Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where is the market?...is a "crash" coming (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343468)

oldschool73 12-03-2023 05:26 PM

Where is the market?...is a "crash" coming

Hello,

I'll start by saying that i am first a collector...but a "conservative" one who appreciates a "deal". I am curious to know where my fellow 50's-70's baseball collectors & those who invest..think we are with prices today? IMO-we are still headed for a recession in the US (I hate being negative but I don't see how we avoid this)...so think card prices may/should drop accordingly.

I welcome thoughts/opinions.

-os73

bcbgcbrcb 12-03-2023 06:35 PM

When the pending doom of a recession actually arrives, history has shown that the average time frame lasted is only about 9 months with a positive turnaround on the other side of it. I think the imminent doom and gloom beforehand is much worse than the recession itself. I think we have been and are continuing to experience this already for quite a while now.

Johnny630 12-03-2023 06:40 PM

Post War has Substantially Corrected from the highs which I contend many may have been fluff numbers…we are entering imo a normalization period…we will be up from pre pandemic but nowhere near as up as in what cards were selling for in major auctions back in 2021.

I seen a few dealers this weekend with tons of over priced graded post war….none of it was selling. The reason it’s for sale and not up for auction is because they don’t have the guts to roll the dice…they know people aren’t paying up like they did.

Pre War and the Post War Killer Names Centered in higher grades are all more then Fire 🔥 Cobb Ruth Wagner Jackson Mantle Jackie and Mays.

BioCRN 12-03-2023 06:42 PM

Keeping it strictly cards, I'm seeing a slow-down in buying, but I'm not seeing people selling off their collections to pay bills or otherwise get loot.

The "Ebay museum" of overpriced pre-war vintage doesn't seem to be coming down and there doesn't seem to be much new inventory making it's way there for sale that would indicate people needing to sell off for other needs.

rjackson44 12-03-2023 06:43 PM

Yes the market is crashing ,thats why i bought 1 k in vintage hockey😳😳💃🏼

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 07:00 PM

How many times can we keep doing this?

theshowandme 12-03-2023 07:03 PM

I will keep buying

raulus 12-03-2023 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393932)

For as long as it takes!!!

mrreality68 12-03-2023 07:22 PM

I believe there are several threads on this including one just a few weeks ago.
But regardless over the long haul there is definitely growth.
Vintage is less risk and more steady than modern.

To most of us who are collectors
1. Buy what you enjoy
2. Try buying the best card you can afford of the card you want and focus on eye appeal, centering etc.
3. Try not to use your charge cards to pay for it unless you get rewards points and can pay it off fast.
4 sharing your collections and things you win with pictures so we can enjoy your collection with you. As we all collect different things and some similar and we enjoy see what others have

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 07:39 PM

Where is the market going?
Are we at a peak?
Are we at a bottom?
Should I buy now or wait?
Should I sell now or wait?
Where do you see the market a year from now? A month from now? Tomorrow?
What cards do you think will gain in value? Retain their value? Drop in value?

What happened to collecting?

Snapolit1 12-03-2023 07:46 PM

Economists have correctly called 25 of the last 6 recessions.

oldschool73 12-03-2023 07:46 PM

Lucky you..so fortunate to have infinite disposable income and not worry about price.

Lucky you..so fortunate to have infinite disposable income and not worry about price.

trambo 12-03-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393932)

I'm thinking maybe like six more times..... :D

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 07:49 PM

Don't I wish but not at all the point. The points are these: 1. This has been discussed ad nauseum on a near-constant basis. 2. Nobody here knows the future, it's a meaningless conversation.

samosa4u 12-03-2023 07:54 PM

The SCI 500 shows us that prices have been falling since 2021. When are we going to hit the bottom? Nobody knows.

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2393954)
The SCI 500 shows us that prices have been falling since 2021. When are we going to hit the bottom? Nobody knows.

Never seems to happen to any card I want though.

Madi$on18joshua 12-03-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreality68 (Post 2393942)
I believe there are several threads on this including one just a few weeks ago.
But regardless over the long haul there is definitely growth.
Vintage is less risk and more steady than modern.

To most of us who are collectors
1. Buy what you enjoy
2. Try buying the best card you can afford of the card you want and focus on eye appeal, centering etc.
3. Try not to use your charge cards to pay for it unless you get rewards points and can pay it off fast.
4 sharing your collections and things you win with pictures so we can enjoy your collection with you. As we all collect different things and some similar and we enjoy see what others have

well said Jeffrey!

samosa4u 12-03-2023 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393955)

You should start a YouTube channel lol

oldschool73 12-03-2023 07:57 PM

Thanks for being omniscient on worthwhile discussion.why interject if not worthwhile?

Thanks for being omniscient on worthwhile discussion.why interject if not worthwhile?

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2393957)
You should start a YouTube channel lol

LOL. Could I be any worse than SCR or Geoff Wilson?

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trambo (Post 2393952)
I'm thinking maybe like six more times..... :D

Maybe we could have a permanent thread.

Snapolit1 12-03-2023 08:11 PM

It's pretty remarkable how if you watch one TV network for any period of time you walk away firmly convinced that (a) we have never had more violent crime in the history of the country and (b) the economy has never been worse in our lifetimes. :)

BobbyStrawberry 12-03-2023 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2393962)
It's pretty remarkable how if you watch one TV network for any period of time you walk away firmly convinced that (a) we have never had more violent crime in the history of the country and (b) the economy has never been worse in our lifetimes. :)

Hmm....which TV network could that be? :)

Mark17 12-03-2023 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2393965)
Hmm....which TV network could that be? :)

It changes every 4 years based on whom the networks want to blame. The networks that paint a rosy picture now will flip to negative, and vice-versa.

BobbyStrawberry 12-03-2023 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2393966)
It changes every 4 years based on whom the networks want to blame. The networks that paint a rosy picture now will flip to negative, and vice-versa.

On this we agree

Exhibitman 12-03-2023 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393945)
Where is the market going?
Are we at a peak?
Are we at a bottom?
Should I buy now or wait?
Should I sell now or wait?
Where do you see the market a year from now? A month from now? Tomorrow?
What cards do you think will gain in value? Retain their value? Drop in value?

What happened to collecting?

Yes.

Exhibitman 12-03-2023 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 2393954)
the sci 500 shows us that prices have been falling since 2021. When are we going to hit the bottom? Nobody knows.

"sci 500"?

Peter_Spaeth 12-03-2023 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2393970)
"sci 500"?

Index started in the pandemic by Geoff Wilson, one of the modern investment types with a big online presence. Not sure of the components.

Flintboy 12-03-2023 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool73 (Post 2393884)
Hello,

I'll start by saying that i am first a collector...but a "conservative" one who appreciates a "deal". I am curious to know where my fellow 50's-70's baseball collectors & those who invest..think we are with prices today? IMO-we are still headed for a recession in the US (I hate being negative but I don't see how we avoid this)...so think card prices may/should drop accordingly.

I welcome thoughts/opinions.

-os73

This depends on who you ask. If you ask a dealer, there been absolutely no down turn, just look at the prices on their cards at shows. You ask any collector, prices have been trending downward since the COVID era.

RCFire82 12-03-2023 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2393919)
Pre War and the Post War Killer Names Centered in higher grades are all more then Fire 🔥 Cobb Ruth Wagner Jackson Mantle Jackie and Mays.

I've seen it with the others...but Reggie Jackson?

Mark17 12-04-2023 02:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And Jackie Coogan??

brianp-beme 12-04-2023 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark17 (Post 2394032)
And Jackie Coogan??

That Addams Family card is well centered...Uncle Fester's head is sunken down smack dab into the middle of his sternum.

Brian

Pato15 12-04-2023 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFire82 (Post 2394000)
I've seen it with the others...but Reggie Jackson?

Don't be silly. They're obviously talking about Roy Lee Jackson

BabyRuth 12-04-2023 07:10 AM

Just some food for thought:

1968 Topps 3-D Uncut sheet with Clemente and 2 proof cards

Summer 2023 REA Lot#1402 sold for $29,400

Fall 2023 REA Lot#2149 hi bid $13,000 - not sold reserve not met

Looks like the exact same sheet, with the exact same description for both auctions.

What a difference 3 months make!!!

Leon 12-04-2023 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393961)
Maybe we could have a permanent thread.

And it can be stickied to the top of each section!!

and a card...

https://luckeycards.com/e126.jpg

parkplace33 12-04-2023 07:45 AM

I don't predict a crash, but it was very telling that several REA lots did not meet their respective reserves last night.

toledo_mudhen 12-04-2023 07:54 AM

How does that Fester Card only grade a 6??????

WTF

butchie_t 12-04-2023 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen (Post 2394100)
How does that Fester Card only grade a 6??????

WTF

It's obvious, ... no light bulb. :cool:

butchie_t 12-04-2023 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool73 (Post 2393958)

The simple point is this. You are the latest with one of countless posts, asking the same question. How or what is the market doing and is it gonna crash? or many, many, variations therein.

No one here can predict this at all. Everyone has pretty much the same market information that everyone else has. So the questions and the answers are all the same. dunno.

It is just tiresome to answer a question that never has an answer to it, over and over again.

Cheers,

Butch Turner.

Peter_Spaeth 12-04-2023 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2394106)
The simple point is this. You are the latest with one of countless posts, asking the same question. How or what is the market doing and is it gonna crash? or many, many, variations therein.

No one here can predict this at all. Everyone has pretty much the same market information that everyone else has. So the questions and the answers are all the same. dunno.

It is just tiresome to answer a question that never has an answer to it, over and over again.

Cheers,

Butch Turner.

This.

jchcollins 12-04-2023 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2393955)

Ditto. Even with postwar standard stuff that isn't rare by any stretch of the imagination. The BIN's remain high on most decent looking midgrade slabs, and waiting out auctions with any consistency to get a real deal has never been my strong suit...

frankbmd 12-04-2023 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2394035)
That Addams Family card is well centered...Uncle Fester's head is sunken down smack dab into the middle of his sternum.

Brian

The Fester card is mislabeled. I believe that is a Fetterman RC, not Fester.

Fred 12-04-2023 08:23 AM

Supply and demand, right? Economic conditions play a role, but the bottom line is the demand. As long as there are people (collectors or investors) that are willing to pay high prices for cards, then there will be strength in pricing (demand).

What hurts the pricing is when people get greedy and try to manipulate the market and create the illusion of a "hot" market with hype or other means.

At some point in time the investor side will get burned because they're buying with the idea the card "market" will continue to rise and they'll find out the hard way that the pricing will not continue to grow infinitely when they don't have a chair to sit in when the music stops.

As long has you have two people willing to bid up prices, there will appear to be strong demand.

To the investors out there: Keep the hype machine going but make sure you have your chair when the music suddenly stops because if you don't have a chair, then welcome to the collecting community (unless of course you want to take a financial loss and dump your cardboard because you really never cared for it in the first place). :p:o;):)

BobbyStrawberry 12-04-2023 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2394115)
Supply and demand, right? Economic conditions play a role, but the bottom line is the demand. As long as there are people (collectors or investors) that are willing to pay high prices for cards, then there will be strength in pricing (demand).

What hurts the pricing is when people get greedy and try to manipulate the market and create the illusion of a "hot" market with hype or other means.

At some point in time the investor side will get burned because they're buying with the idea the card "market" will continue to rise and they'll find out the hard way that the pricing will not continue to grow infinitely when they don't have a chair to sit in when the music stops.

As long has you have two people willing to bid up prices, there will appear to be strong demand.

To the investors out there: Keep the hype machine going but make sure you have your chair when the music suddenly stops because if you don't have a chair, then welcome to the collecting community (unless of course you want to take a financial loss and dump your cardboard because you really never cared for it in the first place). :p:o;):)

Well said. I have to admit that I'm skeptical of all claims that "the good stuff (whatever that means) will never go down in value". Every collector has to know that these little pieces of cardboard have essentially zero intrinsic value, right?

oldschool73 12-04-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2394106)

Cheers,

Butch Turner.

Then why even read/answer the thread?..just move on.

raulus 12-04-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool73 (Post 2394168)

It's like a train wreck. We can't not watch!

Plus we all want our part in the conversation, so not responding is not really a viable option.

So instead, we get to debate whether the whole premise of the debate is worthy of debate.

And complain, of course. Plus complain about the complaining.

butchie_t 12-04-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldschool73 (Post 2394168)

Better yet, don't ask a question that will never have an answer and post it on a board for all to answer.

Because you will get an answer, just not an answer to an unanswerable question.

Butch Turner

Peter_Spaeth 12-04-2023 10:31 AM

A crash is definitely coming. I am 100 percent certain. My stars, Ouija board, palm reading, tea leaves, and tarot cards are all in perfect alignment. My local gypsy concurs as well.

packs 12-04-2023 10:44 AM

If thinking about your cards futures is too much, I am offering my help in taking them off your hands so you can clear your mind. I will pay you only what I want to pay, seeing as thinking about their price is giving you such anxiety.

This is my gift to you.

ejharrington 12-04-2023 10:48 AM

I see no evidence at all that there is a bear market in anything that I collect. To the contrary, prices keep going up.