Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay Authenticate - what do you get? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334825)

Rob L 04-30-2023 11:46 PM

eBay Authenticate - what do you get?

Stupid question but I sold a 1928 9”x12” Fro Joy Babe Ruth Redemption photo recently. I had no clue this all goes through an authentication service by eBay. I sent it off to the authenticator and it passed within an hour of them getting it. I was just curious what you get from their authenticator?

EddieP 05-01-2023 03:45 AM

Well, since it went to the authenticator and passed, no matter what happens now: 1) you’re getting paid, 2) any problems now is between the buyer and eBay.

Rob L 05-01-2023 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieP (Post 2336305)
Well, since it went to the authenticator and passed, no matter what happens now: 1) you’re getting paid, 2) any problems now is between the buyer and eBay.

I’m yea, I get that. I’m not concerned by the eBay stuff, I’m just wondering if the buyer gets some sort of COA/LOA or is it just that a formality that means ebay takes responsibility for the item and the buyer just gets the item.

raulus 05-01-2023 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob L (Post 2336346)
I’m yea, I get that. I’m not concerned by the eBay stuff, I’m just wondering if the buyer gets some sort of COA/LOA or is it just that a formality that means ebay takes responsibility for the item and the buyer just gets the item.

No COA/LOA to my knowledge. Basically you just get their implied word that it’s legit since it passed inspection.

lug-nut 05-01-2023 10:08 AM

I've had a few...

5 Attachment(s)
As a buyer of a tobacco cards through eBay (maybe different for 9x12) they deliver the card in a really thick cardboard display thing that's actually not bad. Additionally, they put both sgc and psa holders in a sleeve with an eBay seal and QR code that says something like "authentication is void if seal is broken." I've never checked the QR code but I'm assuming it will take me to some site where the information is stored.

EddieP 05-01-2023 10:08 AM

There’s a QR code that comes with the authenticated card. Zapping the QR code reveals: 1) the name of card 2) date it was authenticated.

raulus 05-01-2023 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieP (Post 2336396)
There’s a QR code that comes with the authenticated card. Zapping the QR code reveals: 1) the name of card 2) date it was authenticated.

Is this approach true for both raw and graded cards? I’ve seen this for graded, but I’ve never actually received a raw card through the program (yet).

Exhibitman 05-01-2023 11:19 AM

The really great thing about the few I've gotten is that the tamper proof seal on the baggie doesn't really adhere to it, so I have a nice fraud-ready baggie. :D

Just joking; don't anyone have a thrombo. The baggies haven't been secure but I just chuck them.

lug-nut 05-01-2023 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2336410)
Is this approach true for both raw and graded cards? I’ve seen this for graded, but I’ve never actually received a raw card through the program (yet).

Yes both raw and graded. If I remember correctly, eBay sent me information on the service and there was a minimum $ amount, maybe $400? I buy graded only and anything that was pricey (for me) went to the authentication, anything less came to me directly.

Here is a PSA 9 and raw example

EddieP 05-01-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2336410)

Yes, it is true for raw cards also. Zapping the QR reveals the same thing. In fact if the raw card is mislabeled by the seller, CSG will correct it in the QR info. However, this doesn’t hold true for slabbed cards. I bought some cards whose slabs were mislabeled and PSA kept the same mislabel in the QR.

edit: apologies to lug-nut. I answered before scrolling through the rest of the thread.

Exhibitman 05-01-2023 04:51 PM

And yes, you can still 'opt out' of the program by putting "set break" in the title of your listing.

EddieP 05-01-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2336524)
And yes, you can still 'opt out' of the program by putting "set break" in the title of your listing.

No, they closed that loop-hole.