Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Home Run Derby (The Original) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=86095)

Archive 07-10-2007 11:00 AM

Home Run Derby (The Original)

Posted By: <b>Casey</b><p>Great show coming out on DVD tomorrow! I thought many of you would have interest in this:<br /><br />TV ON DVD: ‘Home Run Derby’ hits a triple<br />Baseball fans and tube nostalgia nuts have something to look forward to. The 1959 TV series “Home Run Derby” hits DVD July 10 in the first of three summer-release volumes from MGM Home Entertainment.<br /><br />Legends like Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron swung for the fences at L.A.’s old Wrigley Field in a one-on-one television competition preserving their power on film at a time Major League Baseball was the undisputed king of American sports.<br /><br />The first DVD, coming out July 10, holds eight episodes, including the first: Mickey Mantle vs. Willie Mays. Mantle appears in four of the eight, which also feature Ernie Banks, Harmon Killebrew and other top swatters.<br /><br />The second set (out Aug. 14) has eight episodes, five with Hank Aaron. The third volume (out Sept. 25) includes Mays and Mantle again, adding the likes of Gil Hodges and Rocky Colavito, as the competition reaches its big finale.<br />

Archive 07-10-2007 11:16 AM

Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I loved this show! When I was eight this was about the only way you could see and hear these guys talk. If I remember correctly, at that time there was only a single nationally televised "game of the week." No ESPN, no Sportscenter.

Archive 07-10-2007 11:57 AM

Posted By: <b>DMcD</b><p>That's <u>GREAT</u> !! I remember watching this show back in small kid time, too. It will be terrific to see those ancient guys as young sluggers once more. Thanks for the heads-up!

Archive 07-10-2007 12:24 PM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I used to watch it every week too- almost never missed it.<br /><br />I guess this is one way to find out who the older guys on the board are!

Archive 07-10-2007 12:57 PM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I used to watch the reruns of this show on ESPN Classic. <br /><br />If anyone has one of the Dick Stuart cards in lesser condition I would be interested

Archive 07-10-2007 01:06 PM

Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>Since both American League and National League players were involved I assume this was filmed in the off-season but would be curious to know the details of when it was filmed. As a boy I lived in Burbank,California but moved in 1959 so I wouldn't have seen this in person although the Los Angeles PCL team played the Hollywood Stars at Wrigley Field so I was familar with the ballpark. Glad to see them bring this back.

Archive 07-10-2007 01:43 PM

Posted By: <b>Miguel Danielson</b><p>I was wondering if my memories of this show were a figment of my imagination. I watched in the mid 80s, when they replayed them on a local cable outlet. It was a great way to get some exposure to a few of the stars of that era. I remember it being the first time I had ever heard of Rocky Colavito, pre-occupied as my world was with Don Mattingly, Wade Boggs, and all the come-and-go rookies of the 80s.

Archive 07-10-2007 01:57 PM

Posted By: <b>Casey</b><p>I was also introduced to the show in the '80's, but really enjoyed it as a kid! It will be cool to see it again!

Archive 07-10-2007 02:25 PM

Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>I used to watch the re-runs...on tbs or something...they are awesome. The dialogue is riveting!!! Does anyone have the cards from 59' I believe?<br /><br />pete ullman