Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card holder for gravestone? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=331777)

Vintage Vern 02-16-2023 04:03 PM

Card holder for gravestone?

Does anyone know of a holder that would be good for this application?

RCMcKenzie 02-16-2023 09:10 PM

Pardon my ignorance, is this satire, or is there some modern subset that is referred to as "gravestone", like "Heritage" or "Sparkling Ice"?

HexsHeroes 02-17-2023 06:11 AM

I suppose it depends on several factors such as whether displaying/attaching to a vertical monument or horizontal flat stone, whether free standing or to be attached, need for UV protection, etc.

That said, I am not aware of a specific product for this purpose but image something acceptable using available products could be constructed.

I have encountered gravesites where both a child’s personal sports card, or the deceased favorite ball player pictured on a sports card have been displayed. But none using a product specifically marketed for that purpose.

Vintage Vern 02-17-2023 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 2315278)
Pardon my ignorance, is this satire, or is there some modern subset that is referred to as "gravestone", like "Heritage" or "Sparkling Ice"?

Nope. . Serious question. I'm trying to find something that is weather tight, and UV resistant if it exists? I'm wanting to put a card on a headstone or monument.

Snapolit1 02-17-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Vern (Post 2315378)
Nope. . Serious question. I'm trying to find something that is weather tight, and UV resistant if it exists? I'm wanting to put a card on a headstone or monument.

Ask a gravestone company located near the closest cemetary. Increasingly stones have color photos and the like embedded, all of which are done in a way that they seemingly withstand the elements. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult. But, no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.

steve B 02-17-2023 08:13 AM

I can't think of any pretty solution.

The closest I can get is a penny sleeve into an upside down toploader with some split tubing around the outside for weather protection. Or maybe copper foil like some stained glass uses?

Holding it onto the stone would be the challenge. If they allow construction adhesive that might work. But unless the toploaders are better now, it will need to be changed out every few years.

Polycarbonate- lexan- blocks a lot of UV, and a couple pieces with a gasket, and foiled around the outside could also work. With the same difficulty in attaching.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 02-17-2023 08:15 AM

Yep, they've been doing this for a long time with photos; I'd think 100 years or more. I recently saw an episode of "Finding Your Roots". David Duchovny's grandmother died in the early 1930's. A photo was added to her headstone at that time, and it still looks good today.

While this goes against a collectability perspective, strong lamination in one form or another would be the best preserver against the elements if the card is just going to stay there forever. Just visit your nearest monument seller. They will know what to do for you.

DHogan 02-17-2023 08:23 AM

Some old gravestones had pictures made of ceramic photos. I saw some on a website for gravestone companies that still make them.

HexsHeroes 02-17-2023 08:38 AM

One of the local cemeteries has a child's grave in which someone used one of those garden/plant stakes that allows placing seed envelope in top pouch. The stake and pouch are all metal, and the pouch only allows displaying the front of the seed envelope. But whomever placed it inserted an acrylic snaptite holder containing the child's personal baseball card into the pouch instead of seed envelope.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 02-17-2023 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHogan (Post 2315389)
Some old gravestones had pictures made of ceramic photos. I saw some on a website for gravestone companies that still make them.

Good point. I believe the one I referenced on the Duchovny headstone was of this variety.

Yoda 02-17-2023 10:51 AM

Hope you are feeling ok.

RCMcKenzie 02-17-2023 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Vern (Post 2315378)

Oh, I see now, I'm sure they make some sort of outdoor acrylic holders. Good luck with it.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 02-17-2023 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2315454)
Hope you are feeling ok.

Funny, I had a feeling he wanted to add a card to Clemons' headstone. Funny how one person jumps to an entirely different conclusion from another.

CardPadre 02-17-2023 11:21 AM

Ultra pro has some thick 1/2 and 1 inch lucite brick screwdowns with UV protection. Maybe add a little silicone caulking to the seams for full weatherproofing?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...471ebd1ec4.jpg

packs 02-17-2023 11:23 AM

Does it have to be the actual card? Probably a company out there who can do a high quality engraving or enameling to reproduce the card image.

G1911 02-17-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 2315464)
Does it have to be the actual card? Probably a company out there who can do a high quality engraving or enameling to reproduce the card image.

If you want a baseball card on your tombstone, I would do this while commissioning it. That seems the most sensible way to accomplish if it is how one wants to be memorialized.

Peter_Spaeth 02-17-2023 11:56 AM

Judging by prices on ebay, myslabs and other venues, it seems many people these days must want to be buried with their cards. There may be a market for coffins specially fitted to accommodate cards.

Eric72 02-17-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2315381)
...no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.

Of course not. How would they ever get people to re-sub anything?

Vintage Vern 02-17-2023 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2315460)
Funny, I had a feeling he wanted to add a card to Clemons' headstone. Funny how one person jumps to an entirely different conclusion from another.

Close. Its actually his parents. Verne is resting in Florida. Me I'm gonna do the burn me, and dump me. After 1 or 2 generations no one cares anymore.

Casey2296 02-17-2023 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2315476)
Judging by prices on ebay, myslabs and other venues, it seems many people these days must want to be buried with their cards. There may be a market for coffins specially fitted to accommodate cards.

Turns out you can take it with you...
-

Huck 02-17-2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2315381)
Ask a gravestone company located near the closest cemetary. Increasingly stones have color photos and the like embedded, all of which are done in a way that they seemingly withstand the elements. This doesn't seem like it would be difficult. But, no, PSA is not yet marketing the Eternal Card Holder.

That made me laugh out loud.

G1911 02-17-2023 07:00 PM

I plan to be buried in a mausoleum stuffed with cigarette cards. The unique pieces in my collection will be stapled to my casket itself, on an altar built out of Mecca boxing cards.