corner...I've seen Grimes to it too....I can't stand that....Some late stage Cool Papa Bells are pretty ugly too....

I have two Pie's...but this one from 1929 has some flair
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psc9276f9b.jpg

perezfan 12-22-2014 03:26 PM

That's a nice one... must admit!

I know there are always exceptions, and I guess most of the better examples would probably be his earlier ones (as mentioned above...)

WillowGrove 12-22-2014 08:35 PM

Agree about Traynor Mark.

I nominate Lefty Grove. He was so dominating yet his signature is just so painfully boring.

Scott Garner 12-22-2014 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowGrove (Post 1357916)
Agree about Traynor Mark.

I nominate Lefty Grove. He was so dominating yet his signature is just so painfully boring.

Hi Peter,
IMHO, I tend to disagree somewhat about Lefty Grove. Although his later signature examples could be a bit mundane, have you seen his earlier signature that he signed with a flourish?

Here is a 1931 vintage Lefty Grove fountain pen signature that I purchased from Jim Stinson. I consider this to be one of my favorite signatures in my collection.
Enjoy & happy holidays!

jad22 12-23-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1357944)
Hi Peter,
IMHO, I tend to disagree somewhat about Lefty Grove. Although his later signature examples could be a bit mundane, have you seen his earlier signature that he signed with a flourish?

Here is a 1931 vintage Lefty Grove fountain pen signature that I purchased from Jim Stinson. I consider this to be one of my favorite signatures in my collection.
Enjoy & happy holidays!

Very nice!

Runscott 12-23-2014 09:18 AM

I had an early 1960's (I think 1961) exhibit card of Mantle that was signed: "Hi Kids, Mick"

The card was so beat-up, with corners missing, that I threw it away. It was an extreme eyesore. This was a long time ago - maybe 25 years - and I didn't collect autographs. Now, of course, I wish I had kept it.

Maddog 12-24-2014 03:06 PM

I could go on and on with this one :D

How about the guys who give you 2 initials and a uniform number. Some of these guys make Maddux's autograph look like 18th century calligraphy!

tazdmb 12-24-2014 03:19 PM

Tell me about it-here is Mike Trout auto from a "sit down" signing.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...pse19623e2.jpg

MacDice 12-24-2014 03:51 PM

A former teammate played over in Japan. Shortly after my son was born, another buddy went over to Japan to visit our him. At the time our former teammate was with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks and was managed by Sadaharu. Anyway they had Sadaharu sign a ball for my son. I guess personalization's aren't common over in Japan and/or they had issue with the translator explaining how they wanted the ball sign, thus after several attempts at explaining the translator grabbed the ball and did the personalization on Sadaharu's behalf and then handed it to Sadaharu to sign. Wish the personalization was done in Sadaharu's handwriting. I wouldn't say that I despise it but I cringe a little when I look at it.