View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
...and a collector knows he has every "variation" to a set at any particular time how ? And, what is a variation ? Do you believe it to have some standard definition, and if so, what is the source of it ?

Not trying to be argumentative. I think the OP has raised a good question about how a collector knows he has a master set...and just saying he needs all variations I think does not answer it. Now if you are a PSA Registry collector the answer is easy at any given point. But, I'm not one.

Come on Doug, straighten us out
My definition of a "complete set" is one of each card listed in the SCD, which as Al (ALR-bishop) points out, is probably never going to change now that Mr. Lemke has retired.

The definition of a "master set" is, I think, more of a moving target. As Al mentions, having "all" variations really only means have all variations at the moment. Variations are constantly turning up, and always will. And, just because some people think a card is a variation, does not mean that all people agree that it deserves status as a "needed" card for your master set. And vice versa.

As an example, if you believe that all print dots are variations, then you will have a massive set, because I guarantee you that if you have 100 copies of a given card, you will find 100 tiny little print variations.

There are numerous threads on the forum regarding what does and does not constitute a variation. All of the ones that I have written are correct and complete, those written by others may not be.

Insert smiley face here.

Also, I don't consider the registries of third party graders to be relevant, just as I don't consider third party graders to be relevant.

I'll bet that every collector of master sets has at least one card that he believes to be a valid variation, that nobody else has on their list, and probably has at least one card that most people believe to be a valid variation, that he thinks shouldn't be. For me those cards are the 1958 Aaron blue background, and the 1958 Herrer.

Al and Dave are the kings of Topps baseball variations, although Al likes to avoid the title.

Doug