Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Insane Babe Ruth card on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=324289)

NiceDocter 08-31-2022 01:35 PM

Insane Babe Ruth card on Ebay

I don’t consider this “outing” an auction when there have been over 90 bids and it’s up to $15,000!! But what the heck is it? And those other cards in what looks like a Velveeta Cheese box….. is this legit??? Could go either way but that card looks real to me whatever it is……. trying to post a link but I’m having trouble…. it’s a bright red Ruth on EBay….. maybe someone else could post the photo or link? Very interesting….

BabyRuth 08-31-2022 01:37 PM

It's a 1933 Uncle Jack's Candy Ruth

jingram058 08-31-2022 01:39 PM

Is there a link to this?

bigjaco 08-31-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2258987)
Is there a link to this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225134262952

jingram058 08-31-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjaco (Post 2258991)

Thanks!

Leon 08-31-2022 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2258984)
I don’t consider this “outing” an auction when there have been over 90 bids and it’s up to $15,000!! But what the heck is it? And those other cards in what looks like a Velveeta Cheese box….. is this legit??? Could go either way but that card looks real to me whatever it is……. trying to post a link but I’m having trouble…. it’s a bright red Ruth on EBay….. maybe someone else could post the photo or link? Very interesting….

Ask people bidding on it if they think it's outing it? :)

Aaron Seefeldt 08-31-2022 02:11 PM

o u t i n g !

darwinbulldog 08-31-2022 02:25 PM

Yeah, it appears so. Price jumped about 50% in the hour after it was posted here. Too rich for my blood, but I wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

mrreality68 08-31-2022 02:27 PM

That is eBay for you.

But that series of cards is a great set as for its authenticity I am a bad judge of that

glchen 08-31-2022 02:39 PM

Yep, I had a snipe on this auction, and I consider this thread outing also. I doubt that I would have won the auction anyway even if it weren't outed.

I think this auction is a case where the ebay authenticity guarantee really helps. Folks are more comfortable bidding on it knowing that a TPG will evaluate the card. Saying that, to me, the card looks genuine, and would probably grade around a 2 or so. If you look at the other cards in that box, there's another Uncle Jack's card there, and a common one. For scammers, virtually every card they sell would be some top HOFer, so the fact they have commons from the same set is a positive sign. The cardstock also looks good, and what you would expect for this set.

Republicaninmass 08-31-2022 02:55 PM

Just email him and ask to end early. That's what a real dirt bag would do!

Leon 08-31-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 2259014)
Yep, I had a snipe on this auction, and I consider this thread outing also. I doubt that I would have won the auction anyway even if it weren't outed.

I think this auction is a case where the ebay authenticity guarantee really helps. Folks are more comfortable bidding on it knowing that a TPG will evaluate the card. Saying that, to me, the card looks genuine, and would probably grade around a 2 or so. If you look at the other cards in that box, there's another Uncle Jack's card there, and a common one. For scammers, virtually every card they sell would be some top HOFer, so the fact they have commons from the same set is a positive sign. The cardstock also looks good, and what you would expect for this set.

Scammers don't have 47,770 perfect feedback either.

brianp-beme 08-31-2022 02:59 PM

The Ruth definitely appears authentic to me, as well as the rest of the slew of 30's cards in the box seen in one of the listing photos.

Inquiring minds would like to know what is appropriate to take on a Ruth Outing? Are plastic utensils ok, or is actual silverware required to meet NAVROA (North American Vintage Ruth Outing Association) guidelines?

Brian

mrreality68 08-31-2022 03:02 PM

It will be interesting to see what the card sell for. It is a Nice looking piece

Leon 08-31-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2259028)
The Ruth definitely appears authentic to me, as well as the rest of the slew of 30's cards in the box seen in one of the listing photos.

Inquiring minds would like to know what is appropriate to take on a Ruth Outing? Are plastic utensils ok, or is actual silverware required to meet NAVROA (North American Vintage Ruth Outing Association) guidelines?

Brian

Only fine china, and real silverware, for this outing.

111gecko 08-31-2022 03:04 PM

Ruth

Looks like no card sales either..just books etc. Since they didn't know what it what based on the title and not grading it; they just threw it up there to see what would happen. Probably no idea what they had.

So cool though. Love knowing this stuff is still out there in old boxes waiting to be found!!!

mordecaibrown1 08-31-2022 03:56 PM

Old Cards

It may have been someone walked into the book store with a old box of cards

https://www.collectorfocus.com/image...35/book-store2

Aquarian Sports Cards 08-31-2022 03:56 PM

I like the Python-esque -Cards not appearing in this auction- photo.

ullmandds 08-31-2022 04:14 PM

Hot damn that’s some card!!! Awesome to just find in a box! It’s gonna sell for close to 40 grand.

philo98 08-31-2022 04:26 PM

Weird time to end a high dollar auction though.

Carter08 08-31-2022 04:29 PM

Already jumped to 27k

eliminator 08-31-2022 05:12 PM

I’ve got a couple of questions:

1.) Which Grading Company will inspect the card to guarantee its meets the EBay Authenticity Guarantee? What happens if it’s reviewed by CSG under the EBay Authenticity Guarantee and you have PSA grade it on your behalf and it’s found to not be authentic?

2.) The buyer takes a risk the card would only grade as an “A” when it’s submitted to the TPG. I don’t know if the value of the card in say a PSA “A” would justify how much the card will, more than likely bring in the auction but based on its rarity it may be worth much more.

It’s definitely a very cool and very rare card. It will be interesting to see what it sells for in the auction.

Jewish-collector 08-31-2022 05:20 PM

Stupid question, but sometimes you just gotta ask. Why didn't the seller have it authenticated/graded first before listing it ?

Casey2296 08-31-2022 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2259071)
Stupid question, but sometimes you just gotta ask. Why didn't the seller have it graded first before listing it ?

Look at the seller, they sell books out of a house. The listing says "Old Babe Ruth card". I don't think they had any idea of the value of what they had, I bet they're smiling now though.

brunswickreeves 08-31-2022 05:55 PM

I would proceed with caution on this auction*, although there is a 30 day return window, so the buyer has some protection. If the card is deemed 'Authentic' by eBay's program, I would still send it out for expedited grading to SGC/PSA once I received from eBay Authentication. Then would get an actual grade and holdered for peace of mind. And if grading rejects it, can be sent back to the seller in time of the 30 return window. HOWEVER, there is a catch with returning an eBay Authenticated card. Once you break the blue seal on the back of the plastic sleeve in which the card resides (you would need to do this to send the card to SGC/PSA or they would do it at SGC/PSA in order to grade it), the residue transfers to the plastic sleeve from the flap which the seal was partially stuck to, and it transfers the words: Void. This therefore breaks the eBay Authenticity Guarantee return policy, so you're stuck with the card. It may be 'Authentic' per eBay Authentication standards, but ultimately rejected by the grading co. So it's a gamble.

*eBay Authenticity Guarantee is for the card they receive against the listing's information, to determine authenticity and accuracy (see below). The Ruth card in question has zero information pertaining to Year Manufactured or Manufacturer, nor is noted as Original.

Per eBay's FAQs:
3. Description of the Authenticity Guarantee Service.
After the purchase of an Eligible Item (description in Section 5(a) below) on eBay.com, the item is shipped to a vetted third-party authentication partner (“Authentication Partner”) to carefully inspect the item for authenticity and accuracy against the item listing.

Directly 08-31-2022 06:12 PM

Estimated value if Graded PSA ??

Anyone have a ideal / intuition on a estimated value if this card Grades say a PSA 2 or 3?

chadeast 08-31-2022 06:20 PM

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ny-population/

Jewish-collector 08-31-2022 06:23 PM

Understood. But, I still would have sold it thru an auction house, not ebay. Thx.

Carter08 08-31-2022 06:38 PM

Really odd time to end an auction. A ruth collectors know was guessing 45k.

eliminator 08-31-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadeast (Post 2259088)

Great Article! However the article states the card will be reviewed by PSA. I just reviewed the EBay guarantee and it states that raw cards are reviewed by CSG and slabs are reviewed by PSA. However, I guess you have the 30 day return protection.

bigfish 08-31-2022 06:41 PM

??????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2258996)
Ask people bidding on it if they think it's outing it? :)

posting here prior to the auction ending certainly isn't helping those bidding on it.

CrackaJackKid 08-31-2022 07:28 PM

For all those complaining about the outing….think about how many times “Babe Ruth” is searched on eBay a day? Did you really think it would remain a secret? SMH

Leon 08-31-2022 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid (Post 2259118)
For all those complaining about the outing….think about how many times “Babe Ruth” is searched on eBay a day? Did you really think it would remain a secret? SMH

There is virtually a 100% chance there are more bidders because of this thread. Other than that, yeah, it wasn't a total secret. I hadn't seen it and I search ebay daily.

ullmandds 08-31-2022 07:36 PM

I hadn’t known about it until I saw this thread but since then I have seen it in numerous other places. Got my bid in!!!

Casey2296 08-31-2022 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2259121)
There is virtually a 100% chance there are more bidders because of this thread. Other than that, yeah, it wasn't a total secret. I hadn't seen it and I search ebay daily.

Really? You think there's members here who know what an Uncle Jacks Ruth is and have the resources to go after it? I'm gobsmacked...

This post literally threw a fresh cadaver into a pool of hungry well seasoned sharks.

swarmee 08-31-2022 07:57 PM

And now Sports Collector's Daily has an article on it. But agree, if you search Babe Ruth and sort by highest price auction, it will pop out rather quickly.

LincolnVT 08-31-2022 08:02 PM

Ruth

To: Whoever wins it

Reach out to me after it’s graded…I love that it was found here in Vermont.

G1911 08-31-2022 08:08 PM

As a buyer only, I like when people shut up about things they've figured out on eBay I'm bidding on, as it increases the odds I might win the poorly listed item. I've spent more than one listing nervous a badly listed card is going to appear on the boards and I'm not going to win as a result.

However, I have never understood why this as a moral thing many hobbyists believe; that people who spot something have some sort of ethical duty to tailor their actions to help the potential buyers at the cost of the seller, instead of the other way around. I don't think I would have any reasonable standing to be upset if someone publicly mentioned a card up for public sale.

NiceDocter 08-31-2022 08:14 PM

Live and learn

My apologies to anyone who I inadvertently caused a problem with this auction. I thought since it had so many views and bids already plus the sellers stated in their description that they had numerous calls and emails to end the auction early that this was no secret. Maybe it would be best to just wait until the dust settles after the final bidding before bringing something like this on a post again. Again I meant no harm but will do it differently in the future. I’m pretty sure that this was going to go wherever it ends up with or without this thread but we will never know.

Snapolit1 08-31-2022 08:18 PM

No need to apologize in my book. It’s on eBay for godssake. This is not state secrets we are talking about. A few people who thought an eBay auction was somehow a deep state secret need to get over themselves.

QUOTE=NiceDocter;2259146]My apologies to anyone who I inadvertently caused a problem with this auction. I thought since it had so many views and bids already plus the sellers stated in their description that they had numerous calls and emails to end the auction early that this was no secret. Maybe it would be best to just wait until the dust settles after the final bidding before bringing something like this on a post again. Again I meant no harm but will do it differently in the future. I’m pretty sure that this was going to go wherever it ends up with or without this thread but we will never know.[/QUOTE]

Michael B 08-31-2022 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Snapolit1;2259150]No need to apologize in my book. It’s on eBay for godssake. This is not state secrets we are talking about. A few people who thought an eBay auction was somehow a deep state secret need to get over themselves.

I would have to whole heartedly agree with Steve on this. If you are doing a daily search on ebay and have 'Babe Ruth' or 'Ruth' as your search parameters under sports cards you would most likely see this card. I know that most people search using 'newly listed' as part of their search. If you do that you generally know the last items you saw and at what time of day. Anything that looks odd in the image next to the title you are probably going to open the listing.

Jewish-collector 08-31-2022 08:51 PM

If you search by highest price "Babe Ruth" on ebay, this comes up first and it is funny as hell they're charging $6 for shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35198838010...=20001&mkevt=1

ullmandds 08-31-2022 08:53 PM

Plain white envelope?

Casey2296 08-31-2022 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 2259146)
My apologies to anyone who I inadvertently caused a problem with this auction. I thought since it had so many views and bids already plus the sellers stated in their description that they had numerous calls and emails to end the auction early that this was no secret. Maybe it would be best to just wait until the dust settles after the final bidding before bringing something like this on a post again. Again I meant no harm but will do it differently in the future. I’m pretty sure that this was going to go wherever it ends up with or without this thread but we will never know.

All in good fun Rocky no need to apologize.

Carter08 08-31-2022 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2259169)
All in good fun Rocky no need to apologize.

Agreed.

Bigdaddy 08-31-2022 10:03 PM

Two thoughts on this thread:

1. 'Outing' a public auction is not a thing.

2. That is not a visually appealing Ruth card.

EddieP 09-01-2022 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2259163)
If you search by highest price "Babe Ruth" on ebay, this comes up first and it is funny as hell they're charging $6 for shipping.

They’re mailing it book/periodical rate. Which means it’ll get to then authenticator in 4-6 weeks:D.

It’s nearing $34,000 and I like how he wrote that the rest of the cards are not included in the deal. Meanwhile, The rest of the things he’s auctioning off will get him under $1000. I bet the seller is going to wake up in shock this morning.

What was interesting The opening bid was $9.99 ( disclosure I put a bid in when it was still at double figures).

Meanwhile this guy’s not getting any bites :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385093138192

I guess the adage is true, as a seller you should open bids at low numbers to get more eyeballs :p

Snowman 09-01-2022 03:06 AM

Letting the community know about a card they might be interested in is seen as a "bad thing" here? lol :rolleyes:

ullmandds 09-01-2022 07:26 AM

49K...WOW! Who sniped me?????:eek:

Carter08 09-01-2022 07:27 AM

Looks like it went for 49k.