Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tim McCarver, two-time World Series champion and TV broadcaster, dies at 81 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331774)

butchie_t 02-16-2023 02:27 PM

Tim McCarver, two-time World Series champion and TV broadcaster, dies at 81

Rest easy sir. Your commentary was always a joy to listen to.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tim-mcc...195100769.html

jingram058 02-16-2023 02:43 PM

We shared the same home town, Memphis. RIP sir...

eusmawh 02-16-2023 02:46 PM

Great broadcaster. Loved listening to him through the years. Not a bad player either. Although I didn't know him personally he seemed like a really great guy also. RIP Tim!!

FrankWakefield 02-16-2023 06:08 PM

Tim McCarver... Wow, I had just thought of him last night. I know and understand that some folks grew weary of his banter as a broadcaster, I enjoyed it, he knew the game. He actually had pretty good numbers over the years. At least I thought he did. I'm glad that I saw him play. As a southpaw, I liked that he batted left-handed. He seemed to have a great mental grasp of the game situation with each pitch. I saw him steal home in game 7 of the 1964 World Series (a good day for a young Redbirds fan, Cards win the World Series, Gibson gets the win, Brock hits a home run, brothers Ken and Clete Boyer each hit home runs, and Mickey Mantle hits his last WS home run).

A bit of a trivia question... first correct answer will win a T206 card, a white border tobacco card. My choice, and it'll be in rough condition, it won't be nice enough to grade, no whining, but you can't beat 'free'.

The question... Tim McCarver, the $75,000 signee for Cards scout Buddy Lewis, makes his professional debut as a player in 1959, who was the home plate umpire for Tim McCarver's first baseball game as a professional?

First posted correct answer will get a T206 card. I won't be watching this every moment, but will eventually see whatever answers are offered.

In my mind I can see him running to first after hitting a pitch, he ran pretty well, and from the left side he could get down to first surprisingly well.

Vintagedeputy 02-16-2023 06:11 PM

I enjoyed him as a ballplayer, but his broadcasting to me was nauseating. I'll remember the good playing days though....RIP.

Collectorsince62 02-16-2023 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
17 year old Tim McCarver plays his first home game. Wearing uniform #51 and leading off for the Cardinals he singles in the 1st and scores his first career run. He walks in the 2nd and singles again in the 4th as the Cards beat the Phillies 6-4. When he signed this scorecard, he opened it up and was commenting on what he remembered about that game. It was really fun to hear him reminisce. The first game I ever attended was at old Busch Stadium. Tim McCarver hit a home run off Sandy Koufax. I was hooked.

Peter_Spaeth 02-16-2023 08:21 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-dies-at-81

What a picture of him and Gibson.

FrankWakefield 02-16-2023 10:33 PM

I'm maybe not remembering this correctly, but I recall Mike Shannon saying something once about back in the day, no one wanted to interrupt Bob Gibson when he was pitching. On a hot summer day in July or August, Gibson had gotten into a jam, in the late innings. Manager Schoendienst wanted someone to go talk to Gibson and settle him down, but Schoendienst would say something to a coach to go out and talk to Bob Gibson. It'd be high humidity and in the high 90s. No one wanted to go out there and interrupt Gibson . One day, when some coach was forced out to the mound, play stopped, the infielders and McCarver gathered at the mound as Bob Gibson glared at each of them. The coach tries to say something about how to pitch the next batter. McCarver says something, and Gibson looks at him and says "what the hell are you doing out here? The only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it." The story went that McCarver turned and returned to the plate.

I'm annoyed with myself, I've been digging around trying to find a McCarver card. I know I have a near set of 1967 Topps, but can't find that binder tonight. and I have several 60's cards, I think 62, and I'm certain I have a 64, 65, 66... But I can't locate the box that they should be in. Grrrrr... I did find a Morris Berg business card indicating that he was with the Commerce Department in Washington DC, as well as two 90 year old golf cards depicting Bobby Jones. But no McCarver card. This thread needs a card.

Nice scorecard and ticket stubs, Collectorsince62!!!!

obcbobd 02-17-2023 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2315220)
Tim McCarver...

A bit of a trivia question... first correct answer will win a T206 card, a white border tobacco card. My choice, and it'll be in rough condition, it won't be nice enough to grade, no whining, but you can't beat 'free'.

The question... Tim McCarver, the $75,000 signee for Cards scout Buddy Lewis, makes his professional debut as a player in 1959, who was the home plate umpire for Tim McCarver's first baseball game as a professional?

First posted correct answer will get a T206 card. I won't be watching this every moment, but will eventually see whatever answers are offered.

In my mind I can see him running to first after hitting a pitch, he ran pretty well, and from the left side he could get down to first surprisingly well.

I know but I used google. Let's see if someone know without googling.

I never would have guessed otherwise ;-)

butchie_t 02-17-2023 06:53 AM

Jocko Conlan Mainly because that is the only umpire name that popped into my head. Don't really know any other ones.

shrug,

Thanks

Butch

HercDriver 02-17-2023 06:54 AM

Guess

I'll go with Jocko Conlan for my guess. Actually, it's the only one I know, so easy to guess!

Cheers,
Geno

Snapolit1 02-17-2023 07:05 AM

McCarver was a new breed of announcer. Analytical, not just same old stories. But as his career progressed I found him harder and harder to listen to. Felt like I was being lectured at by a college professor. There is a line between Phil Rizzutto just being a goofball and McCarver providing a 9 minutes lecture on a sacrifice bunt. Baseball is supposed to be fun to spend time with, it's not life saving surgery.
Sort of like Tony Romo today, McCarver just talked way too much and cracked wise way too often. I don't mind some dead air in a baseball broadcast. In fact I prefer it.
I much prefer Joe Buck. Less didactic.

carlsonjok 02-17-2023 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2315220)

According to Baseball-Reference, the home plate umpire was Al Barlick.

triwak 02-17-2023 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Because every thread needs a card. R.I.P. Grew up watching him play. Great Cardinal.

ALR-bishop 02-17-2023 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim

Peter_Spaeth 02-17-2023 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2315294)
I'm maybe not remembering this correctly, but I recall Mike Shannon saying something once about back in the day, no one wanted to interrupt Bob Gibson when he was pitching. On a hot summer day in July or August, Gibson had gotten into a jam, in the late innings. Manager Schoendienst wanted someone to go talk to Gibson and settle him down, but Schoendienst would say something to a coach to go out and talk to Bob Gibson. It'd be high humidity and in the high 90s. No one wanted to go out there and interrupt Gibson . One day, when some coach was forced out to the mound, play stopped, the infielders and McCarver gathered at the mound as Bob Gibson glared at each of them. The coach tries to say something about how to pitch the next batter. McCarver says something, and Gibson looks at him and says "what the hell are you doing out here? The only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it." The story went that McCarver turned and returned to the plate.

I'm annoyed with myself, I've been digging around trying to find a McCarver card. I know I have a near set of 1967 Topps, but can't find that binder tonight. and I have several 60's cards, I think 62, and I'm certain I have a 64, 65, 66... But I can't locate the box that they should be in. Grrrrr... I did find a Morris Berg business card indicating that he was with the Commerce Department in Washington DC, as well as two 90 year old golf cards depicting Bobby Jones. But no McCarver card. This thread needs a card.

Nice scorecard and ticket stubs, Collectorsince62!!!!

McCarver told a wonderful story about how he learned from Gibson to challenge his own prejudices. After a game, McCarver tells Gibson, a colored gentleman is waiting to see you. Gibson replies, oh, what color is he?

ALR-bishop 02-17-2023 01:04 PM

McCarver also told a story about going to the mound in a game after Gibson had issued a couple of walks "to calm him down". Gibson tells him, "McCarver get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it"

McCarver got to play on some great Cardinal teams, unlike his successor Ted Simmons

Peter_Spaeth 02-17-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 2315500)
McCarver also told a story about going to the mound in a game after Gibson had issued a couple of walks "to calm him down". Gibson tells him, "McCarver get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it"

McCarver got to play on some great Cardinal teams, unlike his successor Ted Simmons

Right, Frank posted that above.

pclpads 02-17-2023 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2315351)
McCarver was a new breed of announcer. Analytical, not just same old stories. But as his career progressed I found him harder and harder to listen to. Felt like I was being lectured at by a college professor. There is a line between Phil Rizzutto just being a goofball and McCarver providing a 9 minutes lecture on a sacrifice bunt. Baseball is supposed to be fun to spend time with, it's not life saving surgery.
Sort of like Tony Romo today, McCarver just talked way too much and cracked wise way too often. I don't mind some dead air in a baseball broadcast. In fact I prefer it.
I much prefer Joe Buck. Less didactic.

If you want a chore, try reading his book from about 1987. I got about 30 pages into it then put it down. BORING!! Always felt sorry for the guy. After a long career on the diamond then in the booth, he goes out as partner w/ Joe Buck. Good God!!

Deertick 02-17-2023 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Obtained in person while at the Springsteen concert at the First Union Center in Philly in 1999.

obcbobd 02-17-2023 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obcbobd (Post 2315335)
I know but I used google. Let's see if someone know without googling.

I never would have guessed otherwise ;-)

I can't wait anymore

Brent Musburger

FrankWakefield 02-17-2023 04:30 PM

Brent Musberger was the home plate umpire... please pm me your mailing address.

1959 Midwest League, Keokuk Cardinals, in Iowa...

FrankWakefield 02-19-2023 10:26 AM

Yankee fans are a bit more likely to "not care for" Tim McCarver than are other baseball fans. There are many reasons... Here are two...

1. 1964 World Series, 11 for 23, 5 RBI, 1 HR, stole home, BA .478, SLG .739

Those are powerful numbers...

2. Foretelling how the Yankees are about to lose, just moments before they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNt3UuDTBz8

doug.goodman 02-19-2023 02:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 2315255)
The first game I ever attended was at old Busch Stadium. Tim McCarver hit a home run off Sandy Koufax.

I have scored programs from 257 of the 397 games that Koufax pitched, and one of them happens to be your first game at Busch on June 21, 1963.

The other scorecard (with a ticket stub) is McCarver's first career HR on July 13, 1961 off Tony Cloninger.

Rest in Peace, Tim McCarver.

ALR-bishop 02-19-2023 03:06 PM

In 1963 and 1964 "old" Bush stadium was the formerly Sportsman's Park on Grand Avenue. In 1966 the Cardinals moved to the then "new" round Bush Stadium downtown. They moved across the street to their current Stadium in 2006. I attended my first World Series game in 1964 and second in 1967, and my last in game 6 in 2011.

Collectorsince62 02-20-2023 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=doug.goodman;2316183]I have scored programs from 257 of the 397 games that Koufax pitched, and one of them happens to be your first game at Busch on June 21, 1963.

Doug - I kept the scorecard and ticket stubs from that first game I ever attended and still have them. Koufax was one pitch away from a third straight shutout when McCarver homered. Musial then pinch hit and drew a walk. Sandy was taken out but Curt Flood grounded out to end the game. My Dad took me to that game because he wanted me to see Stan Musial play before he retired. To my everlasting chagrin, we left early and didn't see the McCarver homer or the Musial at bat. My Dad wanted to go to a nearby rib joint and beat the crowd. Ugh! So I never saw Musial play . . . but it made meeting him years later that much better.

FrankWakefield 02-20-2023 09:16 PM

Great memories, Collector!

I saw Mr. Musial in 1963. Dad wanted to get me to a game to see him, as did your Dad. And my Dad sometimes fell victim to the 'beat the crowd' crowd. I can't fault that...

And over the years, I've gotten quite a few people to a ball game, even though the closest teams are 4 hours away.

doug.goodman 02-20-2023 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 (Post 2316603)
I kept the scorecard and ticket stubs from that first game I ever attended and still have them ... To my everlasting chagrin, we left early.

The thrill of victory ... the agony of defeat.