View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I found that after awhile, I started giving the card my own grades, probably like many of you do. It may say it's a 4, I may say it's a 3 as example. I guess I'm saying I look at the card first anyways, their grades are only a reference point-you make the final decision. I can see though, how it would matter more to someone from the selling point of view.

SGC
BVG
PSA

Sincerely, Clayton
I'm 100% with Clayton on this. Learn to grade your own cards. All of us go through a learning process when we get into vintage cards and memorabilia, so why not make grading your own cards as part of the process.

TPG does the hobby a great service by examining cards and weeding out the ones that are trimmed and altered. I'm sure that has saved collectors thousands of dollars. Assigning grades, on the other hand, is really not a useful service. First off, it's too subjective and the grade can be changed on a resubmission. Second, the various companies use different standards so cards will not always receive the same grades when crossed over. Finally, many collectors disagree with the grades anyway. Just too many variables for it to make any sense.

Collectors should grade their own cards, and the TPG's should just stick to authenticating and that's it. That has always been my position and I know you've seen me repeat it more than a few times.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-26-2012 at 08:15 AM.