Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has Anyone Heard About Mantel? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=346571)

marzoumanian 02-20-2024 04:07 PM

Has Anyone Heard About Mantel?

Minutes ago I watched a CNBC segment that featured Alexis Ohanian (the Reddit chief honcho and 776 founder) and Brent Montgomery. They were promoting a new "collectibles community." I just Googled the word and here is a paragraph about who else is behind this:

"Mantel has secured investors including Steve Aoki’s Aoki Labs and Gary Vaynerchuk (VaynerFund), as well as Courtside Ventures, Switch Ventures, Cosmic Venture Partners and co-founder of The Athletic, Adam Hansmann. WNBA legend and broadcaster Candace Parker and founder of Hodinkee and Fairgame Golf Benjamin Clymer are also among the investors. Patrick Keane, the former CEO of sports betting media and tech company Action Network, serves as an adviser to Mantel."

I read a news release and it makes it clear that Mantel is still in "beta" mode. Ohanian made it clear on this CNBC segment that he went absolutely BONKERS over collectibles about seven years ago.

Bottom line? This in nothing more than a "heads up" about Mantel. It looks like there is a LOT of money behind it. Will it succeed? Who knows.

Peace.

4815162342 02-20-2024 04:26 PM

Looks like a Twitter/X clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brianp-beme 02-20-2024 05:49 PM

They spelled Mickey's last name wrong...not a good start for this venture.

Brian

Huck 02-20-2024 07:18 PM

I happened to be watching CNBC when the piece aired. I had the same thought on big money in the hobby. It is not clear to me what the plan is to monetize
the site. Ads? Ebay type platform? Selling user lists? All three plus? I found it interesting when the Reddit guy said "my expertise is seeing trends, at times 10 years before it happens" or something along those lines and "a friend of mine said collecting cards etc. is back." The Reddit guy seems like a real collector. I say that because he had the computer game he remembered playing as a kid in a slab. I was unaware that cartridges of that size could be slabbed. His collection seems all over the place. Mantel is the name not Mantle.

JollyElm 02-20-2024 07:57 PM

Other names they considered calling it: :D

Rooth
Robbinsun
Cahb
Clemmentay
Yung
Maize
Yasstremskee
Jacksin
Berruh
Willyumz

Fred 02-20-2024 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2414448)

Rooth
Robbinsun
Cahb
Clemmentay
Yung
Maize
Yasstremskee
Jacksin
Berruh
Willyumz

That's funny :p

brianp-beme 02-21-2024 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2414448)

Rooth
Robbinsun
Cahb
Clemmentay
Yung
Maize
Yasstremskee
Jacksin
Berruh
Willyumz

I believe Erin was on the short list as well.

Brian

Jay Wolt 02-21-2024 07:50 AM

Maybe the founder was a 1955 Armour fan :rolleyes:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/R0IAA...Cd/s-l1600.jpg

maniac_73 02-21-2024 01:24 PM

Nobody is a bigger fan of Ohanian, Aoki and Vaynerchuk than Oahanian, Aoki and Vaynerchuk....I think Gary V made some good money Pumping and dumping NFT's and Junk wax, so this might be his next grift.

JustinD 02-21-2024 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maniac_73 (Post 2414551)
Nobody is a bigger fan of Ohanian, Aoki and Vaynerchuk than Oahanian, Aoki and Vaynerchuk....I think Gary V made some good money Pumping and dumping NFT's and Junk wax, so this might be his next grift.

Gary V is a bigger red flag than picking up a masked hitchhiker with an axe at 3 am.

Exhibitman 02-21-2024 04:47 PM

Some lineup.

I am pretty sure that "Mantel" is douche-speak for "Sucker."

bobbvc 02-21-2024 06:09 PM

Should have called it Card Collectdeerz Para-Site

Leon 02-22-2024 05:49 AM

Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by exhibitman (Post 2414593)
some lineup.

I am pretty sure that "mantel" is douche-speak for "sucker."

Snowman 02-22-2024 11:16 PM

Just making sure I'm following correctly... So nobody here actually knows anything about it yet, but since an extremely successful tech entrepreneur started it and received investment capital from a few wealthy celebrities who also happen to collect cards, it must be terrible and not worth learning anything about?

Did I get that right?

4815162342 02-23-2024 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2414861)
Just making sure I'm following correctly... So nobody here actually knows anything about it yet, but since an extremely successful tech entrepreneur started it and received investment capital from a few wealthy celebrities who also happen to collect cards, it must be terrible and not worth learning anything about?

Did I get that right?

Are you an investor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

raulus 02-23-2024 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 2414861)

Did I get that right?

You forgot the part where we mocked the name of the organization.

Leon 02-25-2024 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbvc (Post 2414609)
Should have called it Card Collectdeerz Para-Site

If I had a dollar for all of the ideas that were going to change the hobby drastically, that never did, I would be rich!

Republicaninmass 02-25-2024 04:49 PM

Just missing Evan Mathis for the "tri-f'ed-ya"

samosa4u 02-25-2024 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 2414576)
Gary V is a bigger red flag than picking up a masked hitchhiker with an axe at 3 am.

LOL! Very true!

marshallwave84 02-29-2024 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2414880)
You forgot the part where we mocked the name of the organization.

Yeah that is true...