Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cracking graded cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343291)

garymc 11-30-2023 05:05 AM

Cracking graded cards

I was wondering what kind of tool the grading companies use to crack open a graded card? I'm sure they don't do it the way I do with a screwdriver and a hammer ! Also wonder how other member do it ?

the reason I crack open my cards is that I store and display them in binders.

JollyElm 11-30-2023 05:42 AM

A couple of years ago, I did a quick cracking out video tutorial. It's only about 3.5 minutes long. Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynvzyfNcIVM

jingram058 11-30-2023 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymc (Post 2392908)
I was wondering what kind of tool the grading companies use to crack open a graded card? I'm sure they don't do it the way I do with a screwdriver and a hammer ! Also wonder how other member do it ?

Jolly's tutorial is how to do it.

I've cracked all my graded cards, and like you, I store and display mine in binders.

glynparson 11-30-2023 08:26 AM

Sgc I just use a spoon or box cutter old sgc you can sometimes do with no tools
At all . PSA I clip off a corner and use a screw driver. Same with Beckett.

bnorth 11-30-2023 08:34 AM

On SGC and older PSA slabs I use a knife in the corner and they pop apart easily. On the newer PSA slabs I break most of the outer lip off and then pry apart. The first couple of the new PSA slabs snapped apart easily with a few twists.

parkplace33 11-30-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garymc (Post 2392908)

For your original question, I would assume they use a machine to open the slabs, but what kind or method is a trade secret.

commishbob 11-30-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynparson (Post 2392944)
Sgc I just use a spoon or box cutter old sgc you can sometimes do with no tools
At all . PSA I clip off a corner and use a screw driver. Same with Beckett.

Pretty much the same for me.

I leave a few pre-war cards in slabs since they are not part of sets and I don't want any more damage/wear than they already may have. For my sets ('57->'80) I always popped them and put them in binders. Always.

Peter_Spaeth 11-30-2023 11:34 AM

Can PSA tell now if more recently graded but cracked out cards have been graded before?

raulus 11-30-2023 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2392992)
Can PSA tell now if more recently graded but cracked out cards have been graded before?

I think we always wonder about that.

At the same time, given their demonstrated capabilities when it comes to actually delivering their core service, it’s hard to imagine that they’ve figured out how to really discover if they’ve seen a card previously.

bnorth 11-30-2023 12:25 PM

Quote:

Yes they can and they always accurately grade cards. I believe both are urban myths.:eek:

FrankWakefield 11-30-2023 09:41 PM

What raulus said... +1 to that.

I doubt they'd figure it out if I sent a liberated card back in to be entombed again, and with the card I sent a "before" picture showing the card in the slab, along with the slab bits and the grade slip.

I have wondered if they do or one day will put a uv number on each card they grade for future reference... but that would be damaging / altering the card, wouldn't it??

Another worry I have is when a graded T card's slip misidentifies the back. Did they really make that obvious mistake, or might there be two T cards stacked together there... and if it's the latter, is the back of the top card damaged and the front of the bottom card damaged.

Methinks too many people put way too much faith in grading companies.

Peter_Spaeth 11-30-2023 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 2393143)
What raulus said... +1 to that.

I doubt they'd figure it out if I sent a liberated card back in to be entombed again, and with the card I sent a "before" picture showing the card in the slab, along with the slab bits and the grade slip.

I have wondered if they do or one day will put a uv number on each card they grade for future reference... but that would be damaging / altering the card, wouldn't it??

Another worry I have is when a graded T card's slip misidentifies the back. Did they really make that obvious mistake, or might there be two T cards stacked together there... and if it's the latter, is the back of the top card damaged and the front of the bottom card damaged.

Methinks too many people put way too much faith in grading companies.

My guess would be it's technologically possible, either by a super detailed scan with the database making the match, or some invisible harmless mark. But I am guessing.

darkhorse9 12-01-2023 09:34 AM

I'm having an existential problem. My entire collection is raw, but I finally finished my 1952 low number set with a PSA 1 Mays.

Do I crack a $2,600 card to make it raw and get it right with my binders? Or do I keep it sealed?

CardPadre 12-01-2023 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse9 (Post 2393212)
I'm having an existential problem. My entire collection is raw, but I finally finished my 1952 low number set with a PSA 1 Mays.

Do I crack a $2,600 card to make it raw and get it right with my binders? Or do I keep it sealed?

Crack it! That's a good thing about ones, you're never gonna make it less than a one.

Cmvorce 12-01-2023 12:02 PM

I cracked mine for the same reason as you and never regretted it. I cracked a Jackie and Campy 52 Topps as well. Crack away!

Quote:

butchie_t 12-01-2023 12:18 PM

I opt to set many of my entombed cards free. I use a combination of heavy duty cutters and a small flat blade screwdriver. I snip off the top corners and then work the screwdriver into the escape holes and tweak the plastic apart.

It is great to see a card take its first breath of clean air after all that time being cooped up.

butchie_t 12-01-2023 12:19 PM

Quote:

Open it up and let him rightfully join his spot in the binder.

JMHO

Fred 12-01-2023 02:54 PM

Darren - respect! Gotta hand it to you, that was fun to watch.

Wow - cracked a '68 Topps Mays PSA8!

I'd be so paranoid of screwing up a card like that.

JollyElm 12-01-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2393323)
Darren - respect! Gotta hand it to you, that was fun to watch.

Wow - cracked a '68 Topps Mays PSA8!

I'd be so paranoid of screwing up a card like that.

The saddest part of it all is, after wiping away the wax/gum gunk (which took merely seconds and didn't cause any damage), I sent it off to PSA in Bobby's group sub...and it only came back a 7!!!!!!!!!! The same exact card, but slightly 'better,' got a lower grade!!!!!

This whole grading thing is witchcraft!!!

Snowman 12-01-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

No, they cannot. I crack and resubmit cards every month. I almost never get the same grades. Even cards with very recent certs.

Snowman 12-01-2023 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2393330)
The saddest part of it all is, after wiping away the wax/gum gunk (which took merely seconds and didn't cause any damage), I sent it off to PSA in Bobby's group sub...and it only came back a 7!!!!!!!!!! The same exact card, but slightly 'better,' got a lower grade!!!!!

This whole grading thing is witchcraft!!!

You should expect every card with an old cert to regrade lower today. At least by 1 grade, and often by 2 full grades or more.