Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 authenticity help please (Update: Starr Drum Graded) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=212138)

cardsfan73 09-29-2015 03:44 PM

T206 authenticity help please (Update: Starr Drum Graded)

While I own several T206 cards I am far from an expert on these cards. So I am seeking out some help from those of you here with more knowledge than I have.

I had a chance to pick up a group of 3 cards today at a price that I can live with if I made a mistake. My gut says they are good but I would like to have more than my gut feeling to go with. Below are the scans of the cards, would love to hear opinions on them.

If I screwed up and I missed something obvious let me know!

Thanks,
Scott

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...psk3j8vtgr.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...psch69rkyd.jpg

ullmandds 09-29-2015 03:45 PM

nice cards...they are real...and that drum is spectacular!

Rob D. 09-29-2015 03:47 PM

Let the onslaught of PMs begin. Hope you're wearing shark repellent.

Jeffrompa 09-29-2015 03:52 PM

The Starr with the Drum back could be worth up to $900 to the right buyer . The
Lundgren and the Gibson EPDG maybe $20 each .

Sean 09-29-2015 03:53 PM

They definitely appear to be genuine.
And very valuable, in the case of that Drum.

ullmandds 09-29-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1457236)
The Starr with the Drum back could be worth up to $900 to the right buyer . The
Lundgren and the Gibson EPDG maybe $20 each .

$900? really? have you been living under a rock for 15 years?

Jeffrompa 09-29-2015 03:56 PM

What were you thinking ?

Joshchisox08 09-29-2015 03:57 PM

Look good to me. And a DRUM are you SERIOUS!!!!!!!! I hope you got this cheap if you're questioning their authenticity.

cardsfan73 09-29-2015 03:59 PM

Thanks for the quick input guys. Once I got home I compared it to my other t206 cards under magnification and it looked good. But like I said though, by no means am I an expert on t206 and it's not like I had another drum back to compare it too.

I was/still am in shock to find such a rare back "in the wild' so to speak. I figured I missed some obvious clue that it was a fake and you folks would educate me.

Thanks again,
Scott

caramelcard 09-29-2015 04:01 PM

Scott,

Congrats on a nice find. Did you find them in the field? That would be refreshing.

Robert

iwantitiwinit 09-29-2015 04:04 PM

They look real to me, great find.

caramelcard 09-29-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1457239)
$900? really? have you been living under a rock for 15 years?

You mean 2 years right?

Beatles Guy 09-29-2015 04:11 PM

Scott, that Drum is spectacular. Helluva find my friend.

ullmandds 09-29-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelcard (Post 1457246)
You mean 2 years right?

no...i meant 15 when I sold my solly hofman on ebay for over 1K.

Bocabirdman 09-29-2015 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What's the big deal? I have a Drum , though there might be some question as to ownership.:D

Attachment 206523

caramelcard 09-29-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1457251)
no...i meant 15 when I sold my solly hofman on ebay for over 1K.

I bought your solly hofman.

ullmandds 09-29-2015 04:22 PM

:D

caramelcard 09-29-2015 04:32 PM

Wish I still had it.............

ullmandds 09-29-2015 04:38 PM

i wish I still had it too...or even the leather recliner I bought with the funds...my cat destroyed that!!!!

Brian Weisner 09-29-2015 04:42 PM

Anyone who owns cats shouldn't buy any nice furniture.... ;)

Be well Brian

xplainer 09-29-2015 05:39 PM

OP, great cards (Drum). Could we have the story please?
You don't have to say what you paid, but give us the story.
I feel there is a story here.

I didn't expect to see the Drum.

atx840 09-29-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelcard (Post 1457260)
Wish I still had it.............

Me too :(

caramelcard 09-29-2015 06:42 PM

:)

asphaltman 09-29-2015 06:47 PM

Congrats - hope you bought a lottery ticket today too.

t206fix 09-29-2015 07:07 PM

I can't tell, you better send them to me for a better look. :D

Would you consider trading my first born and my cat for the Drum?

cardsfan73 09-29-2015 07:32 PM

I want to thank every one who has commented here or sent me a private message offering sound advice and/or congratulations on finding the card. I am constantly amazed at the knowledge and friendliness of the members here. I am a member of a few other sports card forums and they don't come close to the sense of community I feel here. Thanks to everyone who makes this place awesome!

Scott

Jobu 09-29-2015 08:15 PM

Wowza, nice find!

tab 09-29-2015 08:18 PM

WOW! Nice score!

asoriano 09-29-2015 08:43 PM

What's the story?

edjs 09-29-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asoriano (Post 1457351)
What's the story?

Yes, please tell us! I am obviously not the only one dying to know!

Jantz 09-29-2015 09:20 PM

Since it hasn't been mentioned.

The Lundgren EPDG is a tougher front/back combo and is worth more than $20 as stated earlier.

cardsfan73 09-29-2015 09:25 PM

Sorry I wasn't ignoring the request for the story, I just wasn't sure how interesting it was.

I like to spend some of my free time poking around flea markets, Thrift Stores, Antique Stores/Malls etc. Other than baseball cards I also collect old jazz records & vintage video games too.

Before today my best find as far as cards goes had been some lower grade 1950s Bowman and Topps common cards for less than a buck a pop and a few beater vintage star cards for cheap here and there. I usually run across tons of junk wax era stuff and low-mid grade vintage stars that are priced at near mint prices.

Today I went to an antique shop that I usually don't frequent because they typically only have furniture and home décor type stuff that I am not usually in the market for. My only reason for going in today was to look for some old peach crates to store my record collection in. I was looking around and saw these cards inside a locked curio cabinet with a bunch of other older trinkets. There were two groups of 3 cards and I looked at the price and almost walked away assuming these were all beater commons with common backs and at the price marked on them it was not worth it. I decided I better check them out to be sure and I was able to see the back side of the cards (they were on a glass shelf in the cabinet). It was an awkward angle and at first the only one I could see was the Sweet Caporal back.. no big deal, and then I saw the EPDG back and got a little excited and finally I could see the Drum back and knew it was rare.. But didn't know how rare. Did a quick search on the ebay app on my phone and didn't see any Drum backs listed. This got me a little excited being there were none on ebay. Then I went to t206.org and saw that Starr was available in a Drum back. I examined the card and it looked right but like I said I am far from an expert on this. I texted a fellow board member for some advice and he encouraged me to take a shot on it (Thanks Jason/Beatles Guy!!). I asked the lady if she could take the cards out for me and after looking them over I decided I would take a chance on them.

I was so nervous uploading the scans here because even though it seemed good I figured there was some obvious telltale sign that I had missed and I would be set straight & educated right away! I NEVER find anything like this!

One small coincidence is that I happened to get a t206 Hoffman in the mail today that I had purchased here in the BST... The seller I purchased the card from was Drumback!!

Thanks again for all the input guys, I hope the story wasn't to lame.

Scott

edjs 09-29-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsfan73 (Post 1457368)
Sorry I wasn't ignoring the request for the story, I just wasn't sure how interesting it was.

I like to spend some of my free time poking around flea markets, Thrift Stores, Antique Stores/Malls etc. Other than baseball cards I also collect old jazz records & vintage video games too.

Before today my best find as far as cards goes had been some lower grade 1950s Bowman and Topps common cards for less than a buck a pop and a few beater vintage star cards for cheap here and there. I usually run across tons of junk wax era stuff and low-mid grade vintage stars that are priced at near mint prices.

Today I went to an antique shop that I usually don't frequent because they typically only have furniture and home décor type stuff that I am not usually in the market for. My only reason for going in today was to look for some old peach crates to store my record collection in. I was looking around and saw these cards inside a locked curio cabinet with a bunch of other older trinkets. There were two groups of 3 cards and I looked at the price and almost walked away assuming these were all beater commons with common backs and at the price marked on them it was not worth it. I decided I better check them out to be sure and I was able to see the back side of the cards (they were on a glass shelf in the cabinet). It was an awkward angle and at first the only one I could see was the Sweet Caporal back.. no big deal, and then I saw the EPDG back and got a little excited and finally I could see the Drum back and knew it was rare.. But didn't know how rare. Did a quick search on the ebay app on my phone and didn't see any Drum backs listed. This got me a little excited being there were none on ebay. Then I went to t206.org and saw that Starr was available in a Drum back. I examined the card and it looked right but like I said I am far from an expert on this. I texted a fellow board member for some advice and he encouraged me to take a shot on it (Thanks Jason/Beatles Guy!!). I asked the lady if she could take the cards out for me and after looking them over I decided I would take a chance on them.

I was so nervous uploading the scans here because even though it seemed good I figured there was some obvious telltale sign that I had missed and I would be set straight & educated right away! I NEVER find anything like this!

One small coincidence is that I happened to get a t206 Hoffman in the mail today that I had purchased here in the BST... The seller I purchased the card from was Drumback!!

Thanks again for all the input guys, I hope the story wasn't to lame.

Scott

Scott, that is a way cool story! This is what all of us hope for every time we hit the flea markets, antique stores, thrift stores (I hope you guys don't mind if I use "we", I shouldn't speak for everyone). I personally would love to score a Drum back, in any shape, at a price I could afford. I have one Uzit, which took a major trade and cash to get (major for me anyway), and it is one of my most cherished cards, yet I would trade it straight for your Drum in a heartbeat (that is not an offer, just illustrating my point, but really, I would). So congrat's, and thanks for sharing the story. Cool.

tjb1952tjb 09-29-2015 10:13 PM

Great find.........

Thanks for sharing.

Jobu 09-29-2015 10:20 PM

Awesome story, thanks for posting it. I got excited just reading that. Did you buy all 6 or just the 3?

Guard the name of that store with your life!

cardsfan73 09-29-2015 10:32 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The other three were commons with common backs.. Two T206 cards and one T205. They were in worse shape than the ones I purchased. The t205 even had the borders cut off. The asking price on those were what I typically find in these kind of places.. that being way out of line.

Prior to this I had only found tobacco cards in a non sports card environment once before. The first time when I was 12 years old and I purchased T205 Topsy Hartsel at a flea market for $12, which based on the condition and the time period I purchased it I probably overpaid! Man I still wish I had that card today, it was my first Tobacco card and I sold it with the rest of my collection when I got out of the hobby in the early 90s.

asphaltman 09-30-2015 04:00 AM

Well since you seemed to have luck on your side I'm assuming you checked out the T205 and made sure it wasn't a Hoblitzell No Stats before turning that group down? :)

T206Collector 09-30-2015 06:25 AM

Amazing to find the cornerstone of a collection under these circumstances. Congrats and enjoy!

Jobu 09-30-2015 07:25 AM

Scott at the store: "I like Gibson and Lundgren for sure. You know what, I guess I will take the Starr too." :D

Leon 09-30-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1457454)
Scott at the store: "I like Gibson and Lundgren for sure. You know what, I guess I will take the Starr too." :D

Yeah, kind of like the T5 Cobb I got on ebay. I asked the seller if he had more....he said yeah, Matty, Wagner, Baker......I said I might be interested ....

RaidonCollects 09-30-2015 08:01 AM

Amazing story!

Great to see 2 new EPDGs and a Drum discovered, I would estimate the Drum to be worth about $10, but I'll take it for $15 :D:D:rolleyes:

~Owen:D

Beatles Guy 09-30-2015 08:10 AM

Happy to help Scott, I may have been as excited as you. My co-workers weren't quite understanding my enthusiasm though :) I almost drove over there to see for myself.

xplainer 09-30-2015 09:59 AM

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

mrvster 09-30-2015 07:13 PM

omg....

this shit doesn't happen to me!:D:eek:;)

GREAT DRUM!
:eek:

5 k card:D

cardsfan73 01-11-2016 09:02 PM

quick update..

The Starr Drum back graded a PSA 1, first to receive a numeric grade.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/...psvijbqm5d.jpg

ullmandds 01-11-2016 09:10 PM

very nice! i know a few people who may want that!!!!

edjs 01-11-2016 09:25 PM

Why, something makes me think they may have just that chance come tomorrow.

Mountaineer1999 01-12-2016 01:07 AM

Awesome card! Thanks for sharing the story and good luck on the sale.

Sean1125 01-12-2016 07:21 AM

Do not short yourself on a sale. If you are selling this needs to go in a no reserve auction.

Bliggity 01-12-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1490969)
Do not short yourself on a sale. If you are selling this needs to go in a no reserve auction.

Love of the Game