Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My 1962 Post cereal custom box-back (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206549)

Bob Lemke 05-28-2015 01:45 PM

My 1962 Post cereal custom box-back

1 Attachment(s)
I've nearly completed my 1962 Post cereal custom box-back, along with the six individual cards.

I'll have the singles up on my blog about this time on June 1.

Here's the beta version of the panel . . .

Attachment 192257

hoot-owl 05-28-2015 03:50 PM

1962 Post big heads

Bob:

love the selection of players and the layout. This might be construed as petty--but I have always considered the 62 US Post version as the "big head" set. For many of the players, you don't have anything other than a large head shot that looks like it was squeezed into the picture frame (think Zoilo Versalles or Willie Kirkland).

The same photos are reduced in both the 62 Jello and 62 Post Canadian set--and look more like the photos you have in your beta six-panel sheet.

I love the 62 Post set--but your photos are simply too nice:)

brian1961 05-29-2015 11:27 AM

Bob---Amazing. Visually, the Billy Williams and Gil Hodges are stunning. Your photo choices on them are unique, at least from my memory.

Your panel is a wonderful education for postwar collectors to glimpse the challenges facing a youngster under the age of 10 whose fine motor skills had not yet fully developed. Where the realities of 1961 were simply impossible to achieve a nice hand-cut card, the teensy weensy spaces between the cards of 1962-63 at least provided children a better chance of getting the entire card.

Then again, recalling the actual reality from back in the day when I was 8-years old, I did OK in cutting my 62s off the box, but rarely worthy of PSA and SGC rewarding it with a numerical grade, let alone something extraordinary as a MINT condition verdict. MINT Post cards are rare as hen's teeth.

Again, well done, Mr. Lemke. In case you missed my assessment of your resounding 1961 Post Cereal Sandy Koufax, I was enraptured with its beauty! A genuine work of baseball card art. I'm grateful to you, sir.:D

Respectfully, Brian Powell

Kenmarks 05-30-2015 09:23 PM

your panel

Wow!

hangman62 05-30-2015 09:37 PM

post panel

that is an awesome fantasy panel

whiteymet 05-31-2015 01:18 PM

Post Panel

Hey Bob:

Interesting that you chose to show Robin Roberts in a Yankee uniform. As I am sure you know, he never played in a game for the Yankees, but was released by the Yanks and signed and played with the Orioles in 1962 after being sold in October 1961 to the Yankees by the Phillies.

Fred

nolemmings 05-31-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 1416719)
Hey Bob:

Interesting that you chose to show Robin Roberts in a Yankee uniform. As I am sure you know, he never played in a game for the Yankees, but was released by the Yanks and signed and played with the Orioles in 1962 after being sold in October 1961 to the Yankees by the Phillies.

Fred

Although it's hard to read, I think Bob covered that with an asterisk and explanation. I also believe it's accurate to show him in that uniform or not at all given the release date for the cards, and that Bob's choice was purposeful. But interesting nonetheless, I agree. Good work Bob.

whiteymet 05-31-2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1416736)
Although it's hard to read, I think Bob covered that with an asterisk and explanation. I also believe it's accurate to show him in that uniform or not at all given the release date for the cards, and that Bob's choice was purposeful. But interesting nonetheless, I agree. Good work Bob.

Hi Todd:

You are correct. I did not/could not see the asterisk and explanation. But as I said, I am sure Bob knew.

Fred

Kenmarks 06-13-2015 12:57 AM

Got my 62 panel yesterday in the mail. Outstanding!!

brian1961 06-13-2015 10:57 AM

Ken, doesn't getting Bob's wonderful creation kinda make you feel as a kid again in 1962? Nostalgic fantasy, the same as done with so many other hobbies---toy soldiers, diecast cars, copies of multi-million dollar cars and spin-offs of racing sports cars that never existed, such as a 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rosa with a hardtop, Barbies, marbles, Star Wars action figures, etc. Happy for you, Ken!:D ---Brian Powell