Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 off back common prices (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349059)

inceptus 05-03-2024 05:22 AM

T206 off back common prices

Hey all. I had a couple of Hindus close on eBay last night with a prominent consignor, and I was a bit surprised at the prices realized:

Wilhelm PSA 2: $430
Pastorius PSA 3: $480

I had paid more than twice that per card within the past year or two.

Has anyone else noticed a similar softening in this segment of the market (off-back commons), or did my cards perhaps “get what they deserve” due to eye appeal, etc?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brooklynbotter 05-03-2024 07:07 AM

I won both cards and was puzzled myself. I feel like there just wasn't another Brooklyn set builder in on the auction. Maybe the auction ending on a weekday led to some potential bidders missing it? It's hard for me to understand how the Wilhelm with paper loss and an uglier back went for only $50 less than the very nice Pastorious.

inceptus 05-03-2024 10:30 AM

Congrats on winning the cards! Nice pickup.

Cory 05-03-2024 10:50 AM

non-common backs (i.e. anything besides piedmont & sweet cap) aren't my focus, but it definitely seems like they have come down some in price over the past couple of months.

iwantitiwinit 05-03-2024 11:14 AM

In my opinion, common T206 subjects with less common backs have come down significantly in the past few months. Demand doesn't seem to be be there much except in the case where the cards are offerred at premium auction houses ie, REA, Heritage, Mile High, etc.

MVSNYC 05-03-2024 12:00 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but the prices realized on these two Hindus were due to condition issues. I wouldn't bid on the Pastorius because of the ink mark on the front, nor the Wilhelm due to the condition of the back. But great pick ups for the price though!

I have not seen too much dipping of pricing on rare backs. I just picked up the Mike Powers Hindu PSA 3 in REA, which was almost $900 all-in.

Rich Falvo 05-03-2024 06:28 PM

I've noticed the same on a couple of low-pop T206 American Beauty backs recently. One sold for $750 in Feb 2022 and $225 in Feb 2024 and the other dropped from about $650 to $200 over the same time frame. I was glad to pick them up at the lower prices

JohnP0621 05-04-2024 10:13 AM

Rare backs

I have noticed that The price on T206 Rare backs have come down significantly.
It seems like every auction house is loaded with them. I’ve never seen so many
Carolina Brights, Broadleafs, Uzit and even Drums come up for sale. Some collectors are unloading all of them at once.There are so many available now. In the past if one of these rare backs came up for sale you would have many bidders for one card where now they have many to choose from and most collectors only want one of each back for their collection.Also take into consideration that several years ago you had some Big Players bidding up each card while chasing a master T206 Set with every card / back available. Add these factors plus a tough economy and that will drive card prices down.

Regards
John P

ricktmd 05-04-2024 12:15 PM

One of the largest collectors of off backs sold his gigantic collection through PWCC, then HA and finally REA (Uzit's). It appears that other collectors as well thought it time to sell their off backs as many have seem to come available. The prices have definitely come down. Like the stock market it takes bravery to buy on a down swing and hard to predict the bottom. Along with some of these big money sellers no longer being buyers with their high top all bids, alot of these cards are not doing anywhere near what they did a few years back. I sold a PSA 2 centered very nice common EPDG in REA 6 months ago and it did 90.00. 3 years ago it would be closer to double that

inceptus 05-05-2024 12:00 PM

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses!

MR RAREBACK 05-06-2024 04:43 PM

I was watching your hindu's they went for less than I thought they would.
I bought a bunch of drums recently so I was tapped out

MVSNYC 05-06-2024 05:57 PM

I believe the big, recent offering(s) of rare backs is done. The bottom has passed...you'll see them start to climb again.

(Edited to add: And to be honest, it was the low/mid-tier rare backs that had softened...the really rare backs barely took a slump. A dip, yes, but Drums, Uzits and BL460's still had robust prices during all those auctions.)

MR RAREBACK 05-06-2024 05:59 PM

I agree once in a life time opportunity:)

Leon 05-07-2024 03:34 PM

The market has softened on a lot of our goodies. And like has been said, if it isn't a top looking card, for the grade, collectors can be picky lately.

Talking about softening a little. I think the T206 Green Cobb has, in many instances, dropped in value. I am quite sure if I sold mine 1-2 yrs ago, it would have brought more. That is, if I wanted to sell it.