Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Baffled for proper response to a shiny card question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349305)

Deertick 05-11-2024 11:34 PM

Baffled for proper response to a shiny card question

I lasted with a complete scan, that can't capture an accurate image (Rainbow foil), So I included a cell snap for a better representation of the colors,

How do you answer buyer questions about "ANY UFO spittle" or "What does the surface look like?" Would I be able to take an acceptable image depicting what issues that they may be looking for?
Thanks!

Lucas00 05-12-2024 02:41 AM

I'd tell them to look at the photos and condition you have it listed as. Sounds like some kind of bait and return tactic if you say it looks good, no issues etc, and then the buyer finds a miniscule thing that even a perfect photo won't pick up. They could return the card and use your message against you. Probably a fairly common tactic for psa 10 flippers, if they get it and can't say with 99% certainty it's getting a 10 and they could at best resell and break even or possibly be out grading fees and shipping. They will Instead just throw it right into the return pile and cost themselves nothing and you $10 for shipping both ways.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimist lol.

bnorth 05-12-2024 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2433403)
I'd tell them to look at the photos and condition you have it listed as. Sounds like some kind of bait and return tactic if you say it looks good, no issues etc, and then the buyer finds a miniscule thing that even a perfect photo won't pick up. They could return the card and use your message against you. Probably a fairly common tactic for psa 10 flippers, if they get it and can't say with 99% certainty it's getting a 10 and they could at best resell and break even or possibly be out grading fees and shipping. They will Instead just throw it right into the return pile and cost themselves nothing and you $10 for shipping both ways.

Maybe I'm just being a pessimist lol.

Pretty much had this exact thing happen recently only shipping cost was higher. It is probably wrong but I just block people that ask a lot of silly questions. Only worse crowd is the ones that actually send you shipping instructions.:eek:

swarmee 05-12-2024 06:32 AM

Sell it on COMC instead.

But yes, have them refer to your photos or block them for asking those type of questions so they can't return and neg you.

A lot of sellers put something like "all cards are NM-MT or above" to show that they may have some surface flaws.

Eric72 05-12-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2433418)
Sell it on COMC instead.

But yes, have them refer to your photos or block them for asking those type of questions so they can't return and neg you.

A lot of sellers put something like "all cards are NM-MT or above" to show that they may have some surface flaws.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This

Deertick 05-12-2024 05:20 PM

Thanks guys!

I usually accommodate requests for more info/pics as best I can, I just didn't know how to answer this. But I never even considered that my answer could be used to justify a flipper return.

Eric72 05-12-2024 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 2433947)
Thanks guys!

I usually accommodate requests for more info/pics as best I can, I just didn't know how to answer this. But I never even considered that my answer could be used to justify a flipper return.

Yep. And consider this:

If the flipper forces a return, how much care do you think they'll take when packaging the item to send it back to you? So, on top of everything else, you may get a damaged card.

One more thing:

If it were me, I'd block them and then reply to their message with, "please send me an image of UFO spittle, so I know what to look for."

Deertick 05-12-2024 11:16 PM

Lol, I didn't even respond to the UFO, guy just because. I blocked him. But the surface guy was cool, so i gave him my never-had-a-card-graded opinion. I ran down any defects I could find using a 10X calibrated loupe. My opinion was NM based on my old fogey system, but could be Mint if some of what I saw was "Normal" for that issue. Sent a couple of phone pics. He purchased 5 min later.:)
The other guy did not define UFO Artifacts in a timely manner :rolleyes:

JustinD 05-15-2024 03:19 PM

Coincidentally, 'UFO Spittle' is my user name on the Area 51 chatroom. :D

Deertick 05-16-2024 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2433954)
If it were me, I'd block them and then reply to their message with, "please send me an image of UFO spittle, so I know what to look for."

Eric, this is a very good suggestion that I glossed over during my first reading! I very well may have learned something new. I should have asked for an example instead of my ungallant "I have no clue what you are talking about." :o