Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Changing the strike zone ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217171)

Frank A 01-26-2016 09:06 AM

Changing the strike zone ?

You have got to be kidding me. Years ago they lowered the mound to help the hitters. It appears to have done nothing. Now they want to make the strike zone smaller. What will they gain from this, NOTHING. Todays players can't hit. In this day and age a .275 hitter is thought to be great. What a joke. Three quarters of the strikeouts are from batters swinging at any pitch when he has 2 strikes. There are not enough good players out there is the problem. Players in all sports have lost thier pride and just play for the money. Changing the strike zone won't do a thing. The lousy hitters will still be lousy hitters. Frank

Tripredacus 01-26-2016 02:57 PM

What is the aim here? When a league talks about changing a rule it means they want something in the game to change. Either to make it more exciting or to get away from a situation where injury can occur. Do they want more walks?

I think that pitchers have it hard enough as it is, which isn't really MLB's fault.

D. Bergin 01-26-2016 06:40 PM

Umpires have finally gotten somewhat consistent with the strike zone the last few years, and now they want to go screw it up again? :confused:

Pitchers have a small enough zone to pitch to as it is IMO.

Pitching and pitching strategy have gotten better...but that's no reason to start juicing baseballs, strike zones and biceps muscles again.

Runscott 01-28-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1496229)
Umpires have finally gotten somewhat consistent with the strike zone the last few years, and now they want to go screw it up again? :confused:

Pitchers have a small enough zone to pitch to as it is IMO.

Pitching and pitching strategy have gotten better...but that's no reason to start juicing baseballs, strike zones and biceps muscles again.

Agreed that it shouldn't be done. If anything, make it bigger.

Disagree that umpires are getting consistent - I see more inconsistency than ever.

jiw98 01-28-2016 05:48 PM

I saw an article about using automated "K" zone. The article was saying that the technology is there so let's use it to make the strike zone the same for everybody. I don't know if this is something that the MLB is discussing or not, but it sure would be a big change for the umpires.

Runscott 01-28-2016 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiw98 (Post 1497003)
I saw an article about using automated "K" zone. The article was saying that the technology is there so let's use it to make the strike zone the same for everybody. I don't know if this is something that the MLB is discussing or not, but it sure would be a big change for the umpires.

I like using humans to make all the decisions in sports. It worked using humans for many, many years in all sports, and I personally enjoy watching the game less now. Same for football. If the officials are now screwing up so much that they can't be trusted to officiate without technical aids, then fire them - it's a tough job to get and I'm sure there are good ones waiting in the wings.

Obviously many enjoy these sports more now, so I'm outvoted - I'm fine with that also.