View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Default Hank Aaron Autograph 1954

Thought this might be of interest. I bought this Government postcard as part of Ralph Winnie's collection years ago. Ralph would get the players autographs before or shortly after their major league debut. Note this Hank Aaron GPC is postmarked 4/27/1954 and is dated above the signature 4/26/1954. Also note that its postmarked from Milwaukee, Hank Aaron had his major league debut April 13th, 1954. Less than 2 weeks before this was supposed to be signed. Someone showed it to Aaron at a card show and he said "I never signed that" ...I was amazed he would have someone signing for him 2 weeks into his rookie season but I never the less put it on the shelf.

A few years ago several pre major league handwritten letters written and signed by Aaron sold at auction for ALOT of money, I looked at not just the signature but the handwritting and it appeared to match this GPC. So either Aaron was using a ghost signer almost immediately upon his major league debut or he can't recognize his own signature.
File Type: jpg aarongpc.jpg (61.2 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg aarongpc2.jpg (71.5 KB, 445 views)