View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm 100% with Clayton on this. Learn to grade your own cards. All of us go through a learning process when we get into vintage cards and memorabilia, so why not make grading your own cards as part of the process.

TPG does the hobby a great service by examining cards and weeding out the ones that are trimmed and altered. I'm sure that has saved collectors thousands of dollars. Assigning grades, on the other hand, is really not a useful service. First off, it's too subjective and the grade can be changed on a resubmission. Second, the various companies use different standards so cards will not always receive the same grades when crossed over. Finally, many collectors disagree with the grades anyway. Just too many variables for it to make any sense.

Collectors should grade their own cards, and the TPG's should just stick to authenticating and that's it. That has always been my position and I know you've seen me repeat it more than a few times.
Thanks Barry- I was hoping my post made sense

I also agree with everything you said. I think people's priorities will determine who likes what TPG better.....people who mostly only collect want consistency......people who mainly sell want whoever will give the highest grade *in some cases, even if it's not accurate.

My collection is like a big salad....SGC,BVG,PSA,and raw (sorry, no PRO ). I just want the card.

Sincerely, Clayton