Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heritage auctions strikes again (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=322471)

sflayank 07-21-2022 12:43 PM

Heritage auctions strikes again

I'd love to see their explanation how the high bid on certain items has gone down on auction day

mrreality68 07-21-2022 12:56 PM

Hi

I have not seen it. just curios which items?

also what are HA rules if any for retracting a bid

whiteymet 07-21-2022 01:09 PM

Larry:

If you are referencing the Mantle Dice card I believe a few days ago the reserve was listed since the bids did not get to that level. Then after it sat for a day or so they lowered the reserve to try to entice bidders.

Come on! Did deep into your pockets! :)

Leon 07-21-2022 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2244641)
Larry:

If you are referencing the Mantle Dice card I believe a few days ago the reserve was listed since the bids did not get to that level. Then after it sat for a day or so they lowered the reserve to try to entice bidders.

That could blow the whole conspiracy theory.

marzoumanian 07-21-2022 01:16 PM

What Am I Missing?

Why wasn't the reserve made clear from the get go? Thanks.

sflayank 07-21-2022 01:28 PM

so they bid on it themselves?
and retracted their own bid?
reserve still not met?
doesnt say what reserve is
not to mention the fact...card was a psa 1...allegedly purchased by "sgc"
cracked out of the psa holder...put in an sgc 1.5...put on display at the national to advertise themselves
and in order to resell "sgc" cracked it out of their own holder and put it back in a psa holder...last year and sold it for 310k + bp
WOW

Exhibitman 07-21-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2244653)
card was a psa 1...allegedly purchased by "sgc"
cracked out of the psa holder...put in an sgc 1.5...put on display at the national to advertise themselves
and in order to resell "sgc" cracked it out of their own holder and put it back in a psa holder...
WOW

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...marr%20WTF.gif

mrreality68 07-21-2022 01:42 PM

maybe Leon can bid on behalf of the forum and then can sell fractional shares of it

ALR-bishop 07-21-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteymet (Post 2244641)
Larry:

Larry has already been there and did that

whiteymet 07-21-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

reserve still not met?
and in order to resell "sgc" cracked it out of their own holder and put it back in a psa holder...
WOW

Larry and Mark:

Heritage did say from the beginning on the Mantle Dice card listing as well as others that the reserve would post on a certain date. I forget the exact date but it was in the last few days. That's when it jumped to $300K. Then after a day or two I assume the consignor agreed to lower the reserve to $280K to try to drum up some interest.

There is an * after the $280K and underneath it says reserve not met. If you go to the bottom of the page you will see where it says * = *Reserve Not Met. A reserve has been posted on this lot, but no bids have met the reserve. The next bid will meet the reserve.

Remember going by Heritage's rules everyone agrees to in order to bid, they can do anything they want including bidding on their own items!!

sflayank 07-21-2022 01:56 PM

So stupid

Lowered to 300...reserve
So there's a fake 280 bid in there
Why not just start it at 300..if thats what consignor wants and avoid all the bs

whiteymet 07-21-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2244669)
Lowered to 300...reserve
So there's a fake 280 bid in there
Why not just start it at 300..if thats what consignor wants and avoid all the bs

Agreed on starting it at the reserve but the AH's want to create demand by starting low and getting guys to bid.

I don't believe there was a bid higher than $300K before the reserve was posted or it would not have been posted, so don't understand when you say the bid was lowered to $300K.

I believe as I said, the reserve is $300K as indicated by them saying the next bid will meet the reserve.So when they first posted the reserve it was $300K. Then the reserve was lowered to $280K Don't think there is a fake $280K bid, just a lowered reserve

sflayank 07-21-2022 02:13 PM

Reserve is 300
280... reserve is not met
If someone bids 300 now reserve will be met

bobbyw8469 07-21-2022 02:17 PM

Maybe Heritage can bid on and pay for the card??? The consignor will be happy!

bnorth 07-21-2022 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=sflayank;2244653]so they bid on it themselves?
reserve still not met?
WOW[
/QUOTE]

That is funny. It is amazing how many cards have been in several different slabs.

I had a Joe DiMaggio that was in 3 PSA and 2 SGC slabs that I know of. Oldest I could find was a PSA slab with the dreaded MC qualifier. Buyer got it cheap and cracked and sebmitted to SGC. Sold in SGC slab to a flipper who cracked and sent to PSA. It got the dreaded MC again and he lost serious cash. I bought it in the PSA slab and cracked it and sent it to SGC and made some good cash off it. I know that buyer told me he was going to crack and send to PSA. LOL

Peter_Spaeth 07-21-2022 02:36 PM

Quote:

reserve still not met?
WOW

Oh the games people play, now
Every night and every day, now

--Joe South

Carter08 07-21-2022 02:40 PM

Just curious - why is this card so expensive? I get that it’s rare and it’s Mick, and maybe that’s the end of the analysis.

Peter_Spaeth 07-21-2022 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carter08 (Post 2244690)
Just curious - why is this card so expensive? I get that it’s rare and it’s Mick, and maybe that’s the end of the analysis.

To make up a Yogi ism, it's expensive because people will pay a lot for it.

Lorewalker 07-21-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

reserve still not met?

WOW

If this is true maybe THIS is why we have not heard from lead cheerleader Peter, at SGC, as to their status for the National. Maybe waiting to see if their card sells so they can cover the set up costs?

perezfan 07-21-2022 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=bnorth;2244686]
Quote:

reserve still not met?
WOW[
/QUOTE]

That is funny. It is amazing how many cards have been in several different slabs.

I had a Joe DiMaggio that was in 3 PSA and 2 SGC slabs that I know of. Oldest I could find was a PSA slab with the dreaded MC qualifier. Buyer got it cheap and cracked and sebmitted to SGC. Sold in SGC slab to a flipper who cracked and sent to PSA. It got the dreaded MC again and he lost serious cash. I bought it in the PSA slab and cracked it and sent it to SGC and made some good cash off it. I know that buyer told me he was going to crack and send to PSA. LOL

This kind of nonsense makes me glad I collected cards in the pre-slab era. This, and many other self-serving factors. Sheesh!

sflayank 07-21-2022 04:33 PM

correction
sgc bought the card for 144k in 2018...then switched holders back and forth and sold it for 372k last year in heritage
the new owner...trying to get his money back

oldjudge 07-21-2022 05:22 PM

How do you know SGC bought the card? Also, are you saying the entity SGC bought it, or someone at SGC, or something else entirely?

sflayank 07-21-2022 06:23 PM

Let's see...a private collector spends 144k on the rarest card and out of the goodness of his heart
Gives it to sgc and has them reholder it in an sgc holder, so they can display and claim it as their own, to the world in their new holder, and after crack it back out, pay their competitor to reholder it, and then give it back to the real owner.....hmmmm

oldjudge 07-21-2022 06:50 PM

So, to cut through the hyperbole, you have no facts and are just speculating. If that's the case state it as such.

sflayank 07-21-2022 06:51 PM

No speculation
Fact 100% certainty

jayshum 07-21-2022 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marzoumanian (Post 2244645)
Why wasn't the reserve made clear from the get go? Thanks.

I think Heritage usually indicates on their listings that a reserve, if any, will be posted 3 days before the end of the listing.

Casey2296 07-21-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2244787)
I think Heritage usually indicates on their listings that a reserve, if any, will be posted 3 days before the end of the listing.

100% they do

mrreality68 07-22-2022 05:43 AM

well it got more than the reserve so either the strategy worked or someone was just waiting till late in the auction to bid trying to keep their cost down.

Regardless amazing card and I hope Leon got the card

Leon 07-22-2022 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2244837)
well it got more than the reserve so either the strategy worked or someone was just waiting till late in the auction to bid trying to keep their cost down.

Regardless amazing card and I hope Leon got the card

I couldn't afford the first 3 digits of the price. Congrats to all involved in the sale...

Johnny630 07-22-2022 06:40 AM

Can’t Heritage Bid on their own Items? I think that’s part of their rules.

sflayank 07-22-2022 06:52 AM

Yes..they can bid, retract bids, cancel bids change the reserve do whatever they want anytime they want right upto closing...and even after...im waiting for them to charge a fee to bid....thats next..wait and see

Johnny630 07-22-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2244850)
Yes..they can bid, retract bids, cancel bids change the reserve do whatever they want anytime they want right upto closing...and even after...im waiting for them to charge a fee to bid....thats next..wait and see

It wouldn't surprise me. Again nobody has to bid with them, it’s a choice. For those who think their rules aren’t exactly fair It may be best for them not to participate in their auctions.