Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   selling your collection at the national (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271816)

HOF Yankees 07-30-2019 08:24 AM

selling your collection at the national

how many will be doing this at the national these days with all the trimming and altered card stuff going on??

I am 50/50 on it myself I may sell it or may not, but if I do decide to sell it at the national any tips cause I have never sold anything there.

Republicaninmass 07-30-2019 08:29 AM

I went on the sneak preview. Dealers were too busy to even look at what I had brought, then had to lug it around the whole show

Johnny630 07-30-2019 08:29 AM

Don't the dealers will destroy you.........meaning knock you down....way down on what you want for your collection.

HOF Yankees 07-30-2019 08:31 AM

thanks for the info

Peter_Spaeth 07-30-2019 08:35 AM

It all depends on what you have and if your objective is maximizing your return or just making a quick and convenient sale and walking away with cash. IMO you're almost certain not to maximize your return walking cards around a show.

HOF Yankees 07-30-2019 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1904056)
It all depends on what you have and if your objective is maximizing your return or just making a quick and convenient sale and walking away with cash. IMO you're almost certain not to maximize your return walking cards around a show.

1960 topps near set of 439/572 average EX-EXMT some NM, some PSA but most raw/ungraded and some PSA 8 commons

I have been checking ebay to see what stuff is selling for to kinda get a idea

timn1 07-30-2019 08:54 AM

Thoughts of a “dealer”

As someone who is a dealer once a year at the National,, and is otherwise a collector who has been in your shoes, I would say,

Don’t schlep a ton of stuff around all at once, bring just a few things that represent your collection, and a full list of everything else. Leave the rest in the car or your hotel room until you need it. Then look for dealers who are selling the type of stuff you have. Wait until people aren’t too busy and then approach. atLUTFA cards we love to have people come up and ask us if we’re buying. We don’t buy everything, of course, but we’re always glad to see stuff. (We are at booth 411, lol.). I would also say, if you’re serious about selling, give yourself enough time. Don’t expect it to happen in an hour. It might take most of a day to find the right person who wants your stuff, but don’t get discouraged. Just because one or even ten dealers pass on it doesn’t mean there’s not a buyer for it.

As far as prices go, it’s probably true that you could make somewhat more from an auction house but it will take months to get paid unless you can get an advance, which is not the norm. Obviously dealers at the show have to make their expenses and some profit, or why would they ever buy anything? But most will treat you fairly. We certainly will.

Good luck,
Tim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1904056)

HOF Yankees 07-30-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1904060)
As someone who is a dealer once a year at the National,, and is otherwise a collector who has been in your shoes, I would say,

Don’t schlep a ton of stuff around all at once, bring just a few things that represent your collection, and a full list of everything else. Leave the rest in the car or your hotel room until you need it. Then look for dealers who are selling the type of stuff you have. Wait until people aren’t too busy and then approach. atLUTFA cards we love to have people come up and ask us if we’re buying. We don’t buy everything, of course, but we’re always glad to see stuff. (We are at booth 411, lol.). I would also say, if you’re serious about selling, give yourself enough time. Don’t expect it to happen in an hour. It might take most of a day to find the right person who wants your stuff, but don’t get discouraged. Just because one or even ten dealers pass on it doesn’t mean there’s not a buyer for it.

As far as prices go, it’s probably true that you could make somewhat more from an auction house but it will take months to get paid unless you can get an advance, which is not the norm. Obviously dealers at the show have to make their expenses and some profit, or why would they ever buy anything? But most will treat you fairly. We certainly will.

Good luck,
Tim

thank you all for the tips!!! If i do go to the national this week I will for sure stop by and say hello, and to some of the other net54 members!!

BeanTown 07-30-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timn1 (Post 1904060)

Good luck,
Tim

One thing I won't do again is have a young guy take around items valued from 50-500 to sell. I think he ended up selling you or Mike a nice zeenut for 70.00 that had the coupon. Clearly a 300.00 card, but his education was worth it. Glad yall ended up with some of the stuff he was hauling around in hus backpack. I told him to stop by your booth. Agreed you need to shop around. Have a notebook with you and write down booth number and offer and then go to next dealer who sells stuff like what you have.

packs 07-30-2019 09:42 AM

If you're looking to make money I can't think of a worse venue than a card show. You'll maximize value by selling to collectors, not dealers.

Aquarian Sports Cards 07-30-2019 09:46 AM

Surprised nobody has said it, but there will be plenty of options for auction consignments at the National (I won't be there so this is pretty unbiased!) I know every auction is different but any auction worth it's salt is going to get you more than a dealer will give you even after commission. Basically they WANT you to make as much money as possible because the more you make the more they make. A dealer wants you to take as little as possible. Will Heritage or Robert Edwards want your partial set. Probably not, but there are definitely a few auctions that will likely be there that could do well with it for you.

x2drich2000 07-30-2019 09:56 AM

Basically with selling there are 3 points to consider: speed of payment, your effort, and the the amount of money you get. Pick which two are most important to you.

Sell to dealer = quick payment, little effort, little money
Sell to collectors = quick payment, more effort, more money
Sell in auction = slowest payment, little effort, more money (but also with risk that the item sells for less)

timber63401 07-30-2019 04:33 PM

I would think you would have better luck posting here on B/S/T.

ullmandds 07-30-2019 05:18 PM

I agree with much that has been said on this topic...IMO...selling your collection at the national would most likely equate to a fire sale like price for you...and would be a pain in the buttocks! Better off consigning to one of the many auction houses...But I wouldn't recommend PWCC!!!!:p

frankbmd 07-30-2019 05:38 PM

Just A Thought

How many consignors in the current REA Auction are kicking themselves for not realizing they could sell their assets by walking the aisles at the National?

JollyElm 07-30-2019 05:49 PM

Well, I heard PWCC has a booth at the National. Walk up to them with a box full of X-Acto knives, colored markers, bottles of bleach, a book press, etc. Tell them if they buy your collection, you will give them the case of helpful accoutrements for free!!

kmac32 07-30-2019 05:53 PM

I took my W572 collection to the National 2 years ago and ended up selling mine at auction through Heritage. They gave me a fair contract and I did well. Came close to selling through Love of the Game as it was an unusual item I was selling and Al actually offered a fantastic contract but in the end I went for the bigger Name auction house with a bigger exposure. Don’t be afraid to talk to auctions n houses if you have something special.

BeanTown 07-30-2019 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 1904212)
I took my W572 collection to the National 2 years ago and ended up selling mine at auction through Heritage. They gave me a fair contract and I did well. Came close to selling through Love of the Game as it was an unusual item I was selling and Al actually offered a fantastic contract but in the end I went for the bigger Name auction house with a bigger exposure. Don’t be afraid to talk to auctions n houses if you have something special.

Can't go wrong with either AH. Both are professional and get results

HOF Yankees 07-30-2019 07:02 PM

as always thanks all for the help!!!