Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what is a good book on shoeless joe plus others (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91456)

Archive 12-07-2008 04:57 PM

what is a good book on shoeless joe plus others

Posted By: <b>j flitter</b><p>I'm looking for some books on these shoeless joe,cobb,wagner plus the history of pre-war chicago cubs.any advice would help<br>thanks in advance<br>jeff

Archive 12-07-2008 05:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>Eight Men Out

Archive 12-07-2008 05:14 PM

Posted By: <b>Tony N</b><p>Best book on Ty Cobb is &quot;Cobb&quot; by Al Stump<br><br>Wagner - I enjoyed the books by Delvaleria &amp; the other by Alfred Hittner<br><br>Joe Jackson - Shoeless by David Fleitz<br><br>Hope this helps. <br><br>Tony

Archive 12-07-2008 05:19 PM

Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p> &quot;Say It Ain't So Joe&quot; by Donald Gropman.

Archive 12-07-2008 05:22 PM

Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>shoeless joe- w.p. kinsella (the book that inspired the movie field of dreams)<br><br>luckiest man- gehirg<br><br>the big bam- ruth<br><br>the glory of their times

Archive 12-07-2008 05:29 PM

Posted By: <b>jflitter</b><p>thanks for the suggestions,looking for some fact based books to read<br>jeff

Archive 12-07-2008 05:29 PM

Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>The Complete Chicago Cubs by Derek Gentile, The Cubs The Complete Story of Chicago Cubs Baseball by Glenn Stout, WRIGLEYVILLE by Peter Golenbach

Archive 12-07-2008 09:35 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Mr. Fleming wrote a very good book about the Cubs' 1908 season, pennant race and all... The Unforgettable Season. By far it is the best book I've read on what happened.<br><br>And if you've not read The Glory of Their Times, start with it.

Archive 12-07-2008 09:45 PM

Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>The Stump book recommended earlier is mostly a work of fiction by a second-rate writer who, at the end of his life, turned to forgery and slander of the dead in order to make ends meet. Feel free to read it, but there are other far better things to read when it comes to Cobb. The other volumes recommended are worth reading, however.

Archive 12-08-2008 10:18 AM

Posted By: <b>John H.</b><p>I believe that &quot;Ty Cobb&quot; by Charles C. Alexander is generally acknowledged as the best book on the subject.<br><br>Two excellent SABR books are &quot;Deadball Stars of the National League&quot; and &quot;Deadball Stars of the American League&quot;. These books feature brief bios with photos on almost all notable players from 1901-1919. <br><br>Another terrific biography is &quot;Walter Johnson - Baseball's Big Train&quot; by Henry W. Thomas, Johnson's grandson. I highly recommend this one.

Archive 12-08-2008 10:46 AM

Posted By: <b>Daryle</b><p>&quot;Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball&quot; by Harvey Frommer