Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New York Giants stuffed baseball doll... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=266094)

toyman55 02-22-2019 07:43 AM

New York Giants stuffed baseball doll...

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought this to go along with my brooklyn dodgers emmet Kelly doll. Has anyone seen this doll before and if so what is the value and what year was it made.

ooo-ribay 02-22-2019 09:59 AM

I’ve seen that doll (or something very similar) maybe once or twice. A total guess as to era would be the 1920’s. I think “value” could only be determined by throwing it in an auction. What did you pay for it?

perezfan 02-22-2019 10:17 AM

It's called a "Straw Doll" and has definite value. I have this one, as well as a Brooklyn Bum and the Boston Braves version. The Bum is worth the most, followed by the Giants, and then the Braves. They are from the late 1940s - early '50s, and are rare. Rarity does not always translate to value, however... as these things are always based upon demand.

Inside The Park Collectibles does a very nice job with this type of stuff, and has sold a few of these over the years. If you wanted to sell it, I would consider consigning it over to them.

Or there's always eBay. As far as value, I would estimate the following...

Brooklyn Bum - $125 - $150
NY Giants - $75 - $100
Boston Braves - $60 - $80

There are also generic versions, not affiliated with any specific team. These go for about $25 - $30. Hope this is helpful.

perezfan 02-22-2019 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post pics of the three, since these are seldom-seen...

The Bum, Giants and Braves Dolls can all be seen in these photos. If they stand on their own without assistance and are in nice condition, they can sell for more than the prices I stated previously. All depends upon who is bidding at the time. I have seen the Bum sell as high as $400 on rare occasion.

andypcl 02-22-2019 10:38 AM

Bum

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info on this Mark. I've had this bum for a long time and figured it was some sort of homemade creation. Shale, does your Giant have a uniform number? Mark, is your bum also #4 ?

perezfan 02-22-2019 10:50 AM

Yes... #4 :D Although mine is apparently missing the eye pupils.

I guess the "artist" (i.e. some impoverished 3rd world minor) either forgot to draw them, or was just trying to meet his/her production quota for the day.

andypcl 02-22-2019 11:00 AM

Bum

Your "artist" was making evil Duke Sniders with those eyebrows.

perezfan 02-22-2019 11:16 AM

Haha... yeah, I do like it the way it is... looks kind of demonic!

ooo-ribay 02-22-2019 12:05 PM

Thanks for your usual great info, Mark.

I guess I’ll “come clean” and admit why I, as a Giants collector, don’t have one of these guys (even though I’ve had my chance). IMO, these things are hideous! :eek:

I hope I haven’t offended anyone. :p

perezfan 02-22-2019 12:10 PM

Understood...

But sometimes these things are so bad, they're good. :rolleyes:

perezfan 02-22-2019 12:13 PM

I think the Rempel Dolls were meant to be squeeky toys for dogs.

They're pretty hideous as well... but I still love 'em!

seattlerainiers 02-22-2019 12:31 PM

Primo

The best thing about query threads like these is being able to see slivers of Mark's exemplary collection, wonderfully displayed.

Mark70Z 02-22-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1857174)
Thought I would post pics of the three, since these are seldom-seen...

The Bum, Giants, Braves Dolls can all be seen in these photos.

Mark,

Is the Bird pictured an Oriole? If so, would love to see a pic of just that or just a closer look...

ooo-ribay 02-22-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark70Z (Post 1857246)
Mark,

Is the Bird pictured an Oriole? If so, would love to see a pic of just that or just a closer look...

Definitely an Oriole. It looks like a companion to the Redleg hand puppet on the left.

CarltonHendricks 02-22-2019 04:49 PM

mays sunglasses

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlerainiers (Post 1857231)
The best thing about query threads like these is being able to see slivers of Mark's exemplary collection, wonderfully displayed.

Including those bang-up willy mays sunglasses...

perezfan 02-22-2019 05:41 PM

Yup.... definitely a Baltimore Orioles Puppet. One of those goofy little items you NEVER see, and is so rare. Pretty thin market for Baseball-themed Puppets, as compared to Autos, Cards, Photos, etc. But I was very happy and rather lucky to find it (gotta love the quirky oddball stuff). At least the Oriole is more cute than hideous! I'll try to post some better pics of it over the weekend.

And thanks for the nice compliments Dave and Carlton! I hope the bulk of the collection isn't hideous, and am considering making a deal with Chris G... I'll wear the Say Hey Glasses to the National if he carries the Reds Purse!

toyman55 02-22-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andypcl (Post 1857175)
Thanks for the info on this Mark. I've had this bum for a long time and figured it was some sort of homemade creation. Shale, does your Giant have a uniform number? Mark, is your bum also #4 ?

Yes it has a 4 on the back.

Bignoff 02-23-2019 10:25 PM

this is my Cardinals Doll

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1550985896

pologrounds 02-25-2019 12:35 PM

One of the best postings that I have seen on Net54. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Mays
Mayseum

slamdunc09 02-26-2019 12:02 PM

Any ideas on this one?

1 Attachment(s)
Any ideas on this doll? It still has the tag attached but the felt letters on the jersey and cap have disintegrated.

ooo-ribay 02-26-2019 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
;)

perezfan 02-26-2019 05:44 PM

Don't know a thing about that one posted directly above, but it's most likely one of those generic types that I mentioned earlier. Looks like it came from a different "maker", and probably worth only $30 - $35 on a good day.

The trouble is that specific Team Collectors will have no interest, and as a generic Baseball piece, there are probably nicer looking/more desirable figural pieces to collect. That particular doll may have been done by a different manufacturer than the Giants, Bums, Braves and Cardinals.

As for the Cardinals... it's rare and seldom (if ever) seen... But as stated earlier, rarity doesn't always translate to value. $75 - $85 would be about the top limit for that one in its apparent VG-EX condition. Regardless, it's cool to know there's a Cardinals version. Come to think of it, I once saw a similar Reds Doll as well.

sayhey24 03-01-2019 07:28 AM

The real story in this thread is that Mark's photos did not come out sideways!

Greg

batsballsbases 03-01-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1859095)
The real story in this thread is that Mark's photos did not come out sideways!

Greg

Greg ,
He's Learning!:D:D

perezfan 03-01-2019 12:17 PM

I haven't learned shit!

All of my editing, rotating and saving does nothing at all. The only thing I learned is to hold the camera sideways for the subsequent image to come out right. :o

batsballsbases 03-01-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1859155)
I haven't learned shit!

All of my editing, rotating and saving does nothing at all. The only thing I learned is to hold the camera sideways for the subsequent image to come out right. :o

Mark,
When I see your photos I always make sure I turn my computer screen to which ever way you have taken the picture! It all seems to work out fine for me !;);):eek::eek: