Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Google Search Is Now Much Like eBay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349228)

jingram058 05-08-2024 04:50 PM

Google Search Is Now Much Like eBay

It wasn't too long ago that you could do a simple search on Google (without resorting to quotation marks) for something like, 1936 All-Star Game (on topic with this pre-war forum), and actually get results relevant to that search. Now, you get a few, and a whole lot of crap totally unrelated. eBay search has become algorithmically frustrating in much the same way. I think stuff that gets posted such that it shows up in searches comes down to $$$ so that it gets priority or "sponsored". Total f-ing BS, in my humble opinion.

doug.goodman 05-08-2024 06:43 PM

yep

Eric72 05-08-2024 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2432690)
It wasn't too long ago that you could do a simple search on Google (without resorting to quotation marks) for something like, 1936 All-Star Game (on topic with this pre-war forum), and actually get results relevant to that search. Now, you get a few, and a whole lot of crap totally unrelated. eBay search has become algorithmically frustrating in much the same way. I think stuff that gets posted such that it shows up in searches comes down to $$$ so that it gets priority or "sponsored". Total f-ing BS, in my humble opinion.

I was interested, so I did a search for 1936 All-Star Game on Google. Here were the top 8 results:

1936 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
Wikipedia

1936 All-Star Game Box Score, July 7
Baseball-Reference.com

1936 MLB All-Star Game Roster - Major League Baseball
ESPN

1936 All-Star Game
Baseball Almanac

1936 All-Star Game Box Score
Baseball Almanac

East–West All-Star Game
Wikipedia

1936 MLB Season History - Major League Baseball
ESPN

1936 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAME ...
SCP Auctions

jingram058 05-08-2024 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2432739)
I was interested, so I did a search for 1936 All-Star Game on Google. Here were the top 8 results:

1936 Major League Baseball All-Star Game
Wikipedia

1936 All-Star Game Box Score, July 7
Baseball-Reference.com

1936 MLB All-Star Game Roster - Major League Baseball
ESPN

1936 All-Star Game
Baseball Almanac

1936 All-Star Game Box Score
Baseball Almanac

East–West All-Star Game
Wikipedia

1936 MLB Season History - Major League Baseball
ESPN

1936 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL ALL-STAR GAME ...
SCP Auctions

Sure, you will get the top results, but keep scrolling, or better yet, look at images. You'll see some, yes, but as you scroll down you will find everything but the 1936 All-Star Game.

Eric72 05-08-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2432764)
Sure, you will get the top results, but keep scrolling, or better yet, look at images. You'll see some, yes, but as you scroll down you will find everything but the 1936 All-Star Game.

Sorry, I guess searching Google yields different results for me than what you’re seeing. I searched 1936 All-Star Game and then chose Images. I scrolled through about a hundred images. Everything seemed on topic until about halfway through. There was a 1986 All-Star emblem. A bit further down, I started to see some football programs. So, no longer a baseball image. Still, it didn’t veer too far off course.

As for that other search engine…yeah, it definitely shows me items I’m not looking to buy.

Snapolit1 05-09-2024 12:49 AM

I think it’s cool that you type the name of one auction house and three other auction houses show up first.

Yes someone’s paying for top billing and it happens with all kind of businesses. But sort of annoying.

Leon 05-10-2024 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I Google Net54baseball and a subject I still seem to get pretty good results. Maybe Google just likes me as I am such a nice guy.

Here is an interesting tinype.. We don't see too many tintypes of women in baseball..Uncle Sam is kind of cool too.

NonSportDaniel 05-10-2024 12:18 PM

Why not use Duck Duck Go as your browser? No adds and no sponsored results. Google shows you what Google wants you to see. Duck Duck Go doesn't do that.

jingram058 05-10-2024 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 2433081)
Why not use Duck Duck Go as your browser? No adds and no sponsored results. Google shows you what Google wants you to see. Duck Duck Go doesn't do that.

You are quite right sir!

Kaneen 05-11-2024 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel (Post 2433081)

Will my somewhat artificially intelligent mind be blown if I do a Google search for "Duck Duck Go?" 🤔

Kco 05-14-2024 09:28 AM

As someone who works in the e-commerce and technology space with a good dose of paid search, Google will show you what is relevant to you within context, but will show the closest results that it's ad engine deems most likely to convert. Google works for the merchants, not the user trying to do basic searchs. Their number one goal is to convert searches to sales for their advertisers. If you search something obscure it will try to find what its AI deems the closest and show those results instead.

jingram058 05-14-2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kco (Post 2434367)
As someone who works in the e-commerce and technology space with a good dose of paid search, Google will show you what is relevant to you within context, but will show the closest results that it's ad engine deems most likely to convert. Google works for the merchants, not the user trying to do basic searchs. Their number one goal is to convert searches to sales for their advertisers. If you search something obscure it will try to find what its AI deems the closest and show those results instead.

Thank you, sir.

JollyElm 05-14-2024 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the standard algorithm used:

Attachment 621519

Leon 05-14-2024 05:54 PM

Nice, Darren.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2434470)
Here's the standard algorithm used:

Attachment 621519