Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Jackie Robinson Signature Real? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219968)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-22-2016 06:09 PM

Jackie Robinson Signature Real?

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so I found a cool piece that is up for sale.

The Jackie looks good to me but some of the other players look real bad.

Any advice on the Jackie?

The snider and Hodges look real bad. Could they be club house or just is this piece fake period.

I have included a photo from Ron Keurajian's book which matches up pretty dead on to Jackies Signature. Any advice? I want to pull the trigger.

keithsky 03-22-2016 06:22 PM

Look at the C on Billy Cox, Carl Furillo and Roy Campy. There all the same style C. Then the D in Don Newcombe and Duke Snider look the same. Nothing looks good to me. Even the R in Preacher Roe and Pee Wee Reese look the same. The H in Hodges and Hermanski are also the same. I'm not an expert but the ones I mentioned would throw a red flag to me on the whole thing. Pretty easy to see all those were done by the same guy.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-22-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithsky (Post 1518053)
Look at the C on Billy Cox, Carl Furillo and Roy Campy. There all the same style C. Then the D in Don Newcombe and Duke Snider look the same. Nothing looks good to me. I'm not an expert but the ones I mentioned would throw a red flag to me on the whole thing.

I agree. It looks like they were all signed by same hand EXCEPT jackie and reese to me.

And if you look, the biggest gap is from right below reese. That is why I was wondering could it be that person originally had the first 2 sign and then either get clubhouses or sign the rest themselves not thinking it was worth money just to complete it?

The Jackie looks good from what I have seen. Any experts?

daves_resale_shop 03-22-2016 06:58 PM

Jackie

Looks good in my opinion... Perhaps the rest are non malicious forgeries...

mrmopar 03-22-2016 07:05 PM

FurRillo must have been drunk and spelled his name wrong with an extra R.

39special 03-22-2016 07:07 PM

Whoever signed Furillos name spelled it wrong.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-22-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop (Post 1518067)
Looks good in my opinion... Perhaps the rest are non malicious forgeries...

Thanks. You think I should take a chance on it?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-22-2016 07:23 PM

Damn that's the second time I posted something Jackie related on here and it sold before I could buy it as I was waiting for advice. Hope it's a coincidence.

khkco4bls 03-22-2016 07:24 PM

Take a chance at what cost

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-22-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khkco4bls (Post 1518088)
Take a chance at what cost

No cost now because someone bought it in the last 5 mins lol it was 275

Stampsfan 03-23-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1518073)
FurRillo must have been drunk and spelled his name wrong with an extra R.

Love it!!! I'm not sure I ever have been that drunk, to misspell my name.

The guy who signed the majority got his wife to sign the first two.

I think you got lucky.

Michael B 03-23-2016 08:53 AM

Forest for the trees. It is easy to get distracted by what we want to see versus what is actually there. The person who signed the Reese signature also signed the Newcombe and Roe. I would suggest the same person signed them all as every signature has that long downward stroke, save the Jackie "Rubinson" signature. It is not even signed Robinson. It must be his Jewish cousin.

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2016 10:05 AM

I agree with the Robinson being good, but all others are no good.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-23-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1518275)

Thanks. The O in robinson didn't scare me as he doesn't always connect the O in the early 50 signatures. I am learning lol

scmavl 03-23-2016 01:52 PM

Jackie and Pee Wee are good. The rest are a kid writing out the players' names.

Michael B 03-23-2016 02:00 PM

I will readily defer to those who know these signatures. I try to view items like this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Rookiemonster 03-23-2016 02:11 PM

Even the paper looked fake . It looked like it was aged by somebody . I doubt that the Jackie was real and then somebody added a bunch of fakes .

Duluth Eskimo 03-23-2016 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You're probably right. Why evaluate each signature when you can assume whatever you'd like. Here is another Jackie from 1955-56 period with an open u.

RichardSimon 03-23-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1518275)

I agree with that.
It looks like an old piece of paper from a school composition notebook. What probably happened was a kid or family member got the signature of Jackie and then the kid or family member added all the others.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 03-24-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1518444)
I agree with that.
It looks like an old piece of paper from a school composition notebook. What probably happened was a kid or family member got the signature of Jackie and then the kid or family member added all the others.

I'm excited that I was able to come to that conclusion on my own at first. Obviously the experts agreeing helps a LOT, but it's good to see that this homework is paying off!

khkco4bls 03-24-2016 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine for comparison sake

bcawly 08-28-2016 06:15 AM

Good on Jackie

The Jackie Robinson is GOOD!

Bcwcardz 08-28-2016 11:55 AM

Sorry but I wouldnt trust any signature unless it was done in front of me personally. So that eliminates most people. Thats what its come to now in the world of sports autographs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

btcarfagno 08-28-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcwcardz (Post 1578242)
Sorry but I wouldnt trust any signature unless it was done in front of me personally. So that eliminates most people. Thats what its come to now in the world of sports autographs.

Certainly your right to feel that way. But I would disagree that "that is what it has come to". At least if you do your homework anyway.

Tom C

RichardSimon 08-28-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcwcardz (Post 1578242)

And the purpose of this post is,,,, ??????

Johnny630 08-28-2016 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So happy to have this in my collection from a great long time seller.

Bcwcardz 08-29-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1578273)

The sad state of the industry because of rampant fraud. Thats all. Autos used to be for kids and had little worth other than sentimental. Now that its such a huge business its become a mess in multiple ways.

Bcwcardz 08-29-2016 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1578273)

Also just to get people talking. It makes the board more interesting. Kind of like the guy complaining about people jacking up prices and him wanting Beckett to regulate pricing. That post was multiple pages within 24hrs.

Leon 08-31-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bcwcardz (Post 1578713)
The sad state of the industry because of rampant fraud. Thats all. Autos used to be for kids and had little worth other than sentimental. Now that its such a huge business its become a mess in multiple ways.

It happens to many things. Jefferson Burdick, the American Grandfather of Collecting, hated that his beloved cards had any value at all. He did the best he could to never equate them to a monetary value (he always kept his valuations extremely low for that reason). Just as cards aren't as much a kid's hobby anymore so aren't many autographs.

packs 08-31-2016 11:43 AM

Autographs and signatures have always been collected by adults. I don't know where the notion they are strictly for kids comes from.