View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Question about PSA/JSA "Guarantees"

*The comments below do not apply to established autograph dealers

-------------

How often do we encounter an unauthenticated autographed item where the seller "guarantees" it will pass a major 3rd party authentication?

Yet, how often do we come across a seller who not only offers a full refund on the item itself if it fails to pass the mustard, but also offers to reimburse the buyer of his/her out of pocket expenses to submit said item to PSA/JSA?

As a future seller of a number of vintage unauthenticated signatures, I'm just trying to figure out my best plan of action:

1. Spend the out of pocket expense to submit everything to PSA/JSA

2. Back my confidence in the item by offering to reimburse the buyer of both the sale price and authentication fees they spend, only to have it kicked back?

3. Make no such claims of authenticity since no one, in theory, can make an absolute 100% guarantee (short of witnessing it being signed in person or being the person who signed it themselves).

I am leaning toward #2 to give bidders a bit more confidence when bidding, but in reality, it seems like it would only come across as a halfhearted attempt. Really, I'm just a random stranger who says he will offer a full refund including fees. What legitimate proof can I offer a bidder?

Thanks and sorry for the mild ramble.

Chris