Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just want to know. Hauls of Shame article on Net54. (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=214306)

Brian Van Horn 11-19-2015 06:59 AM

Just want to know. Hauls of Shame article on Net54.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=39919#more-39919

Leon,

All I want to know is are you selling the forum?

Leon 11-19-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1474323)
http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=39919#more-39919

Leon,

All I want to know is are you selling the forum?

NO, it isn't being sold. That article made my blood pressue go down it was so funny. I actually laughed out loud. Almost None of it is true, I am not selling the forum. I hear The ole genius Nash lost what little credibility he had it was so off mark. Maybe he should work on paying his bills instead of writing articles then he wouldn't be in bankruptcy, as of 3 months ago when he filed for it.

Brian Van Horn 11-19-2015 07:08 AM

OK, Leon.

Exhibitman 11-19-2015 10:36 AM

That's a relief.

D. Bergin 11-19-2015 10:42 AM

That's great. For a second there I thought we might get a Geico lizard for our new logo. ;)

Jobu 11-19-2015 11:08 AM

If Net54 really was for sale I think we would all know it because there would be a thread in the BST auction section.

1952boyntoncollector 11-19-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1474383)
If Net54 really was for sale I think we would all know it because there would be a thread in the BST auction section.

he could do a reverse auction...then be like that green cobb guy and if it gets too low just stop posting prices..

CW 11-19-2015 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BST ad would have this image:

autograf 11-19-2015 01:20 PM

$650K sounds pretty strong............your daughter could go to school for years......

Brian Van Horn 11-19-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1474413)

Well, I guess if Leon still has the quarter that would knock down any possible sale price to $649,999.75. :D

Econteachert205 11-19-2015 01:31 PM

Beckett would be getting a bargain in my opinion if it were true at that number.

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1474426)
Beckett would be getting a bargain in my opinion if it were true at that number.

Your valuation methodology?

autograf 11-19-2015 01:51 PM

At least he has a pretty good picture of you Leon.......

oldjudge 11-19-2015 02:19 PM

Peter--don't criticize an economics teacher

bnorth 11-19-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1474436)
At least he has a pretty good picture of you Leon.......

My favorite of Leon is the one with his brother standing by the Chevy Monza. My brother had the Spider edition with all the body accessories and a nicely built 283 engine.

buymycards 11-19-2015 03:07 PM

Leon

Leon, don't let that fool get you down. You have a lot of supporters on this board, including me.

Rick

HOF Auto Rookies 11-19-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1474453)
Leon, don't let that fool get you down. You have a lot of supporters on this board, including me.

Rick

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul S 11-19-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1474383)

Yes, it would be a trade for some of the cards he consigned to Heritage:)

Econteachert205 11-19-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1474433)
Your valuation methodology?

Beckett's ability to leverage their current business through the forum and improve in the graded card market through the board. I mean I'm not talking about a crazy difference in price but certainly 1 million dollars is not far fetched given collectors universe have a 100million plus valuation. Of course there are also revenue streams from ads. I did not specifically crunch numbers though so I do not mean to give the impression that I have some definitive inside knowledge.

rgpete 11-19-2015 05:00 PM

Who Cares

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1474469)
Beckett's ability to leverage their current business through the forum and improve in the graded card market through the board. I mean I'm not talking about a crazy difference in price but certainly 1 million dollars is not far fetched given collectors universe have a 100million plus valuation. Of course there are also revenue streams from ads. I did not specifically crunch numbers though so I do not mean to give the impression that I have some definitive inside knowledge.

Well OK I have no clue what CU's corporate valuation has to do with the value of a message board, or how one would value this "leveraging" opportunity, but then again I am just a dumb lawyer. :D

x2drich2000 11-19-2015 05:08 PM

Also don't forget collectors universe is more than just PSA. I believe the majority of their business is on the coin side.

DJ

oldjudge 11-19-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1474472)
but then again I am just a dumb lawyer.
:D

Finally, a truthful lawyer, LOL

Econteachert205 11-19-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Well OK I have no clue what CU's corporate valuation has to do with the value of a message board, or how one would value this "leveraging" opportunity, but then again I am just a dumb lawyer. :D

Peter, your not dumb but you are quite generous for giving me feedback on my opinions free of charge. My point about Beckett had to do with using the forum as a way to relaunch their grading service as the best through linking the forum to a registry and promoting discounted flips for members as well as taking much of the expert advice of those like yourself. My point about collectors universe and its valuation has more to do with Beckett's valuation, which has to be substantial, than the forum. As in, if Beckett felt about the forum and its usefulness as I do, one million would be a reasonable amount to pay. Btw I'm just a dumb schoolteacher so I have you beat. Also I hope none of what I type is perceived as being from a place of disrespect.

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1474493)
Peter, your not dumb but you are quite generous for giving me feedback on my opinions free of charge. My point about Beckett had to do with using the forum as a way to relaunch their grading service as the best through linking the forum to a registry and promoting discounted flips for members as well as taking much of the expert advice of those like yourself. My point about collectors universe and its valuation has more to do with Beckett's valuation, which has to be substantial, than the forum. As in, if Beckett felt about the forum and its usefulness as I do, one million would be a reasonable amount to pay. Btw I'm just a dumb schoolteacher so I have you beat. Also I hope none of what I type is perceived as being from a place of disrespect.

Couldn't Beckett do all that now, or at least the promotion, by taking out an ad instead of spending a million dollars? And it can read whatever advice is offered here for free. And I understood the point about CU as relating to Beckett's overall valuation, I just don't see what BECKETT's net worth has to do with what a message board is worth to them. Kinda begs the question what value the message board would add, as i see it. Dumb lawyer caveat repeated lol.

rdwyer 11-19-2015 07:30 PM

We're suppose to keep Leon from selling the site. Quit saying a million. :)

Econteachert205 11-19-2015 07:36 PM

Peter I don't disagree with anything you say. There is a lot of redundancy. I originally responded only to the Nash article from the the perspective of IF Beckett was interested in buying the forum for 650k that based in my mind what companies are paying currently to buy assets it seemed low to me.

autograf 11-19-2015 08:21 PM

Net54 doesn't have any assets though, right? Just the goodwill of posters and advertising revenue. Mao the question then is how many years of ad revenue would you be willing to pay for? 5-6 most likely?

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1474514)
Net54 doesn't have any assets though, right? Just the goodwill of posters and advertising revenue. Mao the question then is how many years of ad revenue would you be willing to pay for? 5-6 most likely?

Are you suggesting it is not a waterfront property?

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autograf (Post 1474514)

Presumably you would need to pay someone to moderate it too, so you would have to net that against the expected revenues.

oldjudge 11-19-2015 08:35 PM

The other question is how many people would remain on a chat board owned by a grading company. I don't think I would.

Peter_Spaeth 11-19-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1474520)
The other question is how many people would remain on a chat board owned by a grading company. I don't think I would.

CU is still pretty damn popular, for reasons that elude me.

Luke 11-19-2015 10:07 PM

That price seems incredibly high to me, but then again I have no idea what the ad revenue is. You'd basically be buying a management job, or you'd have to plan on paying a full-time mod.

chaddurbin 11-19-2015 10:42 PM

when i think about pre-war baseball-related collectibles, beckett is like 37th think on the list that pops into my head...right after graded card sleeve. not sure how they'd leverage their position in the hobby with this board. blowoutcards would make alot more sense with the shiny refractors and gem mint grades...

BeanTown 11-20-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1474483)
Finally, a truthful lawyer, LOL

+1

glchen 11-20-2015 03:14 AM

Frankly, this is all moot because Leon has already stated that he's not selling the forum, but there's a lot Beckett could do if they bought the forum. People have already talked about the banner ads already on the site for revenue. However, Beckett could try to promote more of the properties they own to the collectors on this site. For example, consign to Beckett and Goodwin auctions. Grade your cards at Beckett. Buy the Beckett magazine, etc. They could put a permanent link to Beckett's grading specials and subscription specials on the site. Any nice consignments they receive, they could put a story on the main forum. For advertisers to their magazine, they could say that they will automatically rotate some of their ads onto net54, so they could charge a little extra for advertising fees through this cross pollination. The net54 dinner at National could have more of a Beckett flavor. I'm just saying that there are a lot of things they could do, and still try to keep the forum as tasteful as possible so that people wouldn't leave in droves.

Orioles1954 11-20-2015 06:09 AM

Minute this board is sold is the minute I leave and not come back.

Jobu 11-20-2015 08:33 AM

I just wanted to acknowledge this image -- HA!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1474413)

PM770 11-20-2015 08:49 AM

Quote:

but then again I am just a dumb lawyer. :D

Great. Now I'm whenever I see a post from you I am going to think of the "pizza lawyer" commercials.

steve B 11-20-2015 09:39 AM

Last I checked Beckett already has a forum, one that's about as content light as the magazine. And all the advertising stuff others have mentioned is already being done on their website, aside from offering "us" a special deal.

CU has a forum, and emails and whatever else. I signed up for the card emails and get the coin ones. :confused: although I do sort of like the coin articles. Their boards aren't all that great, some content, but mostly "OMG WHY OH WHY ISN'T THIS CREASED CARD AT LEAST A 7?!?!?!" and stuff like that. (yes, an exaggeration, but not by much)

SGC has a board. It's not bad, but doesn't see much traffic.

Did GAI have one? Or is it coming Monday?

Having a message board that's relatively on-target, civil, and which has content and enough active members is vary hard. I'm on probably 4 of them and lurk on another. Two of those have really lost a bunch of traffic the last couple years. One because the guy running it sort of moved on to something else. The other because most of the experienced people who knew a LOT moved elsewhere mostly because the new guy wouldn't listen to the advice they asked for.

I don't think any of them actually make any profit. The one I lurk on might help the business of the guy who runs it, maybe.

Steve Birmingham

Beatles Guy 11-20-2015 10:12 AM

Beckett would run this place into the ground because of technical issues. When I first got back into the hobby in 2008, I went to Beckett and was a regular there. The site crashed constantly and would be out for weeks before it was fixed. That problem coupled with one time losing all data that collectors entered into their trading system, was my cue to leave that place. That, and they started to require a subscription.

fisherboy7 11-20-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1474620)
Last I checked Beckett already has a forum, one that's about as content light as the magazine. And all the advertising stuff others have mentioned is already being done on their website, aside from offering "us" a special deal.

CU has a forum, and emails and whatever else. I signed up for the card emails and get the coin ones. :confused: although I do sort of like the coin articles. Their boards aren't all that great, some content, but mostly "OMG WHY OH WHY ISN'T THIS CREASED CARD AT LEAST A 7?!?!?!" and stuff like that. (yes, an exaggeration, but not by much)

SGC has a board. It's not bad, but doesn't see much traffic.

Did GAI have one? Or is it coming Monday?

Having a message board that's relatively on-target, civil, and which has content and enough active members is vary hard. I'm on probably 4 of them and lurk on another. Two of those have really lost a bunch of traffic the last couple years. One because the guy running it sort of moved on to something else. The other because most of the experienced people who knew a LOT moved elsewhere mostly because the new guy wouldn't listen to the advice they asked for.

I don't think any of them actually make any profit. The one I lurk on might help the business of the guy who runs it, maybe.

Steve Birmingham

Hi Steve,

I'm guessing this will be deleted, but many former net54'ers from the early days re congregated on the Full Count forum years ago: http://vbbc.forumotion.com/

Traffic has petered out over the years but maybe it's time for a renaissance?

sportscardpete 11-20-2015 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisherboy7 (Post 1474631)
Hi Steve,

I'm guessing this will be deleted, but many former net54'ers from the early days re congregated on the Full Count forum years ago: http://vbbc.forumotion.com/

Traffic has petered out over the years but maybe it's time for a renaissance?

Petered out is way too kind of a word.

fisherboy7 11-20-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 1474635)
Petered out is way too kind of a word.

Call it what you want - my point was in response to Steve B - there is a not-for-profit prewar/vintage focused forum out there. It was once quite active and had quality content, and it can be that again. It all depends on the will of the collector.

Gary Dunaier 11-26-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1474559)
Leon has already stated that he's not selling the forum

Are you sure he can't be persuaded otherwise? I can pay cash... :D

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/593/22...aaed07c4_z.jpg

rjackson44 11-26-2015 09:30 AM

This peter is such a loser what a stupid article . What a lowlife dick

gnaz01 11-26-2015 10:24 AM

Or maybe this (just having some fun, LL)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTmXHvGZiSY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ls7plus 11-28-2015 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1474372)
That's a relief.

ditto. Wouldn't even be close to the same.

Larry