Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Decmber pick ups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343415)

ooo-ribay 12-02-2023 12:22 PM

Decmber pick ups

2 Attachment(s)
OK, so it's not a 19th century cabinet photo or a ring bat or an oversized 1910's pennant...I love this kind of kitschy stuff for my low end Giants collection. 55 years old, still sealed and the hang hole hasn't even been punched. This was produced in 1968...a time that was, in my opinion, a golden age of baseball. So many incredible players. The Giants finished in second place in 1968; something they did over and over in that decade. :mad:

mitleth 12-03-2023 10:56 PM

Ol' Pete Type 1

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this up in tonight's REA auction. I spent...way more than I had planned. I am from his hometown and he is buried about a half mile from my childhood home. Our town has a festival celebrating him every summer. I always wanted one item (not a card) that would be "perfect." Once I put eyes on this one I had to have it. These old portrait photos have always amazed me and I had never seen one like this of Grover.

Schlesinj 12-04-2023 12:28 AM

Incredible image. Congrats.

Scott Garner 12-04-2023 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitleth (Post 2394007)
Picked this up in tonight's REA auction. I spent...way more than I had planned. I am from his hometown and he is buried about a half mile from my childhood home. Our town has a festival celebrating him every summer. I always wanted one item (not a card) that would be "perfect." Once I put eyes on this one I had to have it. These old portrait photos have always amazed me and I had never seen one like this of Grover.

Awesome Alexander photo! Congrats!:cool:

Vintage Yankee 12-04-2023 06:01 PM

Awesome image. Congrats!

pherbener 12-04-2023 09:08 PM

Quote:

That's an awesome photo! Congrats. I understand your desire to pursue an image like that. I've made Christy Mathewson a focus of my collection being that I'm from his hometown Congrats again!

mrreality68 12-05-2023 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2394024)
Incredible image. Congrats.

+1 Agree the image is amazing and the clarity/details are extreme.
Even more amazing having been taken so long ago

Congrats

pherbener 12-05-2023 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked up this Ted Williams photo to go with my 1942 picture pack image,

perezfan 12-05-2023 11:38 PM

Beauty, Paul...

The clarity of that Type 1 is off the charts. Pretty cool that you found an original matching photo.... Congrats!

sicollector1954 12-06-2023 06:25 AM

Aagpbl

1 Attachment(s)
A very interesting letter to the Peaches bat girl about the upcoming season and her thoughts. Millie Deegan.

ooo-ribay 12-06-2023 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicollector1954 (Post 2394667)
A very interesting letter to the Peaches bat girl about the upcoming season and her thoughts. Millie Deegan.

Very cool. A google of Horni Signals took me here:

https://gardenstatesignals.net/horni-traffic-signals/

Would you imagine this was Millie’s “day job”?

Vintagecatcher 12-08-2023 12:53 PM

Circle 1910 German children's tea cup with baseball theme

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up this pristine 1910 era children's tea cup with baseball scene including catcher that arrived today.

Patrick

Topnotchsy 12-09-2023 10:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm incredibly excited about this acquisition. For a while I was unsure if one of these existed like this one.

This program is from the GI World Series, played in Nurmberg in September 1945 at Soldier Field. The field was previously a site for made German rallies, and Hitler had a large complex on the site.

Highly significant for its symbolism from a military perspective, the significance extended in another direction. The series was played between the OISE All Stars and the 71st Infantry Red Circlers’. The OISE team was integrated and included former Negro League HOFers Leon Day and Willard Brown.

The programs had to make it back from Europe safely, making them exceedingly rare to begin with, but a few copies of these programs have surfaced over the years (roughly 6-7 in my estimation).

Until recently though, I was unaware of a copy that existed that had been scored. Given the circumstances, I imagined that the copies that survived were the ones that were thrown in soldiers' luggages, rather than taken to the ballpark and scored.

Recently a scored copy popped up and I was able to acquire it. Significantly, the starting pitcher for the OISE squad was Leon Day. And fortuitously, this program was from Game 2 of the series, when Day pitched 8 innings, gave up just 1 run and struck out 10 on the way to a 2-1 victory. The other game that Day pitched was Game 4, and in that game, Day came out on the losing side. The OISE team had a surprise upset, winning the series 3 games to 2.

One other interesting tidbit from the program was that HOF outfielder Willard Brown played shortstop in this game.

Here is an extensive link to items associated with the tournament in general and this series in particular.

https://chevronsanddiamonds.org/2019...ies-scorecard/

doug.goodman 12-10-2023 12:33 AM

That's an amazing program Jeff.

Congrats.

edtiques 12-10-2023 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ... I picked up this pin a couple of days ago. I believe it's a rare pin. If anyone could help out with the value, I certainly would appreciate it. Thanks in advance...... Ed

edtiques 12-10-2023 04:17 AM

Quote:

Great image! Congratulations!!

ooo-ribay 12-11-2023 10:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple of things arrived today...

1958 SF Giants Packard Bell Johnny Antonelli card/sked. As I don't "do" cards, I consider this a sked. There were four of these. Antonelli, Hank Sauer, Bill Rigney and Willie Mays. I now have the first three. Mays is ridiculously expensive. There are three on ebay right now...$4300, $4900 and $8900. I don't see myself ever scoring one of those. :p

Next, a 1977 parking pass to go with others I have. I believe these were issued to players, team employees and journalists; not to the game attendees.

doug.goodman 12-11-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2396187)
Next, a 1977 parking pass to go with others I have. I believe these were issued to players, team employees and journalists; not to the game attendees.

Those passes are very cool, and you are right that they were not issued to game attendees, as I drove to lots of games at Candlestick and never got one.

Huck 12-11-2023 01:46 PM

Agreed. Those parking passes are really cool.

ooo-ribay 12-11-2023 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2396236)
Those passes are very cool, and you are right that they were not issued to game attendees, as I drove to lots of games at Candlestick and never got one.

Thanks….but I didn’t mean you stinking Dodgers fans. :p

I meant I don’t think even Giants season ticket holders could get season parking passes…and, if they could, these decals weren’t what they got. A few of mine came from Nick Peters’ daughter. Nick was a Giants beat writer forever.

doug.goodman 12-11-2023 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2396250)
Thanks….but I didn’t mean you stinking Dodgers fans. :p

I meant I don’t think even Giants season ticket holders could get season parking passes…and, if they could, these decals weren’t what they got. A few of mine came from Nick Peters’ daughter. Nick was a Giants beat writer forever.

Maybe they specifically DIDN'T give me one BECAUSE I was a Dodger fan?

I usually had my Dodgers jacket on, sometimes a hat.

That MUST be it.

Merry, Happy, etc, even to Giants fans,
Doug

PS - even with the new signing, we still have no pitching...

ooo-ribay 12-11-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2396257)
Maybe they specifically DIDN'T give me one BECAUSE I was a Dodger fan?

I usually had my Dodgers jacket on, sometimes a hat.

That MUST be it.

Merry, Happy, etc, even to Giants fans,
Doug

PS - even with the new signing, we still have no pitching...

Sorry, Doug. For some reason, I’ve been little grumpy for the past day or so. :mad:

doug.goodman 12-11-2023 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2396299)
Sorry, Doug. For some reason, I’ve been little grumpy for the past day or so. :mad:

No apology necessary, I didn't read your note as grumpy, I read it as good-natured ribbing off a fan of the long time rivals.

batsballsbases 12-11-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2396320)
No apology necessary, I didn't read your note as grumpy, I read it as good-natured ribbing off a fan of the long time rivals.

I read it as grumpy But who am I to say Im a Yankee fan....:D:D

Vintagecatcher 12-12-2023 05:07 PM

2nd German tea cup

1 Attachment(s)
Found another German tea cup.

Patrick

doug.goodman 12-12-2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2396372)
I read it as grumpy But who am I to say Im a Yankee fan....:D:D

Who cares what a Yankee fan thinks.

Insert smiley face here.

ooo-ribay 12-12-2023 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2396634)
Who cares what a Yankee fan thinks.

Insert smiley face here.

You guys should be kindred spirits…Evil Empire and Evil Empire 2.0

JMEnglish27 12-21-2023 02:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1960-61 Visalia A's...Visalia being local to me, this is one I didn't expect to ever get my hands on.

mrozie21 12-22-2023 07:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was able to add a few more stadium pieces to the collection from Tiger Stadium - scoreboard letter and ticket takes box.

GrayGhost 12-22-2023 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrozie21 (Post 2399003)
I was able to add a few more stadium pieces to the collection from Tiger Stadium - scoreboard letter and ticket takes box.

Fantastic stuff!

For me, got this unscored but lineup posted program from Mel Ott's 400th yr program. First NL player to 400 and 500!HRs

Vintagedeputy 12-24-2023 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a 1950’s vintage Brooklyn patch in an antique store.

Collectorsince62 12-25-2023 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very happy to acquire this Ty Cobb signed ball last week from the original owner. A quick trip to Newspapers.com verified the date and location as an event Cobb attended as a celebrity umpire.

Schlesinj 12-30-2023 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This was the one that got away during the Uncle Jimmy auctions that I regretted not bidding one more time. Good way to end 2023.

Attachment 603282

Attachment 603283