Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Lou Gehrig Autograph Opinions Please (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=282795)

fuzzybub 05-07-2020 07:11 AM

Lou Gehrig Autograph Opinions Please

1 Attachment(s)
Looking for opinions on this Lou Gehrig.

Thank you!

mainemule 05-07-2020 08:44 AM

Don't like the COA or the seller's "attitude." Not a Gehrig expert at all but I would not touch this......

earlywynnfan 05-07-2020 09:23 AM

OK, who is the seller??

(not versed enough on Lou to give an opinion.)

Klrdds 05-07-2020 04:25 PM

FWIW comparing it to my Lou Gehrig I'm not a fan of this one . But others with more Gehrig experience may feel differently.

JRS123490 05-07-2020 04:46 PM

Agreed on others regarding the seller. Aside from selling a questionable item (IMO I'm not convinced that this is even live ink, and there's a very high likelihood that it's nothing more than a laser printed signature,) he/she seems like a jerk and a total moron. In fact, I saw this listing myself before reading this post and I scratched my head. A few things on this one.

1. The seller is clearly aware that there are other authentication companies out there, and that this is a garbage cert based on his listing description. I know a cert is just a cert, "buy the autograph, not the cert etc...", but this is a 4k-5k plus piece. If you were going to sell a huge ticket item like a Gehrig, why would you submit it to "In Person Authentics?" Which by the way, I, and I'm sure everyone else, has seen nothing but trash from.............Unless of course, you know they'll pass anything and you'll be able to pawn it off on someone that just sees a COA and doesn't know any better (like 98% of eBay buyers.)

2. Any reputable seller should and would offer a guaranteed return if the item was deemed not authentic by any reputable TPA.

3. I know we all have opinions on TPA, but whether we like it or not, JSA/Beckett/PSA are the standard people look for. This seller is a dirtbag, and clearly knows that there is a definite issue with this one. Otherwise it would be authenticated by a more reputable TPA or seller like Rich, Stinson etc...or they would offer a money back guarantee if failed regardless of the authenticator.

Again, I am not a big fan of TPA, but unfortunately, this is the accepted standard in this crazy industry.

Avoid, sorry!

fuzzybub 05-07-2020 05:25 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I just wanted to throw it out there. The COA doesn't spell Gehrig correctly either. I let the seller know this. Didn't seem really concerned...they have at least one bid and are probably pleased with that fact

fuzzybub 05-07-2020 05:42 PM

I am seriously looking for a decent Gehrig cut if anyone knows of one out there.

Klrdds 05-07-2020 07:27 PM

If you are wanting an entry level Gehrig autograph I’d go for a postmarked signed GPC . They are usually beautiful ink signatures with a nice inscription and you can sometimes check where Gehrig was by the postmark which can lend some peace of mind as to authenticity plus you’ll get extra writing of his on it because he usually addressed it also .
I didn’t need to check the seller . This photo of the item spoke volumes .

robbieg 05-07-2020 07:54 PM

Where is this for sale?

mainemule 05-07-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbieg (Post 1978547)
Where is this for sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lou-Gehrig-...EAAOSwrHNeqLRG

mrmopar 05-07-2020 09:09 PM

According to the COA, there should be a tamper proof holographic sticker matching the letter on the item itself. That appears to be missing. I know this means little to nothing, but just another oddity for this one.

tha-rock 05-07-2020 10:17 PM

I think it shows some characteristics of a rubber stamp.
The COA is worthless.
Poster above said it- it is a several thousand dollar item if authentic- why wouldn't the seller get a legit TPA to certify it? Probably the seller knows better than submit it to them.
I wouldn't buy this.

tazdmb 05-08-2020 07:43 AM

I am going to go with laser copy-for sure not live ink.

Jim65 05-08-2020 09:05 AM

I always laugh when sellers say no returns. Wanna bet? :D

chalupacollects 05-08-2020 09:12 AM

That all said, what do you think of the Mathewson auto he has for sale???

The paper for the Gehrig is way to white for a 80+ year old auto....

Klrdds 05-08-2020 10:17 AM

Finally checked his site. The Tommy Connolly autographed baseball is a joke . Looks like a C C special .
The Mathewson is what should I say ..."suspect" at best . At least the letterhead is the correct city he played in .

JRS123490 05-08-2020 01:48 PM

That Connolly is hilarious. Definitely looks like a Roaches Corner special. The Berra HOF Plaque is also brutal. If that's any indication of the sellers forging ability, I would definitely have to go with my initial gut that the Gehrig is laser printed. Hazarding a guess that the Mathewson is the same as well. The MAT portion looks like a giveaway to me that it isn't live ink/pencil in that case.