Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Slab advice and opinions for your own PC (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328716)

Belfast1933 12-09-2022 08:01 AM

Slab advice and opinions for your own PC

I always appreciate Net54 crowd source opinions regarding my collection… here’s another question I’d welcome opinions on.

90% of my collection are in slabs (probably 80% SGC, 15% PSA and 5% BVG)

I have 6-8 raw HOF cards that are no great shakes in terms of condition nor would I likely flip at any point for profit/reinvestment ie, 1968 Don Drysfale, 1964 stand up Bill Mazeroski, etc)

I am tempted to spend $15-20 per card to get them slabbed just purely for aesthetics and consistency of the look of my HOF display shelves, etc.

I am not familiar with current costs or turnaround time for PSA - I believe SGC is still quite inexpensive and quick in turnaround.

Anyone thinking about this too for their own collection?

Jeff

Rad_Hazard 12-09-2022 08:56 AM

I do this with SGC for my PC stuff. They have been extremely fast, responsive, and I've had zero issues over multiple orders.

steve B 12-09-2022 11:16 AM

Having something like 40+ years of different holders/pages, I'm not particular about what holder something is in. I have a few slabbed cards, most of them ones I sent in to SGC myself. I try to limit that to nicer cards, Stuff that obviously won't grade much above a 1 or 2 that's common just isn't worth it. I can spend the money on more cards.

raulus 12-09-2022 04:52 PM

You're going to spend about $18 per card at PSA if you do a bulk submission today ($30 if not bulk), and it will take 4-6 months to get it back, at least based on advertised turnaround times, and what I'm generally seeing.

And you're limited to $199 or less in value on the bulk submission, per card. If you're at $205, they probably won't upcharge you. But don't get cute with trying to sneak in stuff that is 4 and 5 figures.

Volod 12-09-2022 08:16 PM

Maybe off topic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2291964)
Having something like 40+ years of different holders/pages, I'm not particular about what holder something is in. I have a few slabbed cards, most of them ones I sent in to SGC myself. I try to limit that to nicer cards, Stuff that obviously won't grade much above a 1 or 2 that's common just isn't worth it. I can spend the money on more cards.

Plus one, Steve. We must have both started in the late '70's, when grading was not even on the horizon. Only three cards in my collection of thousands are in slabs, and only because I failed to acquire them back in the '80's when grading was barely underway. I admit that those three annoy me slightly by their somewhat smug slabbed arrogance, but I resisted the idea of cracking them out only because they are expensive key cards in their sets. Most of my ungraded collection is EX-MT, but have never felt the need to have any graded. Maybe it amuses me to think that whoever has to liquidate the hoard will curse my inconsideration in not monetizing it. :rolleyes: