Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My first Ruth! (let's see yours) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275838)

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-13-2019 12:46 PM

My first Ruth! (let's see yours)

1 Attachment(s)
Ever since I got in to vintage card collecting a few years ago, I've been wanting to add an authentic Ruth from his playing days. I felt like my card collection wouldn't be complete without at least one card of the Babe. The problem is that my card budget doesn't really allow me to purchase $1000+ baseball cards.

So after researching "bargain Ruth" options (Sanella, Kashin, Fro Joy), I was thrilled to recently find this well loved 1935 Goudey for a reasonable price.

And since my FAVORITE Ruth card is the 1933 Goudey 181 (green Ruth) it's a nice bonus that this card uses the same image.

Maybe someday I'll save up enough for the 1933, but until then, I'm perfectly happy with this one. I mean it's a Goudey gum card of the Babe! No doubt loved by whatever kid pulled it from a pack in 1935 and tacked it to his bulletin board, wall, bed post, whatever (yeah, it has tack hole right in the middle of the card, but since it's a 4 in 1, it's still technically on the border, right :) )

Yeah, it's pretty beat up....but it's real, and it's awesome. Instantly one of my favorite cards in my collection.

So let's see pictures and hear the story of your first authentic Ruth card. Are they nice looking investments, beat up "collector grade" like this one, or something in between?

Attachment 372933

RCMcKenzie 11-13-2019 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice going. Here's one in collector grade...

AGuinness 11-13-2019 01:18 PM

Congrats, John! It's a great card!

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-13-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1931063)
Nice going. Here's one in collector grade...

That’s an awesome card in ANY grade!

todeen 11-13-2019 01:26 PM

Congrats! I don't have a card yet, but I have the '34 Butterfinger.

prestigecollectibles 11-13-2019 01:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My father bought this for me in 1980 when I was 13. I think he paid $85.

scooter729 11-13-2019 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Always remember the first - congrats!

This was mine - the $1,900 price tag in 2007 was nearly enough to bankrupt me but I made it work, and am very happy I did!

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-13-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles (Post 1931074)
My father bought this for me in 1980 when I was 13. I think he paid $85.

That's cool that you get to combine your memory of getting your first Ruth card with a memory of your father.

I have good memories of my dad taking me to card shows as a kid (unfortunately for me most of the cards dad bought me were in the 1987 Topps range :) )

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-13-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1931077)
Always remember the first - congrats!

This was mine - the $1,900 price tag in 2007 was nearly enough to bankrupt me but I made it work, and am very happy I did!

That's cool you had the foresight to invest in that card back in 2007...that's a great looking card. $1900 wouldn't come close to that today!

Jcosta19 11-13-2019 02:00 PM

Great pick up and thread!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-13-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 1931072)
Congrats! I don't have a card yet, but I have the '34 Butterfinger.

The Butterfinger was also on my research list too. I like the image they used for that one.

nebboy 11-13-2019 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 1st Ruth

prestigecollectibles 11-13-2019 02:13 PM

Thanks. He got me a Gehrig #92 in similar grade. I remember he paid $165 for the pair. I'll keep these two forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1931080)
That's cool that you get to combine your memory of getting your first Ruth card with a memory of your father.

I have good memories of my dad taking me to card shows as a kid (unfortunately for me most of the cards dad bought me were in the 1987 Topps range :) )

triwak 11-13-2019 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice 4-in-1 card!! My first Ruths were commemorative cards from the 1962 Topps set, of which I have four. But once I got snookered into the career-contemporary game (ha!), this was the Ruth I decided upon. Relatively inexpensive, and I also found the foreign aspect to be really cool.

invest 11-13-2019 02:27 PM

My First Ruth (and only Ruth)

2 Attachment(s)
Cool thread and stories.

I got my first and (still only) Ruth years ago!! I had always wanted one for as long as I could remember but the price was always out of reach. Fast forward into adulthood and I sold my business and had some disposable income.

The price tag was still high (not crazy high like the prices are today, but still expensive for me). I went back and forth on whether to get it, I had pretty much talked myself out of getting the card when my wife stepped in and convinced me to get it. I am glad she did!!!! Its one of my favorite cards in my collection and now my son has grown to appreciate it more then me!!!

When Tim Carroll made a baseball card cut up version, I had to have!!! I wanted to be able to appreciate the card everyday when I see it hanging in my sons room!!!

Troy

ajquigs 11-13-2019 02:32 PM

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=20159

Nice thread.
My one and only. Probably the last card I'd sell, other than my '73 set acquired a pack at a time by my 7 year old self.

GasHouseGang 11-13-2019 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would like one of the Goudey Ruth cards too, but can't justify spending that much money. I never really cared for the strip cards, but I found this one from his playing days and picked it up when ebay was having one of their sales.

BabyRuth 11-13-2019 02:33 PM

First and Last

2 Attachment(s)
#181 was my first Ruth. I picked it up at the card show in Sturbridge, MA in 1988 for $475. I have since added over 100 vintage Ruth cards to my collection. Also, this is the last one I just snagged. Picked this Universal Toy up the other day. Good luck on your Ruth collecting journey!!!

realbigfatdog 11-13-2019 05:43 PM

The only two that I own. The Goudey has a 70% skinned back, but it's a playing days Babe! I got the Leaf about two years ago raw for $200. Even with the hole punches, I thought it was a steal! As a Yankees collector, I treasure these. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d38eab26d5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a01c3a4ec4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

packs 11-13-2019 06:11 PM

I bought this card on eBay about 10 years ago. I was in graduate school and used the first stipend check they paid me for my TA work to buy it. You almost never see the WWG cards come up and I thought I got a pretty good deal for $500:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4fc9b01c_z.jpg

LincolnVT 11-13-2019 06:12 PM

Congrats! Can't go wrong with a Ruth card!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1931062)
Ever since I got in to vintage card collecting a few years ago, I've been wanting to add an authentic Ruth from his playing days. I felt like my card collection wouldn't be complete without at least one card of the Babe. The problem is that my card budget doesn't really allow me to purchase $1000+ baseball cards.

So after researching "bargain Ruth" options (Sanella, Kashin, Fro Joy), I was thrilled to recently find this well loved 1935 Goudey for a reasonable price.

And since my FAVORITE Ruth card is the 1933 Goudey 181 (green Ruth) it's a nice bonus that this card uses the same image.

Maybe someday I'll save up enough for the 1933, but until then, I'm perfectly happy with this one. I mean it's a Goudey gum card of the Babe! No doubt loved by whatever kid pulled it from a pack in 1935 and tacked it to his bulletin board, wall, bed post, whatever (yeah, it has tack hole right in the middle of the card, but since it's a 4 in 1, it's still technically on the border, right :) )

Yeah, it's pretty beat up....but it's real, and it's awesome. Instantly one of my favorite cards in my collection.

So let's see pictures and hear the story of your first authentic Ruth card. Are they nice looking investments, beat up "collector grade" like this one, or something in between?

Attachment 372933

rgpete 11-13-2019 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My one and only Babe Ruth was lucky to pick this one up for $20.00 in the early 1980's

qed2190 11-13-2019 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is one of mine

bnorth 11-13-2019 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is/was my only playing days Ruth.

Wish I still had it, was stupid and donated it and several other cards to a museum before I knew how they worked.:(

EvilKing00 11-13-2019 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats! I love Ruth cards !

Attachment 373001

ruth-gehrig 11-13-2019 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My only Ruth card, his best pose in my opinion:)

qed2190 11-13-2019 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are a few more

glchen 11-13-2019 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great cards here! The Schutter Johnson is the oldest Ruth card that I still have, and the Rittenhouse is my most recent purchase. I really like the Universal Toy that BabyRuth also has. It took me forever to pick up my copy!

dabigyankeeman 11-14-2019 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have many Ruth cards, but this one is so unique it might be my favorite although most of the others are better looking.

t206fanatic 11-14-2019 01:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got into the Ruth game only recently after watching from the sidelines for many years- here's the three I own, the Goudey #144 being my first.

OldOriole 11-14-2019 01:37 PM

D383's

1 Attachment(s)
You don't see to many Koester's....

baseballfan 11-14-2019 02:10 PM

love the Ruths
congrats!!

I would like to get 1 too. I wont my fantasy baseball league this year and thought about getting a Ruth

is it possible for me to pick one up for around $500.00 to 600.00

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-14-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballfan (Post 1931319)
love the Ruths
congrats!!

I would like to get 1 too. I wont my fantasy baseball league this year and thought about getting a Ruth

is it possible for me to pick one up for around $500.00 to 600.00

Hey Fred,

In my research,I found that you can find a few Ruth cards from his playing days for that amount, especially if you are patient and don't care too much about condition. Some of the cards in this thread fall in to that category. Specifically:

1935 Goudey 4 in 1 (that's the card I posted at the top of this thread...it was less than $500)

1932 Sanella Ruth (sharp looking card. From Germany).

1929 Kashin Publications Ruth

1934 R309-1 Goudey Ruth Premium (those occasionally come up in fairly beat up condition in that price range...although they seem to be creeping up in price)

1932 Bulgaria Sport Ruth (European card)

There are likely a few others, but those are the ones I considered when I was looking for my "bargain" Ruth.

JeremyW 11-14-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206fanatic (Post 1931312)
Got into the Ruth game only recently after watching from the sidelines for many years- here's the three I own, the Goudey #144 being my first.

That's not a bad start.

Jstottlemire1 11-14-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triwak (Post 1931094)
Nice 4-in-1 card!! My first Ruths were commemorative cards from the 1962 Topps set, of which I have four. But once I got snookered into the career-contemporary game (ha!), this was the Ruth I decided upon. Relatively inexpensive, and I also found the foreign aspect to be really cool.

Same as mine sir. Mines a psa 4. Nice affordable playing years card.

BabyRuth 11-14-2019 04:57 PM

I always buy Babe Ruth cards......He's not going to have a bad year!!!

yanksfan09 11-14-2019 06:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a w515 strip Ruth but didn't like the image, then shortly after got what I thought was my first "real" ruth card... a 21 exhibit. However it was hammered to oblivion. But I still loved it. Sold off the original beat up exhibit and I think the same day I lucked out and bought a 1923 white border exhibit in a 1921 slab (since been re-holdered) for cheap. R-L Borders trimmed off but a real rarity nonetheless!

Also eventually upgraded my regular 1921 as well!

ullmandds 11-14-2019 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first Ruth I purchased...off the BST many years ago...since then I've owned numerous ruth cards...almost 30 period ruths reside in my current collection.

Collectorsince62 11-14-2019 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My three of #3. The one in the middle was purchased back in the late 70's. I used to run an ad in a local paper. This was before price guides (aka the golden days of collecting). A woman called and said she was participating in an antiques sidewalk sale the next Saturday and had a Babe Ruth card for sale. If I arrived before the sale opened I could buy the card. I got there early, introduced myself, she hands me the card and says "let's start the haggling at $15." Needless to say there was no haggling necessary. I paid for the card, thanked her for calling, and went home. I probably should have stayed and looked around but I thought I'd better just leave and appreciate my good fortune. The other two cards were part of collections also purchased from responses to ads years ago. Man I miss those days.

Leon 11-15-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 1931397)
My three of #3. The one in the middle was purchased back in the late 70's. I used to run an ad in a local paper. This was before price guides (aka the golden days of collecting). A woman called and said she was participating in an antiques sidewalk sale the next Saturday and had a Babe Ruth card for sale. If I arrived before the sale opened I could buy the card. I got there early, introduced myself, she hands me the card and says "let's start the haggling at $15." Needless to say there was no haggling necessary. I paid for the card, thanked her for calling, and went home. I probably should have stayed and looked around but I thought I'd better just leave and appreciate my good fortune. The other two cards were part of collections also purchased from responses to ads years ago. Man I miss those days.

Great story!
I don't remember my first Ruth but here is one I got back from my first collection sale.
http://luckeycards.com/pr321goudeyruth.jpg

baseballfan 11-15-2019 06:43 AM

thank you for your info and help

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire (Post 1931342)
Hey Fred,

In my research,I found that you can find a few Ruth cards from his playing days for that amount, especially if you are patient and don't care too much about condition. Some of the cards in this thread fall in to that category. Specifically:

1935 Goudey 4 in 1 (that's the card I posted at the top of this thread...it was less than $500)

1932 Sanella Ruth (sharp looking card. From Germany).

1929 Kashin Publications Ruth

1934 R309-1 Goudey Ruth Premium (those occasionally come up in fairly beat up condition in that price range...although they seem to be creeping up in price)

1932 Bulgaria Sport Ruth (European card)

There are likely a few others, but those are the ones I considered when I was looking for my "bargain" Ruth.

packs 11-15-2019 07:28 AM

Kashin is definitely a good bargain Ruth and the image on it is great. I don't know why the card is still on the cheap side but it's a nice one for the money.

kkkkandp 11-15-2019 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The not as mainstream or as popular Fro Joy...

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-15-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invest (Post 1931095)
Cool thread and stories.

I got my first and (still only) Ruth years ago!! I had always wanted one for as long as I could remember but the price was always out of reach. Fast forward into adulthood and I sold my business and had some disposable income.

The price tag was still high (not crazy high like the prices are today, but still expensive for me). I went back and forth on whether to get it, I had pretty much talked myself out of getting the card when my wife stepped in and convinced me to get it. I am glad she did!!!! Its one of my favorite cards in my collection and now my son has grown to appreciate it more then me!!!

When Tim Carroll made a baseball card cut up version, I had to have!!! I wanted to be able to appreciate the card everyday when I see it hanging in my sons room!!!

Troy

Wow Troy! I'm not sure what's more impressive...that you have an M101 Sporting News Ruth....or that you have a wife that encouraged you but it! :)

That is a true showpiece card/investment. And I love that you have the Tim Carroll art to display.

I'm not sure anyone can top your "first Ruth" in terms of quality! An amazing card!

thatkidfromjerrymaguire 11-15-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1931453)
Kashin is definitely a good bargain Ruth and the image on it is great. I don't know why the card is still on the cheap side but it's a nice one for the money.

I agree that the Kashin seems to be a value. I wonder if it is partly related to it's availability? By no means do they seem common, but I know that set was released in four separate series of cards, but each series contained a Ruth. So I guess if we do the math, there should be four times as many Ruth cards from that set as any other card?

GasHouseGang 11-15-2019 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up this oddball Ruth which is part of a Keystone viewer set. The set promotes improving your eyesight and has a viewer and card set. I'm not sure exactly when it was produced, but I got it cheap.

pete zouras 11-15-2019 11:36 AM

Headin Home

1 Attachment(s)
Card

yanksfan09 11-15-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete zouras (Post 1931524)
Card

That's a beast for a first Ruth!

Big Red Machine 11-15-2019 03:43 PM

My first and only Ruth.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/image...bits-babe-ruth

Case12 11-15-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invest (Post 1931095)
Cool thread and stories.

Troy

Gosh, your wife has a great eye :-)

My wife's view of card value is if they can be used as coasters...

This one is awesome...