Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1910 - 1915 decals (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211995)

minibatsman 09-25-2015 09:32 PM

1910 - 1915 decals

3 Attachment(s)
If John Hillerich says these decal are from 1910 - 1915 I would have to agree.

minibatsman 01-21-2016 12:05 PM

decal bats

these decals have been applied to many bats off different lengths.
My focus is mini bats that have been called salesman samples, presentation bats and other things except what I believe they really were ball park souvenirs. My reason for this post is to challenge auction houses to list them for what I believe they really are very nice vendor souvenirs.
I no a salesman probably had one or two of these bats in his pouch.
For 30 years I have made a note of every mini bat I have seen for sale.
In my notes I have seen 144 cobb decal bats for sale. during this same time I have seen 16 Connie Mack 12 inch H&S signature bats for sale.
I realize that when a individual sees an item they have in there sock drawer selling for $1500 dollars they put it up for sale. but the 1927 12 inch Ruth W.S. bat has sold for $800 I have seen 7 of them no one has ever even considered calling it a salesman sample. and would believe more than 7 were made. This change in description will have no effect on the final selling price. I no this could be controversial to auction houses but I believe there is enough information available to list these bats for what they really are.
Ball park, vendors or just the local five n dime store souvenirs.

MGHPro 01-21-2016 02:45 PM

I haven't Seen that many 12 inch bats in total , let alone one player - sure you don't mean 14 inch bats?

slidekellyslide 01-21-2016 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These decal mini bats could be ordered by the case. I have a hardware store catalog with these listed. I have this pic on my computer, but I actually have this catalog in my office at work so I can give more details on it tomorrow.

minibatsman 01-21-2016 10:43 PM

cobb decal mini bats

1.I should have been more detailed. the cobb decal bats are several sizes from 12 to 22 inches
I should have said 14 inch signature model mini bats.
There are 12 inch H&S block letter Wagner, Evers, Lajoie, and half dozen others that didn't qualify to be mentioned in the baseball encyclopedia.
They are very rare.
2.I have searched these mini bats for years with little information to go by except for what i wrote down myself. and my opinion
I am very interested in what your book has to say.

minibatsman 01-21-2016 11:06 PM

:)

MGHPro 01-22-2016 04:18 AM

I wouldn't think Evers would exist since he was not under contract with hillerich

minibatsman 01-22-2016 09:44 AM

Dave Bushing

2000 Mastro auction,s Evers game used 1911 -15 H&B block letter bat.
First the experts should no there is no such bat as a 1911-15 H&B bat.
There are block letter bats I would date to the 30s and up could this be a way for a bat company to sell a bat without a contract. I don't no but they do exist.

slidekellyslide 01-22-2016 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was wrong...these are not "mini bats" but rather "Junior" bats which they don't give a size for.

slidekellyslide 01-22-2016 01:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the page of other full size decal bats for those that might be interested in seeing better pics. btw this catalog is dated 1915.

mzm55 01-22-2016 02:17 PM

I was going through some of my files and found an appropriate advertisement to add to this thread from April 1913. This advertisement showcases these miniature bats, but I am not sure of their exact size. While miniature decal Louisville Slugger bats may have been sold at stadiums, this advertisement proves that they were marketed in retail stores just like normal, full-sized bats.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...psvolp8vtz.png

Also, in regard to the miniature Hank Gowdy bat, Louisville Slugger announced that they would honor Gowdy with a baseball bat in October 1914 following his great World Series performance. Moving swiftly while World Series fever was still out, Bud Hillerich actually called Gowdy at his hotel to get his signature that would in turn be used for the creation of the bat. I cannot say with confidence that the aforementioned bat was a miniature bat, but believe it to be connected with the miniature bat in the other thread.

Best,

Zach

MGHPro 01-22-2016 02:40 PM

Cool ad Zach.. Anyone ever see herb Schmidt ??

minibatsman 01-22-2016 09:26 PM

decals bats

I can see the reach decal bat can you post the photos off the other decal bats.
I have a Harry Davis reach decal bat it came from a 1912 dinner that he received an award from the town he played in?

Exhibitman 01-23-2016 12:37 PM

Kind of makes sense they'd be souvenirs. I mean, we know that by the 1930s mini bats were commonplace as ballpark souvenirs and giveaways. One of the first non-card items I picked up was a 1939 H & B Lefty O'Doul Day signature mini bat. So why assume some sort of complex explanation for the earlier versions? Sometimes the simple explanation is the right one.

Mac927 01-23-2016 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zach,

Great ad and information. The Hank Gowdy is still a bit of a mystery to me. Is there a record of Louisville slugger making BATS without a Louisville slugger label and replacing it with a certain event or series?

Great thread guys. I appreciate the info!

minibatsman 01-23-2016 11:55 PM

louisville slugger emblem

No in my opinion it is not common for H&S or H&B to not have there logo on any bat. on this bat I think the -.- is enough for me to say it is a H&S.
I have passed on some possibly rare bats just because they did not have the logo. no different than cards there are fakes out there and I wouldn't buy one without a logo.
why is Gowdy a mystery to you?