Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Negro League Autograph Help (Frank Duncan) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281526)

Topnotchsy 04-11-2020 08:13 PM

Negro League Autograph Help (Frank Duncan)

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

I'm hoping this is pretty straight forward, but wanted to check what people thought.

The manager for the 1946 Paige All-Star Tour was KC Monarchs manager Frank Duncan, who had previously been a catcher for around 20 years. I am pretty certain this signature is his, but wanted to confirm.

The only comp I have is from Kevin Keating's book on the Negro League's and it seems pretty close (despite Keating's example being from 20+ years earlier.)

Edit: It seems like I've got confirmation on the signature (though additional opinions welcome). Given the scarcity, but at the same time the fact that he's not a HOF or someone really considered for the Hall, is it a signature with much value?

BillyCoxDodgers3B 04-11-2020 09:13 PM

Those D's are identical. Wow. So much of the signature is nearly a carbon copy to the examples in the book.

Topnotchsy 04-11-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 1970217)
Those D's are identical. Wow. So much of the signature is nearly a carbon copy to the examples in the book.

I thought so too. The "c"s are another example.

I haven't seen another copy of his signature and they ignored it on the LOA (don't think they recognized who he was or the significance) so want to make sure.

Klrdds 04-11-2020 09:35 PM

There is no doubt the Duncan is authentic .
The sheet is fabulous with great names and clean signatures and in great condition .

BillyCoxDodgers3B 04-11-2020 10:42 PM

In the early days of the internet, I happened to bump into H. Thompson's daughter, who was then only in her 30s. A very nice woman who was kind to fill me in on her Dad's final years. He had a rough go of life after the limelight but was trying to atone for his past. Unfortunately, he didn't have much of a chance to see things through, as a massive heart seizure felled him.

Topnotchsy 04-11-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klrdds (Post 1970222)
There is no doubt the Duncan is authentic .
The sheet is fabulous with great names and clean signatures and in great condition .

Thank you!

Built a small collection around this tour (have 4 different kinds of programs from the games, including one program from towards the end of tour with Jackie Robinson in the lineup after the teams started evolving and changing.)

Was excited to come across this before noticing the Duncan autograph. I couldn't find another comp, so know it's fairly rare, though don't know whether he's a big enough name to add significant value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 1970230)
In the early days of the internet, I happened to bump into H. Thompson's daughter, who was then only in her 30s. A very nice woman who was kind to fill me in on her Dad's final years. He had a rough go of life after the limelight but was trying to atone for his past. Unfortunately, he didn't have much of a chance to see things through, as a massive heart seizure felled him.

It does seem like he had turned his life around. Sad story.

Duluth Eskimo 04-12-2020 05:26 PM

Comparing it to Kevin’s example it’s right on the money. He says that example is from a notorized item.

Topnotchsy 04-12-2020 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1970529)
Comparing it to Kevin’s example it’s right on the money. He says that example is from a notorized item.

Thanks!