Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1910 E104-1 vs 1911 D359 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=198978)

cracker_jack 12-27-2014 03:31 PM

1910 E104-1 vs 1911 D359

Looking to collect the Athletics cards with Worlds Champions overprint for one of these two sets. Few questions though...

1) Is there one to be considered a little "easier" to complete than the other? Looking to collect lower grade cards.

2) Did Rochester Baking put out the 18 card set and did Williams Baking also put out the entire 18 card set?

3) If you were to complete the D359 set, would you call it complete if you mixed the two or only if it were all Rochester or all Williams cards?

Thanks in advance!

ullmandds 12-27-2014 05:45 PM

1) tough call...i'd say in order of simplicity...e104, williams, rochester

2) yes

3) personally i'd consider the set complete with common backs.

caramelcard 12-28-2014 10:11 AM

Hi Chris,

Great sets. Both are tough, but D359 is tougher. It use to be considered way tougher, but interest in both of these sets has waned over the past several years. I would consider D359 complete with all the fronts and any backs.

There are variations in the E104 set as well.

Best of luck with the hunt.

Rob

Leon 12-28-2014 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelcard (Post 1359609)
Hi Chris,

Great sets. Both are tough, but D359 is tougher. It use to be considered way tougher, but interest in both of these sets has waned over the past several years. I would consider D359 complete with all the fronts and any backs.

There are variations in the E104 set as well.

Best of luck with the hunt.

Rob

It's a shame about waning interest as the cards really look great (to me). With different variations it makes for interesting collecting. I will go with what you guys are saying as tougher, more specifically what Pete already said. My only difference would be when the set(s) are complete. If it were me, I would be doing something more than a basic set with either back. It makes it more daunting. I remember trying to do a master D303 set (Mothers and General Baking). I got wore out and went back to type collecting but it was a lot of fun while I was doing it. Just something to consider. And I remember when I won this E104-1 Plank from one of Lew Lipset's auctions. I wanted it for the Nadja back. He said he thought it went low, so did I. I think it went for around 450, and even in today's depressed state of E cards, it has probably held up ok. Good luck to the OP, whichever way you choose. Good topic and question. One last thing, interestingly I have probably seen more full sets of D359 than I have E104-1. But would still say in general, as mentioned, D359 are a little tougher.

cracker_jack 12-28-2014 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, great advice! Although I like to keep a straight focus, I may just gather what comes to auction and see where it takes me. I too love the look of the cards. Completing my E90-2 set was the inspiration and I entirely struck out this year on the E104-2 cards. Just don't see them very often. Below is what I'm starting with.