Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The future popularity of Black Sox cards? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206729)

Kzoo 06-01-2015 07:46 AM

The future popularity of Black Sox cards?

Guys...........Just wondering what some may think about the future popularity of Black Sox players cards/collectibles? OBVIOUSLY, Joe Jackson items will always be in high demand, but what about the rest of the 'gang'? I remember that the 'peak' of value was about 3-5 years ago, but what about long term popularity? What about Buck Weaver? Any thoughts? My collecting focus has changed and it might be time to sell a couple items.

Thanks in advance...........Matt

Shoeless Moe 06-01-2015 08:53 AM

I would probably hold off on selling now....wait it out 4 more years. 100th anniversary, should peak then, I would think.

jerseygary 06-01-2015 09:08 AM

I have a part of a chapter in my book about what became of the eight White Sox after they were banned in 1920. After over 50 different radio interviews the past month since since the book was published, those guys are probably the most asked about by interviewers. With drawings and stories of over 120 different players in the book that's saying something of their enduring interest to not only collectors but to the general baseball public. Like Shoeless Moe said, in a few years it will be 100 years and that should give their notoriety and story an additional "bump".

GregMitch34 06-01-2015 09:22 AM

Prices seem pretty strong still it seems to me, a least for Cicotte, Weaver, Gandil....

Joshchisox08 06-01-2015 09:32 AM

/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kzoo (Post 1416934)
Guys...........Just wondering what some may think about the future popularity of Black Sox players cards/collectibles? OBVIOUSLY, Joe Jackson items will always be in high demand, but what about the rest of the 'gang'? I remember that the 'peak' of value was about 3-5 years ago, but what about long term popularity? What about Buck Weaver? Any thoughts? My collecting focus has changed and it might be time to sell a couple items.

Thanks in advance...........Matt

As long as there is interest in young people learning baseballs history I would think there wouldn't be a dip in value.

But that's the thing. How many people out there are like myself and:

A) Already like the White Sox
B) Want to learn about their teams history
C) Will want to learn about scandals
D) Want to watch/read Ken Burns documentary and various other good starting points to learning the history of baseball

Epps 06-01-2015 03:15 PM

I think as long as people are interested in Joe Jackson, the rest of the squad will be just fine. That's how I got into collecting the Black Sox. Especially since some of the other's cards are generally pretty cheap compared to Joe.

wazoo 06-01-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1416967)
As long as there is interest in young people learning baseballs history I would think there wouldn't be a dip in value.

But that's the thing. How many people out there are like myself and:

A) Already like the White Sox
B) Want to learn about their teams history
C) Will want to learn about scandals
D) Want to watch/read Ken Burns documentary and various other good starting points to learning the history of baseball

Add another young person to the list that loves baseball.

glchen 06-01-2015 03:34 PM

I think Black Sox cards will continue to do well. I sell cards on ebay, and Black Sox cards usually sell pretty quickly and with high demand, with buyers asking me if I have any more. I sold some W514 Black Sox cards, and they all did really well.

ErikV 06-01-2015 05:59 PM

Re: The future popularity of Black Sox cards?

1 Attachment(s)
Funny that this topic came up. I've been thinking of selling this. I haven't
posted this card in a long time. According to last year's SCD price guide,
the Mother's Bread variation is valued at 2.5 to 7 times as the W514 counterpart.

ErikV

Zach Wheat 06-02-2015 10:47 PM

W514

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1417092)
I think Black Sox cards will continue to do well. I sell cards on ebay, and Black Sox cards usually sell pretty quickly and with high demand, with buyers asking me if I have any more. I sold some W514 Black Sox cards, and they all did really well.

W514 prices for the Black Sox players always seem to command a premium...at least when I am buying😕. It is one of the few contemporary sets of that era that contain most of the players involved.

I will complete the set some day....

Z

mattsey9 06-03-2015 11:32 AM

The T201 Cicotte always draws a crowd of bidders. I lost more ebay auctions on that card than any other by far.

ls7plus 06-04-2015 02:13 PM

In the 25+ years I have been collecting as an adult, these cards have always been in great demand. I don't believe there will be any change coming.

Best wishes to all,

Larry