Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Roger Maris Funeral Program Signed by Mickey Mantle (and Richard Nixon) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275194)

robbieg 10-28-2019 07:15 AM

Roger Maris Funeral Program Signed by Mickey Mantle (and Richard Nixon)

1 Attachment(s)
Below you will see a Roger Maris funeral program I picked up some time ago. I thought I paid a fair price for it, given its rarity, given how difficult it is to find one signed by Mick and the quality of the Mick autograph.

I also collect political autographs. And the more I looked at the "RN" that is also on the program, the more I began to wonder whether President Nixon, who attended the funeral, signed it. A few people I have talked to agree that President Nixon signed it and that whoever originally sent this to PSA/DNA had no idea and didn't ask for them to review that signature.

Anyway, I wanted to share the item, and I also wanted to see what y'all thought it might be worth.

Mr. Zipper 10-28-2019 09:11 AM

I have seen a similar RN circled used by Richard Nixon on memos, letters to friends, etc. I believe this is him.

Here is a similar RN signature on the same program. According to description, Nixon attended the memorial service at St Patrick's in NYC.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/autographs.../46091-12404.s

robbieg 10-28-2019 09:25 AM

Thank you for posting this auction as a reference. I appreciate how helpful everyone is on the board.

mr2686 10-28-2019 09:28 AM

I agree. He had multiple variations on his circled initials and this looks like one of them.

packs 10-28-2019 09:40 AM

I think Nixon's signature actually devalues the piece a lot. Mickey by himself would have been a pretty cool item. But Nixon's signature not only hurts the item's appeal aesthetically, but he has no association with Maris.

Ryan1125 10-28-2019 10:46 AM

Obviously an incredibly unique item with real value, but man...could you imagine asking for autographs at a funeral? (And both being on there reinforces the fact that it was likely signed at it...:()

robbieg 10-28-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1926857)
I think Nixon's signature actually devalues the piece a lot. Mickey by himself would have been a pretty cool item. But Nixon's signature not only hurts the item's appeal aesthetically, but he has no association with Maris.

While I am not under the impression that President Nixon's autograph enhances the value of the piece, I do not buy the fact that it diminishes the value of the pieces in any real way. And if you find someone who collects sports and politics autographs like me, it will being a premium.

President Nixon does have an association with Maris and with the Yankees.

The president and Maris corresponded at length during Maris' illness. These letters have been displayed publicly. The two of them also attended a Yankee game together before Maris passed away. For these reasons, and probably others, President Nixon attended the Maris funeral.

As far as President Nixon's association with the Yankees: Major League Baseball suspended George Steinbrenner, a friend of the president's, for making illegal campaign contributions to the Committee to Re-elect the President (CREEP - I'm sure y'all know this acronym from Watergate history) - and, although this was an unpleasant episode, Steinbrenner remained friends with Nixon for the rest of the president's life.

robbieg 10-28-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan1125 (Post 1926865)
Obviously an incredibly unique item with real value, but man...could you imagine asking for autographs at a funeral? (And both being on there reinforces the fact that it was likely signed at it...:()

Autographing a funeral crossed my mind, too. Super awkward.

Thank you again to everyone for the feedback. I have been reading this board for a while, but I am making an effort to be more engaged going forward.

Mr. Zipper 10-28-2019 11:57 AM

Nixon was a super baseball fan and I do not believe he detracts from it at all.

Although, I wonder if Mantle signed at the service. Given the carefully applied signature in blue Sharpie, I suspect this was signed by Mantle later at a paid signing.

And yeah... signing at a memorial service seems a bit awkward and may explain the abbreviated Nixon style.

packs 10-28-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbieg (Post 1926874)
While I am not under the impression that President Nixon's autograph enhances the value of the piece, I do not buy the fact that it diminishes the value of the pieces in any real way. And if you find someone who collects sports and politics autographs like me, it will being a premium.

President Nixon does have an association with Maris and with the Yankees.

The president and Maris corresponded at length during Maris' illness. These letters have been displayed publicly. The two of them also attended a Yankee game together before Maris passed away. For these reasons, and probably others, President Nixon attended the Maris funeral.

As far as President Nixon's association with the Yankees: Major League Baseball suspended George Steinbrenner, a friend of the president's, for making illegal campaign contributions to the Committee to Re-elect the President (CREEP - I'm sure y'all know this acronym from Watergate history) - and, although this was an unpleasant episode, Steinbrenner remained friends with Nixon for the rest of the president's life.

I appreciate your passion for the piece but you may ultimately be the best buyer for it too. I think you'd have to find someone who thinks like you do to maximize appeal but from my perspective it would be much easier to find someone who likes Mickey Mantle by himself.

Case12 10-29-2019 10:01 AM

It's an awesome piece of history. If I we're holding a program at the wake and bump into the president, I might have him sign it under the right circumstances. Nixon was very popular during his presidency. Similar idea - if I had a signed Mantle ball, and on the panel Dick signed it too, I wouldn't want to let go of it. But one of a kind things don't appeal to everyone....