Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I need some guidance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320176)

Dwalt 05-25-2022 03:34 PM

I need some guidance

I have just joined this site and have no previous experience with using it. I have quite a large number of early (1909-11) baseball cards (and some non-baseball sports cards and related items) that came from my father-in-law which I plan to sell off from time to time in the buy-sell-trade area. I assume that if I list something for sale at a price I set, someone else will say "I'll take it" at which point I contact the prospective buyer to arrange payment and shipping. Could someone explain how the system works here so I do it correctly? I also see that there is also an auction feature that I might use, so an explanation of its workings would also be appreciated. PM response is OK.

Snapolit1 05-25-2022 04:33 PM

That’s about it. After a deal is struck tell buyer how you want to be paid. Many people use pay pal. And ask for shipping address. After you are paid wrap it up and ship. Typically I will send buyer shipping number so they can track it.

If you dont have a lot of info on value, consider consigning some of it to an auction house. They will do all the work and will market it for you.

Peter_Spaeth 05-25-2022 04:57 PM

Depending on what cards you have and condition it may be wise to get some professionally graded. Tough for us to advise you without more specifics.

Casey2296 05-25-2022 05:06 PM

Welcome Dwalt,

You won't find a greater group of guys than here. Sounds like you have the particulars of BST down, when I started posting there I put out a couple of small items just to get used to the process. As a buyer I always appreciate the inclusion of "I'll take it supersedes negotiations", once I commit to buying I will always PM the seller to get their PayPal info and give them my address.

Good luck,
Phil

x2drich2000 05-25-2022 05:23 PM

The only thing I would add is to over communicate. How much is shipping? When will you ship? How do you want to be paid? If a large amount, what about insurance? Is it included? Once shipped, provide the buyer with the tracking number. Generally the few issues on the BST board occur when communication isn't clear.

Dwalt 05-25-2022 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2228165)
Welcome Dwalt,

You won't find a greater group of guys than here. Sounds like you have the particulars of BST down, when I started posting there I put out a couple of small items just to get used to the process. As a buyer I always appreciate the inclusion of "I'll take it supersedes negotiations", once I commit to buying I will always PM the seller to get their PayPal info and give them my address.

Good luck,
Phil

That was what I had planned to do - list a few at first to see how it works. I also have a great team signed baseball from the 1949 St Louis Cardinals. Genuine, as my cousin Del Rice was on the team (catcher) and gave it to me. I might list it assuming that selling such items here is OK. I don't do PayPal so I suppose PO money orders or personal checks would be satisfactory. Regarding grading, I think most cards I have (around 250 of them) would grade as being in the PSA 1 to 3 range, so I don't know if it is worth the hassle and expense.

joshleon 05-25-2022 05:59 PM

I advise strongly getting some guidance on value before you start posting anything.

mrreality68 05-26-2022 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshleon (Post 2228179)
I advise strongly getting some guidance on value before you start posting anything.

+1 Agreed and welcome aboard.

would also love to see some pictures of some of your key pieces or players

rjackson44 05-26-2022 07:24 AM

pictures??

Vintagedeputy 05-28-2022 05:18 AM

You may want to have someone knowledgeable sit down in person to evaluate them.

philliesfan 05-28-2022 06:48 AM

Where are you from? Maybe someone here will volunteer to meet you somewhere to help you evaluate your cards.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 05-28-2022 07:16 AM

I'll take'em...........(KIDDING)

Welcome aboard, I can certainly vouch for the guys over in the live auctions area, great group!

Best pieces of advice I can give is read the help section on here to start with (archives):

https://www.net54baseball.com/forum/...ivecenter.html

Also, this site and everyone involved really is something special, diamond in the rough these days for sure in terms of friendliness and information/knowledge!!!!

Jcosta19 05-28-2022 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwalt (Post 2228171)
That was what I had planned to do - list a few at first to see how it works. I also have a great team signed baseball from the 1949 St Louis Cardinals. Genuine, as my cousin Del Rice was on the team (catcher) and gave it to me. I might list it assuming that selling such items here is OK. I don't do PayPal so I suppose PO money orders or personal checks would be satisfactory. Regarding grading, I think most cards I have (around 250 of them) would grade as being in the PSA 1 to 3 range, so I don't know if it is worth the hassle and expense.

I would highly recommend setting up a PayPal which is free and easy.

Very few people here are going to send checks or MOs to someone brand new who has no track record or history/references on the board. Especially with an increase of scammers lately.

Paypal offers buyer and seller protection which is why most of us use it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Luke 05-28-2022 11:05 AM

Yeah, you'll definitely want to set up a Paypal account. I think you'll have trouble getting people to send you any significant amount of money via MO or check without a well established reputation.

Tyruscobb 05-28-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwalt (Post 2228149)
I have quite a large number of early (1909-11) baseball cards…I also see that there is also an auction feature that I might use…

It sounds like you have several T-206 cards. They always have demand - Hall of Famers, semi-stars, and even common players in great shape or commons in poor shape if the card has a rare back.

Leon L., our fearless leader, allows front page auctions. You may consider contacting him and discussing what you have to see if you can create a front page auction lot or two. This would allow you to sell several cards at once, which reduces time, shipping, etc.

It would also save you from meticulously researching each card’s potential value and setting a price. The auction market would tell you the price. From my observations, the front page auction hammer prices are fair for both parties.

Just a thought. Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

Jewish-collector 05-28-2022 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would take your cards to a show and meet with a reputable auction house, not to consign necessarily, but just for them to give you advice on the value of your cards, which ones to get graded, etc,... Attachment 518614

Leon 05-30-2022 02:02 PM

Just research some and you should be fine. There are good suggestions in this thread. Good luck!