Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1967 Topps Pin Ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=287667)

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-18-2020 02:20 PM

1967 Topps Pin Ups

Learn something new every day. I always assumed they were inserts. Just had a 1967 Topps Pin Up Display Box consigned. No packs but a ton of high end loose posters.

Question is were they inserts also?

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-18-2020 02:24 PM

Or did I assume badly. The cards aren't mentioned on the box, but it could be saying that the All Star Pin Up is the "Extra in Every Package" and it's actually "just" a 1967 Wax Box. But funny it doesn't mention anything about cards.

Anyone have the knowledge to drop?

Jcfowler6 08-18-2020 02:26 PM

Would be cool to see a picture or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-18-2020 02:28 PM

As soon as I get them done.

Looks like it is a wax box there are a few versions, all the same top image (a Mantle-esque batter) but at least two different sides and bottoms. One generic and one with the Pin Ups and the Bazooka Gift Catalog.

ALR-bishop 08-18-2020 02:48 PM

Standard Catalog says inserts and I have a pack and wrapper that mention them. Not sure if some were marketed direct. I think Howard here has the unique Clemente discussed in the SCD Catalog

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

toppcat 08-18-2020 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2009676)
Or did I assume badly. The cards aren't mentioned on the box, but it could be saying that the All Star Pin Up is the "Extra in Every Package" and it's actually "just" a 1967 Wax Box. But funny it doesn't mention anything about cards.

Anyone have the knowledge to drop?

There are player poster packs from 1968, an indeterminate interim year reissuing them and 1972. What's the full product code on the box?

toppcat 08-18-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2009689)
Standard Catalog says inserts and I have a pack and wrapper that mention them. Not sure if some were marketed direct. I think Howard here has the unique Clemente discussed in the SCD Catalog

I've come to the conclusion that big Clemente sticker poster is a mockup used internally at Topps. It may have been part of the development of the Wide World of Sports sticker set at some point, or a determination on marketing something that looked like the 67 posters as stickers or even the big player posters from '68. Those mockups and set ideas often changed dramatically over time.

quitcrab 08-18-2020 04:22 PM

I think Howard’s Clemente sticker “ pin up” also was a Topps mock up. I feel that the 68 Topps action all star stickers came from the idea of Howard’s Clemente.
I think the 67 pin ups were only inserted in packs ... maybe series 4 through 7

hcv123 08-18-2020 04:57 PM

A question

Why/how would they make only a single "mock up"? Are there other different/similar mock ups known? Interesting to contemplate whether my sticker was done before or after the actual paper pin ups. The stock is similar/the same as the 67 Pirate and Red Sox stickers as well as the 68 Action All Star stickers. Likely a mystery that at best will only have speculation and no confirmable solution.

toppcat 08-18-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2009727)
Why/how would they make only a single "mock up"? Are there other different/similar mock ups known? Interesting to contemplate whether my sticker was done before or after the actual paper pin ups. The stock is similar/the same as the 67 Pirate and Red Sox stickers as well as the 68 Action All Star stickers. Likely a mystery that at best will only have speculation and no confirmable solution.

They might have made more than one but you likely have the sole survivor and a great one at that given the subject. Topps did all sorts of mock ups like that; I have multiple examples on my blog and even own two NS ones. I just re-found an old Jay Lynch interview that said only 1 in 10 proposed projects ever got off the ground to the test/retail stage at Topps. The tying to the 1968 Action All Stars is pretty sound reasoning I'd say; not definite but solid.

quitcrab 08-18-2020 05:21 PM

Howard’s piece is definitely one of a kind. A great piece ! I think once it was made they went in two directions... pin ups on newsprint and stickers. 67 Giants, Red Sox and Pirates and 68 action stickers. I find the pin ups undervalued. They are so hard to find centered and with no rips and pinholes. Fragile !!!

ALR-bishop 08-18-2020 06:46 PM

At least the 67s are easy to display. I had to get large artist portfolio binders for the 68 Action Stickers, the 69 Team Posters and some of the other pin ups

quitcrab 08-18-2020 07:02 PM

I cut down big top loaders On a mat cutter or a paper cutter ( I teach art) to hold my action stickers. I usually get two from each top loader. Works out great. I do the same for 64 Bazooka stamps . I like putting the 67 pin ups on a piece of black construction paper 8 1/2 by 11 and put them in those plastic pageS used for binders. They look sharp on the black background. I don’t like the pin ups in the ultra pro 5x7 two to a sheet pages.

ALR-bishop 08-18-2020 07:13 PM

The artist portfolio binders have black paper backing for each page pocket and it does help the items stand out

Fleerfan 08-24-2020 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the 1967 Box with the Pin-ups listed as an insert on the side of the box.