Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hot Wheels cars (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=278873)

LuckyLarry 02-02-2020 07:15 AM

Hot Wheels cars

I know nothing about Hot Wheels cars.

At yesterdays card show a dealer set up with mostly hot wheels cars. My grandson is really into these, especially cars that are still new in the box. He has a store set up in his bedroom and sells cars to neighborhood kids hilarious!

Anyway dealer had several new cars still in the packaging marked $1 to $3 (I do know that new cars are available at Wal Mart for .94c each) He seemed anxious to make some sales so he encouraged me to make an offer on these unopened cars and I offer to by all he had at 25c each which he accepts. So I load up 35 to restock my grandsons store lol.

His wife seemed even more anxious than him to get rid of some of his other stuff, so, my "make a few bucks" mentality kicks in and I buy all his other loose cars along with the cases they were in. There are about 200 cars here and I paid $60 for them all.

I haven't really looked at them closely yet. Some are from the 1970s many from the 1980s. Not sure but the cases themselves might have some value.

I plan on selling them on eBay to recoup my expenses (I hope). How do sellers ship these cars wrapped in bubble wrap and inserted in a bubble envelope? What else should I look for in these cars? I imagine all the rare or expensive cars have been removed?

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=27860

Hxcmilkshake 02-02-2020 07:30 AM

Decent ones in bubble wrap and small box. Fillers go in a flat rate and they will have to be cheap in order to move them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mikemb 02-03-2020 07:24 AM

I never mail cars in a bubble envelope. Way to risky. You may want to sell some in small lots of 5 or so so postage is not as high per car. Group cars that are similar (volkswagens, mustangs, trucks, etc) to see if they sell. Good luck!

Mike

bnorth 02-03-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemb (Post 1952393)
I never mail cars in a bubble envelope. Way to risky. You may want to sell some in small lots of 5 or so so postage is not as high per car. Group cars that are similar (volkswagens, mustangs, trucks, etc) to see if they sell. Good luck!

Mike

^^great suggestion^^ I have sold a few small lots and sent them in 300 or 400 count BCW boxes.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-04-2020 05:55 PM

Look for red lines, if they're older you may actually have a little value. Otherwise it's not going to be an easy row to hoe to get to profit paying 30¢ apiece for loose cars.

tschock 02-06-2020 05:25 AM

Just some thoughts...

Red lines, as above, definitely. The "red lines" are on the wheels. Also there are some that came in different colors (think card variations) where the common color(s) are dirt cheap but the rare ones can go for big bucks. If you haven't already done so, make sure they are all hot wheels and not some other brand mixed in. If so, separate them (though some 'off' brands are worth money too).

To sell them, I would put them in lots of 5 or 6 cards (as mentioned), maybe similar style vehicles and put them on ebay as an auction with some good pics. Especially if you don't want to spend too much time digging up information. The auction style should get you close on a reasonable value for them.

Donate what doesn't sell to your grandson's store where he can put the used ones in the 2 for a $1 bin. :)

jiw98 02-06-2020 02:23 PM

Redlines are from 1968-77. First ten years of production. As stated in the previous post there are a lot of color variations. The color will be a factor in the value on different models. Blue color on one model may be worth more than blue on another. (The year of Hot Wheel, model, and color.)
Mattel did come out with Redlines in recent years, these are not the same as the cars from 1968-77.