Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Got 120 seconds to kill? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213037)

antiquefootball 10-22-2015 08:58 AM

Got 120 seconds to kill?

Hey all,

I recently created a video showing the evolution of the football helmet from 1893 to 2015 using a morphing program, catalog images, and photos. I thought I'd post it here in case any of you had a few minutes to kill:

http://www.antiquefootball.com/helmet_evolution.htm

If anyone is interested in being added to my mailing list, there's a link on my main page or you can send me a message here. I've been working to grow it over the past 6 months. I only send one update a month so you don't have to worry about being inundated!

Take care,

Chris
www.antiquefootball.com

baseball tourist 10-22-2015 02:48 PM

Very cool! pls add me to your mailing list. chris@pacmedia.ca

vintagesportscollector 10-22-2015 02:57 PM

Very Cool! Chris - in addition to unparalled amounts of content, you have the slickest slight I think I have ever seen. Amazing web tech stuff.

khkco4bls 10-22-2015 04:45 PM

Chris, you have way too much time on your hands but I loved it:D

vintagesportflips 10-23-2015 06:24 AM

Wow Chris! That's awesome

CarltonHendricks 10-23-2015 12:11 PM

Right on

My gosh...Chris "Steven Spielberg" Hornung...awsome!!!!!!

perezfan 10-23-2015 12:52 PM

Unbelievably cool :cool:

But didn't see any Flat-Tops or 8 Spoke examples. Was a bit curious as to where they'd fit into the "morphing" chronology.

Great stuff!

antiquefootball 10-23-2015 03:06 PM

Perez,

There are a bunch of different branches to the football helmet's evolutionary tree. I started at the roots (ear protector/4-strap) and ran out the branch that was the most logical path to get to the modern helmet. The helmet shown as the 1905 example is a flattop. I believe that it is around the 0:31 second mark in the video. Flattops came out around 1905 and were sold all the way through the mid 1920's. 8-spokes share that same timeline, first appearing around 1905 and continued to be used by players all the way through the 1920's. However, based on my catalog research, at no time did 8-spokes represent the pinnacle of helmet design. They were introduced as a less expensive and more airy alternative.

Check out the charts below the video for the evolution of Spalding and Reach helmets between 1894 and 1925. These are comprehensive and show every helmet style manufactured during that period.

Mark70Z 10-23-2015 03:41 PM

Video

Chris,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this information in a really cool way. The video is amazing!

perezfan 10-23-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antiquefootball (Post 1464477)
Perez,

There are a bunch of different branches to the football helmet's evolutionary tree. I started at the roots (ear protector/4-strap) and ran out the branch that was the most logical path to get to the modern helmet. The helmet shown as the 1905 example is a flattop. I believe that it is around the 0:31 second mark in the video. Flattops came out around 1905 and were sold all the way through the mid 1920's. 8-spokes share that same timeline, first appearing around 1905 and continued to be used by players all the way through the 1920's. However, based on my catalog research, at no time did 8-spokes represent the pinnacle of helmet design. They were introduced as a less expensive and more airy alternative.

Check out the charts below the video for the evolution of Spalding and Reach helmets between 1894 and 1925. These are comprehensive and show every helmet style manufactured during that period.

Thanks Chris...

Hey, is there a name for the style shown at the :53 - :56 second mark? I have a Spalding just like this, and call it a "Tortoise Shell" (just because I heard a dealer refer to something of that nature many years ago).

Thanks again for the great website, and valuable info!
Mark

antiquefootball 10-23-2015 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1464504)
Thanks Chris...

Hey, is there a name for the style shown at the :53 - :56 second mark? I have a Spalding just like this, and call it a "Tortoise Shell" (just because I heard a dealer refer to something of that nature many years ago).

Thanks again for the great website, and valuable info!
Mark

Mark,

Just like the "executioner," the "tortoise shell" is a modern description of that style of helmet. Spalding started producing this helmet around 1929 and referred to it by Model number. The No. FWT (featherweight) was their top of the line head helmet in 1930, and was one of the first helmets equipped with Spalding's web strapping suspension inside the helmet. The No. T and the No. TL were similar models but with less expensive materials and features. See the attached catalog page from the 1930 Spalding Football Guide. Send me your email address and I'll send you a high resolution scan of the page.

Chris

perezfan 10-24-2015 10:58 AM

Chris-

Email sent... Thanks so much!

Mark

pariah1107 10-24-2015 11:44 AM

Chris,

Great research and method to show the evolution of football helmets. The site is awesome. Please add me to your mailing list: roslynyippersbaseball@gmail.com

Thank you, Ty

xplainer 10-24-2015 11:54 AM

Most excellent.
Enjoyed that.