Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brian Powell Featured in the Sport's Collectors Daily today! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=222223)

kailes2872 05-09-2016 03:06 PM

Brian Powell Featured in the Sport's Collectors Daily today!

Sounds like an awesome book - 64k for 16/26 Esskay Franks Baltimore Orioles !?!?

Congrats Brian!
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...nal-card-sets/

Leon 05-09-2016 07:08 PM

Nice and well written article (and I am sure well written book too), Brian P.. Thanks for posting it Kevin.

Bestdj777 05-09-2016 07:12 PM

Congrats buddy! It's a terrific book, and it is so nice to see it getting some press!

Rich Klein 05-10-2016 06:53 AM

Last year I wrote about how Brian was getting "hosed" in favor of books about obscure Cleveland Spiders shortstops with minimal HOF chances. I'm glad to see that Brian finally got published.

Rich

Tripredacus 05-10-2016 12:29 PM

So there is no actual book here? Just a DVD with a PDF on it?

Zach Wheat 05-10-2016 01:00 PM

B Powell

Hey Brian,

Glad to see you are getting some recognition!

Z

the 'stache 05-10-2016 08:13 PM

Very nice work, Brian. Congratulations!

Bestdj777 05-10-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripredacus (Post 1537340)

It's an e-book that's uploaded by CD.

KingFisk 05-12-2016 05:29 PM

Congrats, Brian!

brian1961 05-13-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripredacus (Post 1537340)

Good afternoon. Thanks for the kind words. It means a great to me coming from youse guys.

Wow, it did take a long time to complete and get to the place of being ready to sell to you all, but, I suppose it's the same as collecting these brutally tough gems I wrote about. They played "hard to get" right from the get-go. I wrote my book as one collector to another collector. I wrote to enlighten, entertain, and inspire you about these delectable, choice items.

This book was difficult to get published, right from the get-go. Since McFarland Publishing had never done a baseball card book, they were very hesitant, and finally ignored Tom and I. I guess they must think there isn't any interest in a book about vintage baseball cards. Tom and I turned to Amazon.com's self-publishing arm, Create-Space. As we looked closely at the parameters of what they offer, you could choose either all basic reading paper, at about $47 a book, with no profit added. Or, you may choose all picture-quality paper at about $75 smackers a pop; again, no profit has been added for me.

So, the few but dazzling photos would look absolutely crummy, and the whole thing still cost close to $50; again, with no profit. The photos would look gorgeous on their photo paper, as would the reading matter. How many of you chaps would bristle at a price tag of $75 for a book, without me making a penny?

Seriously. Can you imagine?

Then one day last year, the thought occurred to me of Krause's Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. They do it as the thick softcover, or on a CD.

Viola.

The same firm that does the Krause Standard Cat on CD did my NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. You read it by inserting the CD into the disc drive of your computer tower or laptop. At close to 480 pages, dual-page formatted to resemble an opened book, and bookmarks off to the side to take you to any entity of the book instantly, it looks super on the computer. There's approximately 32 mostly-color photos; they all look smashing.

Housed in a quality black DVD case, it gives the appearance of a small book.

Believe me, you're getting a LOT for your $30. Postpaid, sent to you first class mail.

I'm just so happy and thankful to God it is done and ready now to sell.

Again, I thank you all for your good wishes. Take care and have a swell weekend.:D

---Brian Powell

Kenmarks 05-13-2016 06:00 PM

Great!!

Wow. That is great. Next step after posting this note is to go track down the article. Hopefully it talks how we might get your book. Been looking forward to it. Congrats!!!